Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

aikido articles

dojo search
image gallery
links directory

book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

rss feeds

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #26
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
Re: One-handed ukemi

David Skaggs wrote:
Rember to always, always, always tuck your chin to your chest to protect your neck when doing a forward roll.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:04 PM   #27
Tom Johnson
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk

I'm a few weeks deep into my Aikido experience as well, and i must say my Ukemi also needs a bit of work. My class is full of shodan's, so I get loads of pointers on everything, but the one thing that has helped my ukemi thus far is just practising it.

When rolling before class i always went last so i wasn't rushed...but felt as if I was holding the class back so i'd cut short and walk to the other side. But I work at a hotel so when we're slow I go up to the ballroom's and roll across them, it has helped LOADS just repeating everything hundreds of times.

Although I still have a very sore left shoulder (i'm' left handed and subconsciously do more rolls on the left arm). I know with time, it will improve.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #28

When learning proper rolls from standing it is helpful to build up to standing gradually from kneeling. If you can do a roll with one knee on the ground, by extending the arm that makes contact with the ground so far underneath that your shoulder nearly makes contact with the ground, and then slowly transition to rolls that begin further and further away from the shoulder (with knees still bent but not all the way down) eventually to standing, it will be a smooth progression. If you do this and find the point in the progression where things start to go wrong, you can see very specifically what is happening.

Last edited by cguzik : 05-24-2006 at 03:14 PM.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!