Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-23-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
Charles
Am I starting wrong each and every time?

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...ocation%3Dtrue
Old 03-23-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
vjw
Dojo: Rochester Phoenix
United_States
Re: Am I starting wrong each and every time?

Hi Charlse,

If you are trying to increase your flexibility beyond its current level during a class warm up then I think you are starting wrong. My aim during warm up is to first warm up the muscles (a warm muscle will stretch further than a cold muscle). Then I go on to do movements that will prepare me for the class that I'm warming up for, exercises that will mimic the movements we will do and that will allow me to comfortably move in my normal range of motion. For example, before doing Kotegaeshi, you would apply Kotegaeshi to your own wrists in a gentle rhythmic motion several times. I used to attend a yoga class an hour before Aikido but found that my muscles had not recovered sufficiently to perform well in class. So I suggest you do static stretching at the end of class and other times when it will not affect your physical activities.

Hope this helps,
Vic
Old 03-23-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

My dojo does "lie back from seiza"exercise at the start of classes, and I can generally get my shoulders no closer than a foot from the mat, with some discomfort.

After a very vigorous two-hour seminar the guest instructor asked us to do this as a part of the wind-down, and I lay back flat on my back on the mat quite effortlessly. Since then I don't worry about doing anything to increase flexibility during start-of-class warmups; I just try to move a bit, get warmed up, and develop some rhythm. If I want to work on stretching, I do it afterwards.

Skipping the beginning of class warmup does *not* work for me; I tend to hurt myself taking ukemi if I haven't done some preliminary movement. But I think it's movement and warmth, not stretching, that matters. Jogging a few blocks works better than our warmup exercises, in fact (except that I hate doing it).

I have been pleased to find that, while I have never been flexible (stopped being able to touch my toes at age six) and this isn't improving a whole lot with training, it doesn't seem to get in the way of practicing and enjoying aikido.

Mary Kaye
Old 03-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
wmreed

Dojo: Columbus Aikikai
United_States

Interesting article. I'd have liked to have seen some references for the author's assertions, though.

William M. Reed
Columbus, OH USA
wmreed@columbus.rr.com
"I'm not the author William Reed -- yet."
Old 03-23-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
vjw
Dojo: Rochester Phoenix
United_States

Quote:
William M. Reed wrote:
Interesting article. I'd have liked to have seen some references for the author's assertions, though.
Check this link to an ACSM publication (page 6, Stretching and warm up) : http://www.acsm.org/pdf/0180FS53.pdf
Old 03-23-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
wmreed

Dojo: Columbus Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Victor Williams wrote:
Check this link to an ACSM publication (page 6, Stretching and warm up) : http://www.acsm.org/pdf/0180FS53.pdf
Thanks!

William M. Reed
Columbus, OH USA
wmreed@columbus.rr.com
"I'm not the author William Reed -- yet."
Old 03-25-2006, 06:26 AM   #7
Charles

Quote:
William M. Reed wrote:
So would I. If true it has rather striking implications.

We start every class with five or ten minutes of follow the leader as the instructor warms up. Now I'm reading that the stuff we typically do is exactly wrong.

My favorite way to warm up before that is the 4 mile, down hill, bicycle ride to the dojo (the way back up the hill after the class isn't so favored). Often when I drive I get there early enough to do some Yoga but perhaps I shouldn't. Or perhaps I should but then follow up with 15 minutes of subori or something more active.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:58 AM   #8
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

I took a course in "Prevention and care of athletic injury" and I recommend it for instructors. There is something good to keeping oneself curious and current to enhance one's professional development and responsibility. One basic thing I learned was that a warm up should involve movements that you are going to be performing. In gassho
Old 03-26-2006, 10:17 PM   #9
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

re "lie back from seiza"--every sports medicine/orthopedist/PT/ athletic coach i've spoken to confirms my gut feeling this is BAD for knees. it increases pressure within the knee joint for no good reason--there are separate and quite safe stretches for any muscle or muscle group you think you are accomplishing with this "traditional" stretch.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-27-2006, 06:47 AM   #10
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Saw a study in New Scientist on different warm-ups tested in the military. Stretching BEFORE exercise did not reduce injuries, but slowly warming the muscles (gentle exercise) did.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com