Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

View Poll Results: How much of Aikido training in the dojo depends on uke?
None- uke is never wrong 2 4.76%
25% 3 7.14%
50% 19 45.24%
75% 10 23.81%
100% 8 19.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2006, 01:47 AM   #1
John Matsushima

United_States
In the dojo, 90% of Aikido is uke

In our practice of the physical application of the techniques of Aikido, I have found that the skills of an uke are imperative to training. Learning Aikido and doing techniques is not just a individual activity, but demands cooperation between two people. The role of the uke is only to cooperate and move in a way that allows the nage to do a technique. It is not uke's place to teach, challenge, show openings, or overly resist nage's efforts. Nor should the uke simply move through a technique without any action of the nage. If the uke behaves in such a manner, then it hinders the nage's opportunity to learn and can confuse them or even lead them down the wrong path.

Here are some ways in which the uke should NOT behave:

1. The easy uke - Overreacts to atemi, and often jumps into ukemi. If the nage stops in the middle of a technique, the easy uke somehow keeps going through the technique and throws himself.

2. The stiff uke - Just stands there like a statue and waits for you to execute your technique. Stiff-arms nikyo applications and freezes their arm midair in a shomen uchi attack. Some say that this is a way of resisting and gives the nage a chance to test his technique and learn practical technique. However, this is not natural resistance, and is not even practical. Anyone who attacks another person, then stands there like a statue is going to either get poked in the eyeballs kneed in the groin or worse. The stiff uke usually doesn't react to atemi either, even when you stop white-knuckled at the tip of their nose.

3. The loose uke - This person also just stands there, but instead of being like a statue, they become completely relaxed. When you move their arm, their body and shoulder is disconnected making it extremely hard to do techniques like kaiten nage, or ikkyo. The loose uke expects you to be overly aggressive and TAKE their center. However, the problem with this is that now you are making the nage the attacker. Also, when doing techniques that simply shifts the uke's balance, the loose uke will simply move their feet to the place where they should fall, for example, just stepping to the "third leg" area. Again, the intention of the uke is good, to help you learn the technique in a practical way by not being an easy uke, but instead being difficult. A person who attacks and then relaxes and stands there gives no reason to do a technique.

4. The fighting uke - The biggest pain of all. This person always intentionally moves in the opposite direction that you intend to go, but the energy is there even before you move. So, you say OK, and decide to work with him and do some type of oyo henka move, and it works. The problem is that what you did wasn't what the sensei wanted you to practice,

3. The teacher uke - no matter how long this person has been practicing, his way is superior to yours. Often stops nage's techniques to make corrections. The intention is good, but the uke's limited understanding can hinder nage's learning.

The interesting thing is that we never see this type of behavior demonstrated on sensei. But then, perhaps this is why we sometimes hear stories of X Sensei breaking someone's arm.

The effect that this type of uke has on learning is negative. When a technique isn't working, we should think "What am I doing wrong?", but "Why is this happening this way?" This is extremely important especially for beginners to learn correct form and movement. Often times, someone is doing a technique correctly, but is given false information by a difficult uke.

In our practice of the physical application of the techniques of Aikido, the skills of an uke are imperative to training.

-John Matsushima

My blog on Japanese culture
http://onecorneroftheplanetinjapan.blogspot.jp/
Old 05-06-2006, 02:22 AM   #2
rottunpunk
Dojo: koteikan aikido centre
United Kingdom
Re: In the dojo, 90% of Aikido is uke

i think that t works both ways.

uke has to be relaxed and respond to the technique. this way injuries are less likely, and it helps tori.

though if im uke, and the technique being done has no effect (e.g not being done correctly, or with any amount of force at all) i wont go. how else would tori know that they are not doing it correctly otherwise.

aikido is all about blending and working together in order to enabe the technique to be carried out.

in the past, ive found that if i have an unwilling or unresponsive uke, i get shouted at for not doing the technique correctly (either because it wont work at all or because i have to adapt it in order to make it work). the same went for thursday night when i was uke, and i wasnt falling right, it messed up my partners whole form, and i felt very bad for that.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:51 AM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

It is always a difficult problem, an ongoing problem. For example, in post #1, The #3 example comes before the #4 example, and reappears after the #4 example. Are there 5 examples? Or a quick rearrangement? What arises in many dojo is the same type of thing. In gassho
Old 05-06-2006, 05:08 AM   #4
John Matsushima

United_States

Quote:
Deborah Bell wrote:
though if I'm uke, and the technique being done has no effect (e.g not being done correctly, or with any amount of force at all) i wont go. how else would tori know that they are not doing it correctly otherwise.

The is a very good point, but it is the main reason that I think people behave poorly as uke's. It is their intention to show uke their failures, or weak points in their technique. I think we have to let go of that attachment. As a practitioner, how do we really know what is correct? From my experience, i have "corrected" people only to find out that later that it was a different way, or even advanced way to do the technique. Through my limited understanding of aikido, I put that limitation on uke and stopped him from progressing beyond my own level. That was wrong. It is not our place to judge and teach, that is Sensei's job. I believe it is Tori's job to pay attention and know if they are using too much power, are unbalanced, have openings, etc. Besides, who can do a technique perfectly every time? When you do a technique right, you can feel it.
Thank you for your input.

-John Matsushima

My blog on Japanese culture
http://onecorneroftheplanetinjapan.blogspot.jp/
Old 05-06-2006, 05:12 AM   #5
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

All the ways of incorrectly being uke should be highlighted to students from the begining of their training in aikido.
The first 4 examples given are easy to deal with, the errant uke can be shown the 'right' way to move as opposed to the 'wrong' way.
The last example given the 'teacher uke' is a much more complex beast. If someone is doing 'bad teacher uke' then this needs to be discouraged by the dojo sensei ( unless it's the sensei themselves doing it, then there is no easy answer ).As has been pointed out, this creates frustration and inhibits learning.
There is however 'good teacher uke' which requires good ukemi skills, and sensitivity to the level of the nage.
If I am teaching and I can't see an obvious problem with a students technique, I will make ukemi and the problem will become apparent because my following will reveal the issue that needs to be looked at.
Of course I could disregard the students grade and make it impossible to throw me, but no one would benefit.
The use of ukemi as teacher in aikido is imperative, the teaching of good ukemi skills are fundamental.

Personally it was when I started to focus on the 'art' of uke rather than learning to master techniques that aikido started to reveal itself to me.
just a few thoughts.

regards
Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:32 AM   #6
Mark Uttech

The 'teacher uke' is known as the 'shadow teacher'. Becoming a shadow teacher is part of the path.
It is a rather sad part of the path, because it has an addictive quality about it. That is the trouble with progress; you can't go home again.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:34 AM   #7
dps

I agree with John and Mark.

I would add that unless their sensei tells uke otherwise, uke is to attack nage at the speed they are practicing and practice falling or rolling.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:37 AM   #8
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
That is the trouble with progress; you can't go home again.
Agreed, perhaps the reason for progress is that you leave home because you don't want to be there any more?

regards
Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
The 'teacher uke' is known as the 'shadow teacher'. Becoming a shadow teacher is part of the path.
It is a rather sad part of the path, because it has an addictive quality about it. That is the trouble with progress; you can't go home again.
You mean an advanced student shouldn't tell a beginner how to do a technique correctly? Why do they work together then?
Old 05-07-2006, 02:48 AM   #10
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

I can not answer your question - I think this is situation dependent:

The proper way to be Uke depends on many factors, one of those is experience of each, another is the intention of the specific practice (the same situation and technique can be practiced with a variety of goals).

A good Uke is essential to learning good Aikido, but one should not mistake the meaning of this statement and put the responsibility of performing a good technique on Uke. Uke is responsible for giving an opportunity and proper feedback for training only. Tori is responsible to perform the technique to perfection, and as the level advances, should be able to perform some technique in an situation. Note, the latter does not fit practicing Kata (technique practice in pre decided situation), in which Tori may succeed in performing some technique, but not the desirable technique intended for practice.

Amir

P.S.

I loved the cataloging of "Bad Uke" behaviors.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:59 AM   #11
Hanna B
Sweden

If uke does nothing, there can be no aikido so in a way it all depends on uke.

Now we are waiting for the poll of next week. Will it be "How much of aikido training in the dojo depends on tori?"
Old 05-07-2006, 06:27 AM   #12
Mark Uttech

An advanced student helps a beginning student by taking ukemi.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:54 AM   #13
nathansnow

Dojo: Ryokukai
United_States

I think the hardest thing about being uke is that you have to empty your mind of what you know is coming. If I know what is coming, I will tend to make sub-conscious adjustments to where nage will be. You have to focus on your job. "Punch nage in the face".... this has to be your only thought. It can be done at full speed or half speed as long as it is done with intent.
Good Randori is a very good example good ukes. If uke is anticipating during randori it tends to look very choppy and uke will more than likely end up with some type of injury either fighting back against a technique or jumping one way while nage is trying to go the other way.

Nathan Snow
Michigan
Old 05-07-2006, 08:13 PM   #14
NagaBaba

I voted: uke is never wrong.

Sorry Amir, I didn't have time to respond your question in other topic, but here we can talk about it.
Of course in the beginning, uke's help is necessary to learn the techniques. But this situation can't be set up for all your life.
Ultimate goal is to develop your skills at the level, where uke help is not necessary anymore. In other words, your technique doesn't depend of uke will.

One must state this goal for himself as soon as he knows general form of a technique and even if he still needs help of uke. This way, instead of loosing his limited training time correcting "bad uke" he will use it to develop his own skills.

Also even if you give 1 % of responsibility of technique for uke, you create situation, where tori have room to endlessly discuss behavior of uke. Again, attention is given to uke instead of polishing his own skills. This 1% of freedom, will create 10 000 different interpretation and tori will never develop correct feeling "what is right and what is wrong". This special feeling is a base to make right decision in the moment of contact to develop spontaneous response.

There are many other negatives consequences, among them, even after many years of practice, a student will be always searching fault in uke behavior and will try to correct him, give him ‘friendly advices' which at black belt level will create a lot of tensions and bad feelings. We don't have a luxury of competition to clearly establish who has a reason. So instead of that, we need a very sever rule, that prevent development of unclear situations. Without such rule, we will face more and more divisions in aikido world instead of Harmony.

In the other hand, aikido is supposed to develop spiritual part of human life. Such practice is always directed to ‘inside' and our rule uke is never wrong will direct all efforts exactly in this direction. Everybody has a lot of work on his own body and mind and we need concentrate all energy to do it. If one can't shift responsibility on somebody else, it will create positive environment to work on himself.

I hope it is more clear now.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 05-08-2006, 02:40 AM   #15
Leon Aman

Philippines

Quote:
Hanna Björk wrote:
If uke does nothing, there can be no aikido so in a way it all depends on uke.

Hmmm...isn't that a tori must control his/her uke and not an uke control a tori?

leon
Old 05-08-2006, 02:46 AM   #16
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Leon Aman wrote:
Hmmm...isn't that a tori must control his/her uke and not an uke control a tori?

leon
What Hanna means is that if uke doesn't attack, or grab tori's wrist, or advance, or anything like that, there's nothing for tori to do. You can irimi-nage air, but I don't know if you can really call it aikido.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 05-08-2006, 03:28 AM   #17
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands

I have to agree with Nagababa, uke is never wrong, at least not for tori, but maybe for their own training. For tori, however, everything is good, since we are seeking a flexible, natural response to what we meet, and not the ideal reproduction of the perfect technique. All the possible "faults" in uke's behaviour teach us something, if we are willing to learn. If we have already decided what we wish to learn before meeting the moment how can we respond.Delivering atemi to a resistant uke is easy, finding a way to turn their resistance into compliance with your technique is hard. If your uke is "too" flexible then reduce their options. If they are attempting to teach you, incorporate their advice, execute the technique and thank them. They may not have helped you technically but they have provided you with the opportunity to get to grips with your ego. I agree that Aikido is and must be a joint training, but ultimately whatever happens right now is what has to be dealt with, including the irritation of a "non-attack".

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:26 AM   #18
John (King John)

Dojo: Prince Bishops Durham/ White Rose
England

Quote:
Alec Corper wrote:
I have to agree with Nagababa, uke is never wrong, at least not for tori, but maybe for their own training. For tori, however, everything is good, since we are seeking a flexible, natural response to what we meet, and not the ideal reproduction of the perfect technique. All the possible "faults" in uke's behaviour teach us something, if we are willing to learn. If we have already decided what we wish to learn before meeting the moment how can we respond.Delivering atemi to a resistant uke is easy, finding a way to turn their resistance into compliance with your technique is hard. If your uke is "too" flexible then reduce their options. If they are attempting to teach you, incorporate their advice, execute the technique and thank them. They may not have helped you technically but they have provided you with the opportunity to get to grips with your ego. I agree that Aikido is and must be a joint training, but ultimately whatever happens right now is what has to be dealt with, including the irritation of a "non-attack".
I think this sums it up nicely for me.

Grab my arm.....The other arm.....MY other arm
Old 05-08-2006, 05:31 AM   #19
Hanna B
Sweden

If we make an average of the current results of the poll, then 60% of aikido is uke. If we make a similar poll "how much of the aikido training is tori" I am sure the average would be at least 60%. Thus, aikido is at least 120%.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #20
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
A good Uke is essential to learning good Aikido, but one should not mistake the meaning of this statement and put the responsibility of performing a good technique on Uke
as Amirs answer is so succinct, all I can do is quote and agree
Old 05-08-2006, 07:53 AM   #21
SeiserL

United_States

I am 100% selfish in my training.

When I am uke, it's 100% about me. It's harder to be a good uke than to learn waza.

When I am tori/nage, it's 100% about me. I should be able to handle whatever comes my way.

See, told you I was selfish.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:38 AM   #22
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

Don't worry Lynn, we forgive you

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 05-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #23
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Szczepan Janczuk

The strange thing is, I read your post, and fully agree with the ideas behind it. But then I think about it in terms of an organized practice or learning process. And there I have the problem.

We have full agreement on the final goal - one should strive to be able to apply some technique in any attack situation, regardless of his attacker behavior, be he resistant, responsive or just unskilled and awkward. Anyone who does not strive for this goal is no longer practices Aikido as a Martial Art and should not claim any self defense improvement.
I also agree that Tori should always look at himself for the reasons a technique is not working. The concept of laying blame is wrong for one's Aikido, one should always look at ways to improve his own performance first.

Our disagreement is in the role of Uke for an organized practice. As I previously wrote, much of Aikido practice is a paired Kata. The more I advance, the more I understand that such a Kata requires cooperation form both partners. I will try to demonstrate this by giving a few examples, in addition to the cataloging done above:
As I wrote, the first part of being a good Uke is giving you the prescribed attack, not trying to hit near you to the left' right or front (I lost count of the number of times I had to stand in place and wait for a beginner Uke to attack me again and again until they were finally willing to try and hit me).
Another example I previously gave is a person who when acting as Uke attacks you differently then the exercise dictates (My Sensei had multiple experience with such cases when he was teaching at Uni).
Then there are the more subtle cases where only the directions of forces are changed: one is asked to grab and push and he grabs the same grab but pulls instead. One is asked to attack then pull back his hand (preparing a second hit), but he just punches and forgets his hand in front.

All of the above cases are examples where Uke did not follow the Kata, and has actually changed the situation. If are in a fight, sure, you should adjust to this change, modify your technique and act differently. But if you are in a lesson or practice, and wish to repeat the same situation a few dozen times to improve your reaction with a specific technique, such behavior would be destructive for you.

The second role of Uke is to give Tori feedback on his technique. The feedback does not have to be verbal (unless Tori requires it for him to understand). Many mistake this role as well
The most problematic for me today in this regard is an Uke who falls without a reason. I had some practices in which I felt my belt had thrown more people then me. Uke fell even when my technique had been very poor, and I had stopped it in mid air. How would you call this type of Uke?
There are multiple more behaviors of this type, but they were categorized above very nicely, so I would not repeat them.

Uke exists when practicing Kata. When one wishes to practice a varying situation like a fight simulation, he should practice it in the proper form -- Kyoshu or Randori. This is the right format for this very important type of practice. Even if for some reason, your practice does not include this type of training, you should find a route to increase the flexibility within the Kata (do this or that type of concept, etc.).

Amir

I recommend for reading on this subject:
http://www.freewebz.com/aikido/lecture/unit5.htm
and the following 2 articles.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #24
NagaBaba

I think the difference in our approach comes from different understanding of aikido practice as ‘Kata'. I can't say how you guys practice it, but in my dojo, what we are doing, only looks like kata because of a fact having prearranged attack and prearranged technique. In reality, however, there is so much room ‘inside' of attack and a technique, that one can't really call it Kata.

Event at very first level of learning, I've never seen in any aikido style such rigor to execute a technique as I saw in Koryu training or in Judo kata.
Once one arrives at 3-2 kyu level, all resemblance to kata training is completely gone. And at 2-3 dan level, only global shape of attack / technique is preserved, but I'd call it rather application of technique.

IMO it is in accordance with O sensei teaching, he said that he broken with traditional Koryu spirit and approach to practice Budo in kata form.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 05-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #25
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

There are different levels of ukemi and it can be practiced for different purposes.

Unlike Lynn, I am not always 100% selfish, although that type of training has it's place.

Unlike Szczepan, I don't believe that uke is never wrong, although that type of training also has it's place (http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/thegr.../2005_10.html).

Teacher uke's are great, and it is my responsibility to be that for many of my partners, particularly when they're lost or confused.

What's really missing is a discussion of how much time each a person should spend in the different types of ukemi (for personally developing technique, for teaching your partner, for challenging your partner, etc.) to develop one's own training and one's partner's training in the most efficient way possible.

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."