Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-18-2003, 11:39 AM   #1
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Ontario Canada, Aikido

Hello,

This message is to the Canadian aikidoka out there; are there any Aikikai dojos in the Burlington Ontario area? (a search of aikiweb dojo search turned up nothing)
I have a job offer in the area, and want to know what is out there, before I go any further with exploring it. Could folks write back about the dojos within a 50 kilometer area (I know about the Toronto dojos).

Thanks in advance,
Rachel
Old 05-18-2003, 12:00 PM   #2
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Hi Rachel; sorry, I don't know about Aikikai, but we have a ki-society Dojo in Kitchener.

It's outside your 50 Km. limit; but Hey! If you're ever in the neighborhood....

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:37 PM   #3
rachmass
Thanks Dave,

Appreciate the input. Actually, I'll probably start another dojo, just don't want to be stepping on anyones feet, so I want to know what is in the area. There are plenty of Aikikai dojo in the Toronto area, but I don't want to be commuting that far to train.

Are there any aikido dojos in Burlington at all?

best,

Rachel
Old 05-19-2003, 07:35 AM   #4
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
Rachel,

Your not leaving before I visit your dojo the second week in June are you?

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 05-19-2003, 07:41 AM   #5
rachmass
No, it is going to take quite awhile to figure out if I go to Canada or not, probably not until the fall at the very earliest (got to check into all the variables, aikido and work related, as well as family related). Do come and visit in June!

Rachel
Old 05-19-2003, 11:39 AM   #6
BC
Rachel:

Here is the link to the Canadian Aikido Federation in case you didn't have it:

http://www.link.ca/aikido-caf/

Robert Cronin
Old 05-19-2003, 11:42 AM   #7
rachmass
Hi Robert,

yes, I looked through that already and didn't see anyone in the Burlington area (Brampton, Toronto, Guelph, etc., but not Burlington-Oakville-Hamilton). Thanks for the link though. Hoping that some folks from that neck of the woods write in and tell me if there is anything in that area that just isn't showing up in the phone book (internet version), USAF, CAF, and OAF.

best,

Rachel
Old 05-19-2003, 12:12 PM   #8
DaveO
Canada
Rachel:

The closest Aikikai dojo I was able to find was the Brampton Aikikai. Brampton's pretty close to Burlington; just about 30 or so Km. north as the germ flies. The downside is getting there takes you up the QEW and onto the 401 through the area of the GTA's highways known as the Battlezone. From the name; you can imagine what the traffic's like. ;-)

Anyhoo; here's the address:

Brampton Aikikai
Terry Miller Recreation Centre
1295 Williams Parkway
Brampton, Ontario, Canada L6S 3J8
905-793-7383
Instructor: Richard McNeillie

Here's the URL to the page with the info:
http://www.usaikifed.com/dir-east.html

Hope this helps!

Dave

Last edited by DaveO : 05-19-2003 at 12:15 PM.

Old 05-20-2003, 03:58 AM   #9
DaveO
Canada
...Of course (now that I read the thread again), that may probably work to your advantage. If there's nothing in Burlington-and I haven't been able to find any-the way will be clear for you to start your own. The town's a good size; with Missisauga right beside - a good potential student base.

Old 05-20-2003, 06:21 AM   #10
rachmass
Ah Dave, that was it!

Yes, actually I'll be in town this weekend scouting out what housing prices are like, and potential dojo space. Wonder if there is much interest for aikido in the area (don't want to locate a dojo in a town of 5,000 folks again!).
Old 05-20-2003, 07:11 AM   #11
DaveO
Canada
No probs, Rachel.

For your info; Burlington is an average-sized town of 137,000. Here's a website with a bit of details:

http://www.burlingtonbythelake.com

Note; the pictures here are just about all the pretty spots in the town; the rest is fairly industrial - although there's a few realy lovely vistas of the flaming smokestacks.

The website is a real-estate page; so you might be able to get a bit of advance info before ya leave. Here's another real-estate site:

http://www.realestateinburlington.net/

Remember; before you have a coronary at the prices; they're in Canadian dollars. So; make the .70% adjustment, and then have a coronary.

Later!

Dave

Old 05-20-2003, 08:42 AM   #12
rachmass
Hi Dave,

Yup, I'm already having a coronary! Homes in Oakville/Burlington are more expensive than what I am used to (and Ann Arbor sure ain't cheap!), even with the exchange rate. See if I scrap all plans after looking around with a RE agent this weekend (we got a good referral).

later,

Rachel
Old 05-20-2003, 08:54 AM   #13
DaveO
Canada
Yup; the closer you get to the Big Ugly; the more expensive things get, unfortunately. Still; you should be able to find just what you want.

And if you're gonna be in on Friday or Sunday; you could take a bit of a wander up the 401 to Kitchener and drop in....

(Friday's class; 7:30pm-10:00. Sunday's informal practice, 10:00am-noon. )

Old 05-21-2003, 05:24 PM   #14
Jim23
Hi Rachael,

Here's one in Waterdown, five minutes west of Burlington. It's not Aikikai though, it's Yoshinkan.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/wayfarer/

There's also one about twenty minutes east and another about the same distance to the west. They are both the dreaded Yoshinkan style.

Good luck.

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 05-21-2003, 05:42 PM   #15
rachmass
Ah Jim,

Not dreaded! Just different from the style I practice. Thank goodness for variety, eh?

Actually I was thinking about Waterdown, but thought it was too small a town. Thanks for the info, as I certainly wouldn't want to park myself next to another dojo (that would be the height of rudeness, plus stupid).

Anyway, this is still a ways off if it happens at all; lets see how pricey the area is before I get excited about the prospect of moving from my home, let alone uprooting my entire family.

best,

Rachel