Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-29-2003, 10:58 AM   #1
Darren Raleigh
Dojo in Des Moines?

Hi all,
I've been looking for an akikai in Des Moines, Iowa. I've found one called Prarie Aikikai, but I haven't been able to contact them. I've sent emails, I've called, and the closest thing to a response I've gotten is a referral to the number of the guy who teaches there. I've left a message with said guy and there's been no response.
Realizing that websites can be a bit behind the times, does anyone know of a practicing akikai in Des Moines?
Thanks,
-D.

"If he would not be a stick whirled and whelmed in the stream, he must be the stream itself, all of it, from its spring to its sinking in the sea."
- Ogion the Silent
Old 04-29-2003, 11:43 AM   #2
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Try this Darren:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iowa Aikikai

YWCA

717 Grand Avenue

Des Moines, IA 50319

515-225-0332

Instructors: Bill Brown II/Barbara Brown
Old 04-29-2003, 12:00 PM   #3
BC
Here's Prairie Aikikai's website:

http://www.prairie-aikikai.com/

as well as an affilliated dojo:

http://www.uiowa.edu/~aikido/index.html

Robert Cronin
Old 04-29-2003, 12:24 PM   #4
Darren Raleigh
Smile Thanks, folks!

I've tried the Prarie Aikikai site, so far to no avail. I'll call the YWCA people and see what I can find out.

Alas, the Iowa City dojo is too far from Des Moines to make it practical to attend.

Thanks again!

"If he would not be a stick whirled and whelmed in the stream, he must be the stream itself, all of it, from its spring to its sinking in the sea."
- Ogion the Silent
Old 04-30-2003, 11:51 AM   #5
BC
I should have been clearer. THe reason I gave the Iowa City website was so that you could call them to find a contact in Des Moines. Good luck!

Robert Cronin
Old 05-01-2003, 08:55 AM   #6
Darren Raleigh
Thanks, everyone.

So far, no success. The number of the YWCA aikikai is the same as that posted on the Prarie Aikikai website. Regrettably, it connects me to a person who tells me that they no longer use this number, but he did give me the number of the person who is listed on the website as running the school. Equally regrettably, this person hasn't returned any of my calls for the last week.

I've written to the Iowa City aikikai, but I'm getting used to the idea that there just isn't any aikido in Des Moines.

Thanks for the referrals anyway.

-D.

- Ogion the Silent
Old 05-01-2003, 04:02 PM   #7
BC
Darren:

I sent out a few messages and received replies that the Prairie Aikikai is indeed still practicing in Des Moines on a very active basis. The person I heard from requested that I forward your contact information to her so she can get in touch with you. Please either send me a private message via Aikiweb or e-mail me at: rcronin@earthlink.net and I will pass it on.

They are affiliated with the dojo where I practice, and are a good bunch of folks.

Regards,

Robert Cronin
Old 05-15-2003, 03:49 PM   #8
BC
Darren - Are you still interested in this topic?

Robert Cronin