Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-20-2003, 09:52 AM   #1
Michael Neal
Fake real life stories?

Quote:
A friend of mine and a female practice partner--both in karate were walking through Coit Park one night after a seminar. A guy jumps out with a knife demanding their money. The two friends fall over laughing their guts out since they had just spent the entire day practicing anti-knife defenses. The idiot attacker wasn't intelligent enough at that point to get out of there but just stood there continuing to demand their money. My friends collected themselves and discussed who got to practice. My friend decided to be gentlemanly and let the female have the mugger.
This is one of several stories that are published on www.aikidofaq.com that I have problems believing.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
Michael Neal
Just to be clear I am not criticising the Aikido FAQ website, I am just questioning some of the authors of those stories.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:11 AM   #3
Kensai
So, let me get this strait, someone challenges you with a knife, for REAL and you laugh on the floor.

I would image thats a sure fire way to get killed.

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 05-20-2003, 01:04 PM   #4
paw
Well....

This one time at band camp....

Regards,

Paul
Old 05-20-2003, 01:57 PM   #5
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Talking

Yeah, Paul, we all know what went on at band camp....

Ron (former nerdy band member) Tisdale

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-20-2003, 02:11 PM   #6
Eric Joyce
Dojo: Budoshingikan
United_States
The last thing I would be doing is laughing, especially when there is a knife in my face. Talk about arrogance.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:38 PM   #7
Daniel Blanco
Dojo: Suffolk Aikikai
i would have not laughed, but instead dealt with the attack using my training as a surprise to imobilize/stop the threat fast.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:43 PM   #8
Daniel Blanco
Dojo: Suffolk Aikikai
Also never be to sure of yourself and take every chance you get to come out ahead/safe. This is right from a NYC Police Officer.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:23 PM   #9
shihonage
United_States
The original story fails to mention that before gentlemanly letting the female have the mugger, he shot him in the head.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:03 PM   #10
Veers

Dojo: Shinkikan Aikikai Aikido of Corpus Christi
Hmm, I don't have a problem believeing the unexagerated version...something like this...

A guy jumps out with a knife demanding their money. The two friends, at first surprised, see ironic humor in the situation. Due to lack of response from his two victims, the mugger again demands money. "You take him," the man says, pushing his female friend forward. The rest is (manipulated) history.

But I wasn't there, soooo...

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:27 PM   #11
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
Quote:
A friend of mine and a female practice partner--both in karate were walking through Coit Park one night after a seminar. A guy jumps out with a knife demanding their money. The two friends fall over laughing their guts out since they had just spent the entire day practicing anti-knife defenses. The idiot attacker wasn't intelligent enough at that point to get out of there but just stood there continuing to demand their money. My friends collected themselves and discussed who got to practice. My friend decided to be gentlemanly and let the female have the mugger.
To me it's like one of those Cynthia Rothrocks' movies.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:58 AM   #12
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
I must say that I also find a lot of the stories about real life experiences a bit to movie-like, especialy when comparing them with my own. They are just to glamorous.

I recall from my first real selfdefence situation (from which I got out unharmed thanx to Aikido) that I crapped my pants from fear, that I was so high on adrenaline that I couldnt think straight for the rest of the week and that I had nightmares about it for at least half a year.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 05-21-2003, 02:27 AM   #13
darin
As Jack Palance says "Believe it or not..."
Old 05-21-2003, 03:00 AM   #14
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
...Particularly where knives are concerned. I see a lot of this on various MA; stories that say in essence "He pulled a knife on me; I laughed." etc. etc.

I can guarantee; no-one who has ever been in a knife situation has laughed about it - and lived. A knife in the hands of an assailant is a terrifying thing; even the best fighters - be they martial artists, cops, soldiers, whatever - are afraid of knives and rightly so; even in the hands of a rank ameteur; they can kill with one small move.

Those of us who have faced them - and my own engagement was a very minor threat at a checkpoint on peacekeeping duty - do not forget how it feels.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:27 AM   #15
jaxonbrown
How I used Aikido to defeat ninjas:

I was walking through central park and ten ninjas exploded out of the bushes off my right side. They were all screaming and yelling and punching the air in their black ninja suits. As they all came running toward me swinging swords and throwing ninja stars, I raised my arms in shomenuchi ikkyo undo and did two tenkans and they all dropped dead. Teh end.

p.s. Oh, did I forget to mention I had an Uzi in each hand?

Iiiiiit's true!

But anyway, I find some of those stories I read quite far-fetched. Maybe some are real and some are just too real. I take them all with a grain of salt unless there's a vid with it.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:25 AM   #16
BC
Quote:
paul watt (paw) wrote:
Well....

This one time at band camp....

Regards,

Paul
And this one time, at Summer Camp...

Robert Cronin
Old 05-21-2003, 02:49 PM   #17
Peter Klein
Dojo: Aikido Kreis Koeln (Germany)
i once did tenchi nage on my dog and saw how much potential there is in this technique.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:05 AM   #18
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
A lot depends on who the mugger was and how he was holding the knife. I can certainly imagine situations where someone was holding one knife against two people, and simply didn't seem credible enough to be too much of a threat.

I usually don't spend a lot of time either believing or disbelieving stories I hear about Aikido or about O'Sensei. The important question to me seems to be what I plan to do with the story and how it can be useful to me.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 05-22-2003, 10:15 AM   #19
Michael Neal
There is nothing about that story that I can find useful