Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
"Indecisioner"
IP Hash: bf589de2
Anonymous User
Freaky! Affiliation conundrum

Situation: Practiced at and helped start dojo A, which belongs to organization A, for close to 10 years. Left dojo after a move and financial situation. Was off the mat for a couple years. Recently, found another dojo I really like. Dojo B, belonging to organization B. Dojo B is a slight detour on my commute home from work. Dojo A is an hour away.

My financial situation is better now, but my schedule is not class time friendly for either dojo's schedule. I have spoke with both sensei about splitting my time between the two as they both have one class a week that I can make.

I suspect I will put slightly more time in at dojo B do to schedule and commute. Dojo B visits affiliated dojo in the region frequently. Dojo A has a special place in my heart.

I'm torn about affiliation because I respect both sensei(s).
Old 04-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: Affiliation conundrum

I think you answered your own question there. As long as both senseis are happy for you to do this, train at dojo B on a regular basis, and visit dojo A when you can. Don't worry about affiliation. It's just an organisation.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

On the original topic... what do the sensei tell you/say about your splitting time? Are they in support of "more training is better training?"

I would be, I think.

Thoughts?

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
Situation: Practiced at and helped start dojo A, which belongs to organization A, for close to 10 years. Left dojo after a move and financial situation. Was off the mat for a couple years. Recently, found another dojo I really like. Dojo B, belonging to organization B. Dojo B is a slight detour on my commute home from work. Dojo A is an hour away.

My financial situation is better now, but my schedule is not class time friendly for either dojo's schedule. I have spoke with both sensei about splitting my time between the two as they both have one class a week that I can make.

I suspect I will put slightly more time in at dojo B do to schedule and commute. Dojo B visits affiliated dojo in the region frequently. Dojo A has a special place in my heart.

I'm torn about affiliation because I respect both sensei(s).
I actually have the exact same situation. I was one of the first students at my Dojo A, love the entire organization, and I'm actually picking grad schools specifically around areas with dojos in organization A. I moved an hour and a half way from Dojo A for my school, but traveling an hour and a half twice a week just puts too much strain on my finances. I found Dojo B that is 15 minutes away from my home, and I really like the Sensei as well. Both Sensei (Senseis? That looks weird, what's the correct plural here?) are aware of my time splitting and both are fine with it. I will continue ranking with Dojo A, and still enjoy practice with Dojo B. The only real decision I see is to decide which organization you are going to rank with, and to make sure that the other Sensei is ok with the rankings you receive. I chose to keep ranking with A specifically because I will be staying in the organization throughout my moves around the country. This made it an easier decision for me since I know I will be moving around this time next year. You sound like you are in a more permanent position, so that decision might be harder for you. What are the pros and cons of rank within A and B for you?

--Ashley
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
"Indecisioner"
IP Hash: d9816da7
Anonymous User

Quote:
John Powell wrote: View Post
On the original topic... what do the sensei tell you/say about your splitting time? Are they in support of "more training is better training?"

I would be, I think.

Thoughts?
The splitting time is going to be okay, as far as, them supporting "more training is better".

Someone mentioned above not having affiliation. That won't work in this situation. I will need to officially join one or the other as a full member.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
"Indecisioner"
IP Hash: 514be6d1
Anonymous User

Quote:
Ashley Hemsath wrote: View Post
Both Sensei (Senseis? That looks weird, what's the correct plural here?) are aware of my time splitting and both are fine with it...

What are the pros and cons of rank within A and B for you?

--Ashley
Ashley, I agree. Sensei, or sensei's? What is the plural? Totally confusing to me.

As to pros and cons, I'm happy to promote under either affiliation. Both organizations are still headed by 2 of O Sensei's uchdeshi. I don't honestly have strong attachments to who my grading comes from because both organizations' dan certificates are recognized by Hombu Dojo, and both of the sensei I would be training under I feel provide excellent instruction and quality.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
robin_jet_alt
Australia

I would affiliate under the organization you would be training under most regularly (would that be 'B'?). The organization is just for convenience. It's your relationship with each of the senseis that matters most.

P.S. the plural of sensei in Japanese is "sensei-tachi", but that doesn't really work in English.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:25 AM   #8
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ashley, I agree. Sensei, or sensei's? What is the plural? Totally confusing to me.
Aagh! Plurals in English DON'T HAVE AN APOSTROPHE!

I have always used "senseis".

Alex
Old 04-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #9
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

No s's in Japanese plurals.

No senseis, or sushis, or ......

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
PhilMyKi
Dojo: Seibukan, Milton Keynes
United Kingdom

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
No s's in Japanese plurals.

No senseis, or sushis, or ......
Beat me to it ...
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
"Indecisioner"
IP Hash: 9fa8df96
Anonymous User

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
Aagh! Plurals in English DON'T HAVE AN APOSTROPHE!

I have always used "senseis".

Alex
That would be my smart phone "helping" me... The screen and cursor don't always track correctly. While I'm trying to fix one thing it's putting the correction two lines above. Missed the apostrophe while trying to correct two other things.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
"Indecisioner"
IP Hash: 627bfec1
Anonymous User

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
I would affiliate under the organization you would be training under most regularly (would that be 'B'?). The organization is just for convenience. It's your relationship with each of the senseis that matters most.

P.S. the plural of sensei in Japanese is "sensei-tachi", but that doesn't really work in English.
Thank you for the response. Practicality dictates going this route. I'm concerned with damaging my relationship with one of the instructors no matter which way I decide.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States

Quote:
Thank you for the response. Practicality dictates going this route. I'm concerned with damaging my relationship with one of the instructors no matter which way I decide.
I can see that being a concern, but why don't you go to the one you won't be ranking with and simply say, "Since I am going to two organizations at this point, I was wondering what your feelings are on my choosing to rank with Sensei B. Since I need to make a decision, and they are much closer to me, it seems more practical to rank with them. Are you ok with that?"

I find most of these guys are pretty understanding, and if you lay out your reasoning for what you are doing, they will be ok with it. The key to avoiding hurt feelings is explaining what you are doing clearly, and your logic behind your decision, and finally asking them what they think.

--Ashley
Old 04-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
"Indecisioner"
IP Hash: 13e1c346
Anonymous User

Quote:
Ashley Hemsath wrote: View Post
I can see that being a concern, but why don't you go to the one you won't be ranking with and simply say, "Since I am going to two organizations at this point, I was wondering what your feelings are on my choosing to rank with Sensei B. Since I need to make a decision, and they are much closer to me, it seems more practical to rank with them. Are you ok with that?"

I find most of these guys are pretty understanding, and if you lay out your reasoning for what you are doing, they will be ok with it. The key to avoiding hurt feelings is explaining what you are doing clearly, and your logic behind your decision, and finally asking them what they think.

--Ashley
Ashley, you are probably correct. I'm just having a silly, spastic, overly worried attack of indecision.

I'm appreciating the outside perspectives.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
Mark Mueller

So are you more concerned with a political affiliation.....or learning Aikido?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #16
"Indecisioner"
IP Hash: 62b0b5ce
Anonymous User

Quote:
Mark Mueller wrote: View Post
So are you more concerned with a political affiliation.....or learning AIkido?
Mark, I'm concerned with the relationship, respect, and friendship I share with my two instructors. I think perhaps you didn't read the thread completely.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #17
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

Quote:
Mark, I'm concerned with the relationship, respect, and friendship I share with my two instructors. I think perhaps you didn't read the thread completely.
If you share relationship, respect and friendship.. then they will understand.

I understand your situation - but choose what is right for your aikido development. If you are true to your actions any good instructor should eventually understand and support you.

I have a senior student who is likely to go to a different city within the next year or so. I would love to keep him here, but I wouldn't expect him to commute since they have great dojo's in both the relevant cities. And he should definately go on practicing with them. I'll miss him, but look forward to see him at seminars. Is this any help?

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
Mark Mueller

I did read the thread thoroughly and you just answered your own question.