Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-12-2003, 10:41 PM   #26
Grappler
I spar with people from different styles all the time. Kickboxers, judokas, wrestlers, aikidokas. There is only one way to become a good fighter, and thats long hours on the mat fighting, against the widest variety of opponents you can get...
Old 05-13-2003, 04:58 AM   #27
justinm
United Kingdom
As so many people would be interested to accept a challenge from another martial artist under friendly terms, why not seek them out and challenge others? Or do you?

Justin McCarthy
Old 05-14-2003, 08:22 AM   #28
Cyrijl
here where i am there are mostly TKD and karate schools, which as new i am to the game, i would probably roll over most of them.

The Muay Thai school i know of ir rather far away. I was thinking over the summer i might go for a month or so and learn some thai kicks...and the aikido school i went to doesn't seem like the place where such things are appreciated...but i'm working on it

melior est canis vivus leone mortuo
Bog svsami!!!
Old 05-16-2003, 12:26 AM   #29
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States
Yes- definitely. Have done it in the past as well. It's a great learning experience. If you can learn just one thing from the experience, than I'd say it was worthwhile.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:29 PM   #30
SmilingNage
United_States
I would challenge them to lick their elbows. If they could, I would walk away in defeat

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:24 PM   #31
gilgul1
Dojo: Aikido Center
challenges

I probably would not accept a challenge, as I understand the term to mean "show me what you got!" or "Prove the worth of your training!" or "my sensei can kick your sensei's butt!" While I have seen videos of O-Sensei and Tohei-Sensei accepting challenges, I would not be able to represent Aikido adequately.

But if someone asks me to come try out their dojo or try sparring with them for fun and profit, what the hell.

I've tried BJJ, Aikijujitsu, and Judo. At the BJJ dojo I had my ass handed to me, but I got a lot of respect from the guy that invited me, saying that it was a tradition in a BJJ dojo to give n00bs a beating. I didn't go back, despite repeated invitations--I can't afford to get injured. Aikijujitsu was nice, but at the particular dojo I went to the aiki part was mainly lip service--these guys were like stone statues sometimes, but they were very strong. Judo was ridiculous, the head instructor, a former U.S. Olympic Coach, simply sat on a student and laughed at her, despite the weight difference of 100+ pounds.

In each case, I found myself thinking, "it's not Aikido". I found myself longing for the esthetic of the Aikido Dojo, the lack of animosity and testosterone, the feeling that I've learned something besides throwing people, getting over the dualism of winning and losing, it's simply divine.

--Daniel
Old 05-16-2003, 09:28 PM   #32
NagaBaba

Wow!!! so many aikido fighters But I have a lot of difficulty to believe you dears aiki folks

Rather, I think it is easy to be virtual fighter...

In every sparring rules are most important. It can give serious advantage for one person or for other. You want to fight by judo rules? bjj rules? kick boxing rules? Heck, in aikido there are NO rules at all!

So how you imagine to preserve safety of sparring?

eh you dreamers....

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 05-16-2003, 09:51 PM   #33
jk
Yeah, talk is cheap...and if you're in a friendly sparring match, there will be rules. By your definition, if I get in a sparring match, I won't be doing aikido, since aikido has no rules. I say so what? What's wrong with me learning how many ways I can get my ass kicked under judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, or Tae Bo rules? What exactly is the issue here, as long as I'm having fun?

BTW, Szczepan, can I be your uchideshi?

Regards,
Old 05-16-2003, 11:28 PM   #34
shanman
Dojo: YMCA
Yeah I'de except a challenge I'de be afraid I would hurt the person though because if they come at me with uncontrolled speed it would be hard to controll my techniques. I'm still learning.

A friendly sparring match is educational.
Old 05-17-2003, 04:36 AM   #35
Grappler
Re: challenges

Quote:
Daniel Dexeus (gilgul1) wrote:
I've tried BJJ, Aikijujitsu, and Judo. At the BJJ dojo I had my ass handed to me, but I got a lot of respect from the guy that invited me, saying that it was a tradition in a BJJ dojo to give n00bs a beating.
Hehe, yes, it is a BJJ tradition. Especially if you mention you are an XYZ belt in ABC martial art... BJJers will take it as a matter of honour to prove superiority of their skills. The worst thing you could do is to actually wear your Aikido/TKD/whatever black belt to BJJ practice, thats a guaranteed beatdown
Quote:
Judo was ridiculous, the head instructor, a former U.S. Olympic Coach, simply sat on a student and laughed at her, despite the weight difference of 100+ pounds.
Thats not nice, but sooner or later you gotta learn the lesson that size and strength does matter... better to learn it early.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:31 AM   #36
Kevin Wilbanks
Re: challenges

Quote:
Daniel Dexeus (gilgul1) wrote:
Judo was ridiculous, the head instructor, a former U.S. Olympic Coach, simply sat on a student and laughed at her, despite the weight difference of 100+ pounds.
I also had a bad experience when trying out a Judo dojo. The chief instructor also had Olympic credentials. In my first class, an assistant instructor choked me repeatedly during what was supposed to be a positioning drill. Eventually, he whipped a gi choke on me from the front in such a way that he was pinning one lapel to the floor, rather than making a 'v' - with the blade of the fabric cutting straight across my trachea. By the time I tapped, the damage was already done. This despite the fact that I was wearing a white belt, and specifically commented that I knew nothing before we started. I coughed and hacked through the rest of class, and had trouble swallowing food for the next couple of days. It took a week before I could swallow without pain and well over a month before the pain went away completely. If I had tapped much later, I might have needed emergency medical treatment.

In my view, giving the new guy an initiatory beating is a stupid tradition - unless the guy is being snotty. To abuse someone completely unfamiliar with the dynamics of one's art isn't even sporting, much less in accord with even the loosest definition of budo. It only proves that the beginner is a beginner, which was not in question in the first place. Such behavior is simply an ego indulgence on the part of the perpetrator.

After talking to some other folks later, I gathered that Judo groups that are sport-oriented are quite a different animal from more traditional dojos - rarely much there in the way of "do". If you had bad luck at one of the former, like I did, maybe you will find more of what you're looking for at a more tradition/budo-oriented dojo. Unfortunately, in my area, there is no such place.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:33 PM   #37
Jesse Lee
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido, formerly named Seattle Aikikai
No such tradition at my BJJ dojo, I am happy to say. I agree with Kevin, that seems like a dumb-ass tradition to belittle already-open-minded beginners.

Then again, maybe it makes the point most effectively -- you better check your ego at the door, amigo, b/c you have a lot to learn.

, can't find m s
Old 05-20-2003, 12:57 PM   #38
Jesse Lee
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido, formerly named Seattle Aikikai
Actually I got a big psychological beatdown as a newbie @ New England Aikikai, years ago. A surly yudansha belittled and derided every one of my techniques, for the whole hour, and then he would "demo" the right way and smash me down pretty thoroughly. By the end of class I was pretty pissed. He just walked off with an attitude that said, "Whatever."

I thought about how to handle it, and the only solution I came up with was this -- I went over and thanked him for all the personal, individual attention he gave me during the whole class, and I tried to really mean it.

He instantly brightened right up, said he was stoked that I got a lot out of it, and even apologized for being such a grumpy bastard. A couple slaps on the back and we were buddies thenceforth.

Last edited by Jesse Lee : 05-20-2003 at 12:59 PM.

, can't find m s
Old 05-20-2003, 04:31 PM   #39
shihonage
United_States
I find friendly sparring sessions to be very useful for getting a feel of openings and outmaneuvering the partner through constant changes of rhythm and intent.

Also, these are a great eye-opener just how much TIGHTER, faster, and more adaptive your technique needs to be.

Not to mention that this is also an eye opener on my total lack of breathing control

I have not been able to execute any Aikido techniques on an active, non-cooperating sparring partner, except for straight-entry iriminage(once), a headlock, and a really forced kotegaeshi (once).

But, I have a feeling that eventually I will learn the nuances of making someone move where I want them through using their instinctive resistance to my advantage.

I feel that this kind of "wild" practice which is frowned upon by some Aikidoka is a necessary stepping stone to being able to understand how Aikido is meant to be utilized.

O Sensei may have stood on top of a stairwell, and we're all trying to get there by elevator.

But the moment someone knocks you one stair down, you have no other stairs to back you up, so you will fall all the way down - unless you have some grounding.

IMNSHO.

Last edited by shihonage : 05-20-2003 at 04:42 PM.