Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-18-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States
Eek! Too Old for Breakfalls?

Is there any rule of thumb out there that you guys use to advise your students (as well as yourselves) when you might want to stop doing breakfalls?
I just passed my Nikyu test and doing Koshinages was really scarey but I pressed on and sensei thinks I have progressed well, but it got me to thinking about what age I might want to stop having hip throws done on me and stop doing breakfalls.

Doc Randy

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 07-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Too Old for Breakfalls?

I don't do as many as I used to.
But still doing them.
IMHO, its more about skill and health, not age.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
its more about skill and health, not age.
...and what sort of floor you're falling on.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
But still doing them.
I used to teach a morning class with Don Shimazu, a WWII 442nd Infantry vet. He'd teach when he was there, I'd teach when he wasn't. His usual pattern was to demonstrate by performing a technique four times and then having the uke perform the technique four times while he took ukemi.

One day I was taking ukemi for him when he demonstrated koshi-nage. He threw four times and then said it was my turn - he told me "you've got to throw me hard, not like a sack of potatoes!". So I did, although I had my misgivings, and he took the breakfall four times.

He was 83.

Best,

Chris

Old 07-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Randy Sexton wrote: View Post
Is there any rule of thumb out there that you guys use to advise your students (as well as yourselves) when you might want to stop doing breakfalls?
I just passed my Nikyu test and doing Koshinages was really scarey but I pressed on and sensei thinks I have progressed well, but it got me to thinking about what age I might want to stop having hip throws done on me and stop doing breakfalls.

Doc Randy
When I visited Cincinnati a few years ago, one of my training partners was an elderly gentleman who not onoy wouldn't take ukemi but stood instead of sitting in seiza -- I guess he had issues that prevented him from doing those thing. We still managed to practice; we just went to position (ie didn't fall) and that was no problem.

So it depends on the individual, but there are ways of working around it.

"I am not a big fat panda. I am the big fat panda." --Po, Kung Fu Panda
Old 07-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
CNYMike
United_States
Freaky! Re: Too Old for Breakfalls?

Quote:
But still doing them.
My Aikido sensei is about your age, Lynn. Every time he demonstrates a techinuqe, he does it as nage, and then takes umeki for the other person, regardless of whether he as a point about the ukemi. This gets pretty dynamic if he's rolling out of a shomenuchi attack -- he gets thrown, springs up, and goes at his nage again.

He's your age.

This is one of the things I think of whenever I or my Kali instructor whine about being in our 40's (and, of course, any recent Dan Inosanto seminar, too, but I digress.).

Old 07-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Janet Rosen

Every body really is different.
I like to do some regularly to make sure the body memory is still there for if I"m thrown into one without having a choice in the matter.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #8
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote: View Post
This is one of the things I think of whenever I or my Kali instructor whine about being in our 40's (and, of course, any recent Dan Inosanto seminar, too, but I digress.).
Inosanto is always a progression,never a digression.
Brillant man at any age.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom

I think this answers the question too!

http://www.aikiweb.com/gallery/showp...to=176&cat=503

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
SmilingNage
United_States

I can recall Sugano Sensei making the remark not to take highfalls after 40 but it was said half in jest and half in practicality. So I take it as highfalls as necessity dictates.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
RED
United_States

I'm not old, but I have back issues and want to extend my years of hard training. I'll respect an atemi, and if you trash me I'll respect it and break fall. But I'm not going to take a high/hard break fall to make anyone look or feel good about themselves at this point. (unless I'm in a particular mood lol)
If it is needed, I'll do whatever it takes to save my skeletal structure, but I am not a fan of throwing yourself just because it looks cool. I believe there are better methods of escape than slamming your body to the ground about 70% of the time. In my youth I want to take the time to learn better ways to take ukemi and escape dangerous or hard technique.

A rule of thumb one of my instructors passed on to me: "Every sound you make on the mat during ukemi is the sound of your soft tissue being injured." There are better methods of taking break falls than slamming your body on the mat. Maybe sometimes you have to take the slam, but most the time you don't. There are different methods of breaking. And I think it is worth investing time into learning softer break fall techniques

I want to preserve my soft tissue for when I'm old and need it. lol

There's an older black belt in my school that says he takes one break fall a year. lol I hope when I'm his age I'll still have the ability to take break falls when needed as needed.

Last edited by RED : 07-19-2010 at 12:36 PM.

MM
Old 07-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
C. David Henderson
United_States

The only way I could begin to do a soft(er) breakfall was to do a lot of them, and I wasn't the fastest learner. It was quite jarring for a long time. Over time, I found the word "breakfall' no longer was synonymous to me with "hard fall," and often seems relatively effortless.

When I hear the word "escape," it sounds like something we're taught not to do. Not only does it distort the dynamic between uke and nage, tyring to escape can itself lead to injury, as it often seems to go hand-in-hand with hesitation, or withdrawing or withholding one's center.

Particularly when a throw happens hard and fast, I want my body to react without hesitation.

But, YMMV. As Janet pointed out, "Every body is different."

Regards

David Henderson
Old 07-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
RED
United_States

Quote:
Charles David Henderson wrote: View Post
The only way I could begin to do a soft(er) breakfall was to do a lot of them, and I wasn't the fastest learner. It was quite jarring for a long time. Over time, I found the word "breakfall' no longer was synonymous to me with "hard fall," and often seems relatively effortless.

When I hear the word "escape," it sounds like something we're taught not to do. Not only does it distort the dynamic between uke and nage, tyring to escape can itself lead to injury, as it often seems to go hand-in-hand with hesitation, or withdrawing or withholding one's center.

Particularly when a throw happens hard and fast, I want my body to react without hesitation.

But, YMMV. As Janet pointed out, "Every body is different."

Regards
I didn't mean escape technique, I meant escape injury.

For me this is how I learned ever ukemi technique I know:

I work on soft break falls from my knees everyday (I sometimes take wide low break falls from kokyu-dosa to help with working on connection along with the break fall movement.) For me it has always been easier to work on the motions repetitively. When I practice from my knees I can take the "break fall" on any surface because it is so low. I can focus on the movement and not worry about falling hard. Once I have the movements down to muscle memory it doesn't matter if I'm kneeling or standing, my body follows those instinctive motions.
This is the only way I can really learn ukemi... Ukemi freaked me out the first time I saw it. I never thought I'd be able to roll never mind any other techniques I've been practicing and working towards.

MM
Old 07-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
C. David Henderson
United_States

Well, first, I think its great that you've found a way to approach learning breakfalls that works for you. That's probably the most important thing.

Second, trying not to get hung up on words, the idea of "escape" still gives me pause. Of course, learning how to fall safetly allows one to "escape" or avoid injury during training.

If during practice I take ukemi with the intention of escaping injury, however, I'm pretty sure this will show itself in part as escaping the technique. That is, at some point, I'm going to be "bailing," not remaining connected much less being prepared to renew an attack.

Now, if that's the way I can avoid being injured, so be it; my partner and I will get another opportunity to do the technique.

Still, for me, I'd be concerned if that's the way I thought about taking ukemi, as opposed to learning the part of ukemi that involves falling.

Best of luck with your continued training, and I hope you succeed in keeping your back healthy.

David Henderson
Old 07-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
RED
United_States

Quote:
Charles David Henderson wrote: View Post
Well, first, I think its great that you've found a way to approach learning breakfalls that works for you. That's probably the most important thing.

Second, trying not to get hung up on words, the idea of "escape" still gives me pause. Of course, learning how to fall safetly allows one to "escape" or avoid injury during training.

If during practice I take ukemi with the intention of escaping injury, however, I'm pretty sure this will show itself in part as escaping the technique. That is, at some point, I'm going to be "bailing," not remaining connected much less being prepared to renew an attack.

Now, if that's the way I can avoid being injured, so be it; my partner and I will get another opportunity to do the technique.

Still, for me, I'd be concerned if that's the way I thought about taking ukemi, as opposed to learning the part of ukemi that involves falling.

Best of luck with your continued training, and I hope you succeed in keeping your back healthy.
My opinion of ukemi is that it is the other side of the coin to nage. Aikidoka are both uke and nage. What ever you lack in your ukemi you lack in your nage. I like to look at my ukemi, analyze and see what I'm lacking. I can make any better that if my uke is lacking connection, so is my nage. If in my ukemi I take big steps and am fluid, I can bet my nage technique is also done with large steps and fluidity.
I don't view ukemi as a means of escaping nage. I can use it to escape serious injury from the hands of a careless nage.(In my humble opinion, if you cause critical harm to your uke you are doing something incorrect.)
I don't understand when people don't like taking ukemi(unless they are injured or have other real issues), I don't believe you can be a well rounded Aikidoka without ukemi. I think it is a misconception that Aikido is "only" what nage does. Aikido is also the way uke reacts in my opinion. Because in my opinion, ukei is a reflection of nage. They are working on the same martial principles, just opposite sides of the coin.

Now do I enjoy taking ukemi? It's usually really fun. Other times(especially when I started Aikido) it is chore, its hard and I hate it. When I first started I'd take ukemi in a way like I was waiting for my turn at nage. I have a seriously different view of it now. I'm working on my Aikido, whether uke or nage. I'm working on the same Aikido which ever role I'm in, and I'm practicing and training in those Aiki principles.

My back is the bane of my existence since I had a fall at work. LOL

Last edited by RED : 07-19-2010 at 02:48 PM.

MM
Old 07-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Dan Rubin wrote: View Post
...and what sort of floor you're falling on.
Or what art and how seriously you're training. Let's not kid ourselves... supposedly martial arts are about truth, not BS'ing ourselves.

FWIW

Mike Sigman
Old 07-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
I used to teach a morning class with Don Shimazu, a WWII 442nd Infantry vet.

One day I was taking ukemi for him when he demonstrated koshi-nage. He threw four times and then said it was my turn - he told me "you've got to throw me hard, not like a sack of potatoes!". So I did, although I had my misgivings, and he took the breakfall four times.

He was 83.
Go four broke(falls)!

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 07-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #18
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Inosanto is always a progression,never a digression.
Brillant man at any age.
Absoluttely, but still slightly off topic for Aikiweb. If I erred, it was on the side of policing myself.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #19
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States

I really appreciate the discussion and advice. As Maggie said, I too have learned to view Ukemi differently, over the past year especially. Ukemi is half of learning Aikido!
We all want to train with joy and safety as long as we physically can. When I am very, very old I will sit in my wheelchair and practice harmony and love watching the sun rise and the squirrels practice their "Squirrel Aikido" and I will practice with them yelling out "Extend, Extend! LOL
Thanks!
Doc Randy

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #20
Basia Halliop
Canada

I think I recall being told when I first started learning breakfalls that the ideal was to learn them well when you were young, so that by the time you were older you were doing them well enough that you could fall softly. So far this has fit with my experience and my observations of other people... the process of learning to fall can be tough on you physically, but the better you get at them the less that's the case.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #21
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Rather than look at it as a question of age, look at it as a question of flexibility, health and whether or not you are carrying any injuries.

This can make it a 'yes' one day and a 'no' another

I don't do breakfalls anymore following a car accident which damaged my lower back. And I'm in my late 30s. Koshinage is also out of the question as I cannot load up the damaged part.

All I would say regarding age is that the most important thing to preserve is your flexibility, as that will enable you to carry out your daily life much more easily than if you allow yourself to become stiff and immobile.

Ruth
Old 07-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #22
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Ruth Rae wrote: View Post
Rather than look at it as a question of age, look at it as a question of flexibility, health and whether or not you are carrying any injuries.

This can make it a 'yes' one day and a 'no' another
Yup...and the existence of a 70-year-old who still does breakfalls doesn't make it "safe" for a 70-year-old person to do breakfalls.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #23
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

Obviously, in something like this, there can be no hard-and-fast rules. I just finished reading The Gift of Danger, an aikido book by an 80-year-old who still takes her falls. On the other hand, my two oldest instructors (73 and somewhere in her fifties, respectively) have stopped taking ukemi almost altogether. It depends on the health of the person.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #24
TreyPrice

Dojo: Capitol City Aikido Club
United_States

I told a co-worker the other day that the differences of me at 15, 25 and 45 are that at 15 I could run in the morning, go to school, football practice and them MA at night day after day, at 25 years of age I would occasionally take aspirin the next day - at 45 I take aspirin and alieve before I train, and some days after.

Listen to your body - it will tell you.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #25
DanTesic
Australia

Quote:
William Oakes wrote: View Post
I can recall Sugano Sensei making the remark not to take highfalls after 40 but it was said half in jest and half in practicality. So I take it as highfalls as necessity dictates.
Huh, I didn't know about that - just did some high ukemis 2 days ago (I had to, the sensei was throwing me around for a demonstration). I'm 48. I survived, but am as sore as always. It's not that bad... although the mats in our dojo are made of titanium, I believe.

Last edited by DanTesic : 09-25-2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: spelling

"Don't fight. Use . Don't resist. Take ukemi."