Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
J.T. Hamilton
United_States
Kata-Dori Ude Osae Ura (Ikajo)

Hi there; I'm looking for a video of the Kata-Dori Ude Osae Ura (Ikajo) technique. I tried looking it up, but couldn't find the exact technique, just techniques that were similar-sounding. Can anyone here show me a video demonstration of this technique specifically?

Thank you for your time.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:44 AM   #2
MRoh
Germany
Re: Kata-Dori Ude Osae Ura (Ikajo)

Quote:
John Hamilton wrote: View Post
Hi there; I'm looking for a video of the Kata-Dori Ude Osae Ura (Ikajo) technique.
Do you mean Ikkyo ura waza?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNFQJFr-XZY

second technique.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
RickMatz
Dojo: Tenbu Dojo, Wixom MI
United_States

See aiki.info

Old 03-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
J.T. Hamilton
United_States

Nope; doesn't look like anything I've been seeing yet. I'm kind of assuming that it's a Jo-Staff Kata of sorts, because of the words "Kata" and "Ikajo."
Old 03-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
J.T. Hamilton
United_States

I've only been training three times a week since February 19th, so I'm pretty new to everything; I'm not even quite sure yet what specific style of Aikido I'm learning lol.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
jamesf
Dojo: Kitsap Aikido, Poulsbo, WA
United_States

"Kata" has several homonyms in Japanese but "katadori", in Aikido context, means "shoulder grab/seize". The word "Ikkajo" is originally from Daito-ryu and just means "first list", however Yoshinkan-style Aikido uses the word in place of what most other styles call "ikkyo" (meaning "first teaching"). "Ude osae" means "arm-pin", and, IIRC, it is what Tomiki (Shodokan)-style Aikido prefers to call ikkajo/ikkyo. "Ura" means "rearward" with an implied meaning of "hidden". All put together, assuming you have your terminology straight, that means you are looking ikkajo/ikkyo performed with an ura (tenkan to your own rear) movement, rather than an entering (irimi/omote) movement, with uke initiating with a shoulder grab.

Now, if you are looking for techniques involving pins using a jo, go to Youtube and search for "aikido jonage" or "aikido jodori". Once you find which one you're looking for, share the link and let us know which one it was, and maybe we can be a bit more helpful on what it might actually be called (hopefully it will be something other than "kokyunage", which is a vague label given to several vaguely-related, otherwise-unnamed techniques).

Last edited by jamesf : 03-21-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: forgot to mention the shoulder grab again
Old 03-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
J.T. Hamilton
United_States

@James: Thank you very much! I was unaware of that; but it makes more sense now because that's a lot of what I was finding when I typed it into google. Sounds kind of familiar too. Thinking I was totally mistaken on what I thought it was lol. XD

Thanks again with the terminology help!
Old 03-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #8
J.T. Hamilton
United_States

I'll just ask my Sensei about it tomorrow; it's one of the techniques necessary for passing the 6th Kyu Test; few others too; Shikko and Ukemi are at the top of the list; getting better at those.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:41 PM   #9
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan

This might help. It is a series of videos showing the basic Yoshinkan-style techniques done by the offshoot Renshinkai group:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...C15C822A2C09B6

Naturally having something useful to say is like natural responses during training: It takes much practice.