Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-29-2017, 03:25 AM   #1
TheOneNamedDan
Dojo: Portland Aikido
United_States
Bokken Reccomendations

Hello everyone, I am having a really great time on Aikiweb so far. I have never seen a community this dedicated from so many different places around the world, it is really incredible.

I am going to begin studying Iwami style Aikido soon, and doing some weapon work as part of that. My Sensei has said that I will need to purchase my own Bokken for the training and I want to make sure that I am making the best purchase. I saw that now there are quite a few Bokken available that are made of different woods and not just Japanese White Oak. Are these impostors that should not even be looked at? And is $60-$80 USD a good price point? I am really nervous excited about this so I imagine my questions are really quite silly, I just want to do my best to get ready. Anything you all can say or suggest would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-29-2017, 04:10 AM   #2
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: Bokken Reccomendations

There are plenty of great woods that are not Japanese white oak. There are also some that are not so good. You would need to be a little bit more specific. Also, your teacher may have some requirements to do with size and shape that you would need to look into.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #3
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

I would recommend that you look at Kingfisher brand weapons. They are a first class company and have a great variety of different weapons (including Iwama style bokuto) made from different woods. Many of my dojomates and I own Kingfisher equipment and are very satisfied with the quality and the prices. Check out their website.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 07-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
Janet Rosen

Kim Taylor at Univ of Guelph makes amazing wooden weapons, reasonably priced. I swear by his hickory bokken and jo... http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_stdweapons.htm

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-30-2017, 04:38 AM   #5
TheOneNamedDan
United_States

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will be sure to check out Kingfisher and SDK supplies before making my decision. I will also try and speak quickly with the instructor to see if there are any special requirements that he has.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:33 PM   #6
TheOneNamedDan
United_States

Quote:
Dan Belnout wrote: View Post
Hello everyone, I am having a really great time on Aikiweb so far. I have never seen a community this dedicated from so many different places around the world, it is really incredible.

I am going to begin studying Iwami style Aikido soon, and doing some weapon work as part of that. My Sensei has said that I will need to purchase my own Bokken for the training and I want to make sure that I am making the best purchase. I saw that now there are quite a few Bokken available that are made of different woods and not just Japanese White Oak. Are these impostors that should not even be looked at? And is $60-$80 USD a good price point? I am really nervous excited about this so I imagine my questions are really quite silly, I just want to do my best to get ready. Anything you all can say or suggest would be greatly appreciated
Just want to thank everyone again for their help and information, I am going to be recieving my Hickory Bokken from Kim Taylor in a couple weeks. I cannot wait, I have been wanting to do some weapons training this year and this is the first time I have actually had a chance.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:25 AM   #7
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Just want to thank everyone again for their help and information, I am going to be recieving my Hickory Bokken from Kim Taylor in a couple weeks. I cannot wait, I have been wanting to do some weapons training this year and this is the first time I have actually had a chance.
They look beautiful. I hope your bokken serves you well.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
MattMiddleton

Dojo: MUN Aikido
Canada

I bought a set of Kim's white oak weapons about 7 years ago, and absolutely love them. The bokken is kind of heavy in comparison to my club's weapons, but I kind of like that - keeps me honest
Old 08-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Wonderful!!! The hickory is lightweight but incredibly tough and very beautiful to handle. You should get many years of solid service from it.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
ninjedi

United_States

I have a purpleheart bokken and tanto from Kim Taylor/SDK. The jo was a bit pricey for my liking, so I found a purpleheart dowel from Bell Forest and cut/sanded and finished it myself to complete the set. They look great and have held up well, but I admit I have spent a great deal of time oiling, sanding, re-oiling all of them so that they retain their quality.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:19 AM   #11
AI KI DO KA
Dojo: Dojo Aikido Wrocław
Poland

I think best way is to go, to Japan. Find old bokken master, and make a deal...

Only variability - guarantees stability.
http://matyjudo.pl/blog/aikido
Old 08-19-2017, 03:08 AM   #12
jamesf
Dojo: Kitsap Aikido, Poulsbo, WA
United_States

For those in the United States, particularly on the west coast, I would recommend www.e-bogu.com. It was maybe two years ago that I purchased from them both an Iwama-style white oak bokken and a jo. Everything showed up at my door within a week, and they have both held up extremely well to frequent partner practice: no cracking, no splinters, no run-outs, and all dents are small and shallow.

The bokken has good heft to it, maybe 3/4 the weight of an actual katana; it even seems to be maybe an ounce or two heavier than my sensei's bokken (also Iwama-style). The jo is actually a little light for my taste, but that's just the result of it being of "standard" dimension.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #13
Avery Jenkins

Dojo: Litchfield Hills Aikikai

Blizniak's Bokkens is a great site. He has dozens of hardwoods at his disposal -- all sustainably harvested -- and can make a variety of weapons. I had him make a laminated jo with the outer layers of ipe and the center layer of bloodwood, and that thing just rocks.

I later picked up an all-ipe bokken on a clearance sale for $80. Weighs more than my hickory bokken, but the thing is really well balanced and packs a wallop.

Dan is a really knowledgeable guy, and will answer your questions promptly.

http://blizniaksbokken.com/

Avery Jenkins
Author of Dark River, to be released in Oct. 2020
www.averyjenkinsauthor.com
Old 09-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #14
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Kim Taylor SDK Supplies....
Old 10-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
Dothemo
Dojo: Canberra
Australia

I bought mine from All Japan Bodogu, they are Japanese made with free international shipping. http://www.alljapanbudogu.com. Excellent quality bokken, just excellent including the price too.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:31 PM   #16
jurasketu
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

I strongly recommend Kingfisher. Appalachian Hickory is damn near indestructible and lightweight. The quality is great - especially the higher end versions. They make great gifts.

All paths lead to death. I strongly recommend taking one of the scenic routes.
AWA - Nidan - Started Aikido training in 2008
Old 10-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #17
Cliff Judge
Japan

Don't get a hickory bokken for Iwama Aikiken. That bokken is supposed to have a particular shape and balance and a hickory version will be too light and soft. Get something like the ones Saito Sensei used, probably just Japanese white oak.