Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-23-2005, 06:42 PM   #1
AikiSean!

Dojo: Alpharetta Martial Arts
United_States
Question on etiquette

I've enjoyed every single aspect of my training. My fellow students, my sensei, my dojo as a whole. The dojo offers two arts, Tae Kwon Do and also Aikido. My question is, I have also been very interested in grappling arts, would it be considered disrespectful to take a grappling art elsewhere? I know there are some teachers here who could shed light on a personal level about how this would make them feel. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
Yokaze

Dojo: Five Dragons
United_States
Re: Question on etiquette

I can tell you that no sensei will take offense if you take another martial art elsewhere. There's nothing wrong with improving your skills in multiple areas, so long as it is something you enjoy. Be careful, though, not to get your techniques mixed up. ^_^

"The only true victory is victory over oneself."

Rob Cunningham
3rd Kyu

Icon courtesy of Norbert Knoll http://www.aikido-verein-hannover.de
Old 02-23-2005, 09:19 PM   #3
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Rob Cunningham wrote:
I can tell you that no sensei will take offense if you take another martial art elsewhere.
Not true. I know people who've been told they need to make a choice between the two styles they were studying.

Quote:
Sean Constable wrote:
I have also been very interested in grappling arts, would it be considered disrespectful to take a grappling art elsewhere?
There is no way for us to know the particular etiquette your Sensei wants followed. Best bet is to simply ask. I'm sure that if you phrase it as a polite question it won't ruffle any feathers.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-23-2005, 10:31 PM   #4
AikiSean!

Dojo: Alpharetta Martial Arts
United_States

Yah, I doubt my sensei be ruffled. I just respect my dojo so much that if its even considered bad etiquette then I'd just rather avoid it all together. Thanks for the feedback guys, was just curious how you would feel if some of your students did/asked that.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Sean Constable wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, was just curious how you would feel if some of your students did/asked that.
My Sensei has always encouraged us to experience other instructors and/or arts. I still asked if it would be ok with him if I trained in iaido while training in aikido.

Where I teach there are 5 arts (aikido, judo, karate, kobudo, MMA) taught at the same facility. Dojo dues cover all 5 arts and people from all arts are encouraged to try any others they may be interested in. Few people cross train to any significant degree.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-24-2005, 07:07 AM   #6
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

My teacher always told me to go train anywhere and with anyone that I thought would help me.

If my students are interested in other martial arts, I usually go way out of my way to help them find someone who can help them out - even if it means they quit my class. Heck I've trained in other martial arts besides aikido and I thought it helped me a lot.

A couple of points from experience though:
1) If you have a teacher who is training you with a primary focus on your movement to get the feeling of what they are trying to teach you (rather than focusing on technique to feel the power you can have over someone primarily) then I'd suggest that you do not cross train until you are at least 2nd or 3rd degree blackbelt. (If you are in a dojo that stresses technique for the sake of technique, then I'd say go on to anything that focuses on movement provided _as stated above_ that you can keep your techniques straight.)

2) I got the idea that if someone in the lower dan ranks who was no longer taking class anywhere was willing to teach me things, that there would be no problem for me to go train with them, but I shouldn't invite such a person to come teach a seminar at my school as that would be giving similar status to professional teachers who fully paid their dues as students.

Good luck.
Rob
Old 02-26-2005, 05:31 PM   #7
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

Quote:
Not true. I know people who've been told they need to make a choice between the two styles they were studying.
So very true.

I think the best way to go would be to approach your sensei and ask his/her thoughts. Hiding it would be poor taste and in my opinion do more harm than offending your sensei with the initial question.

I do not have a problem with students cross training.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru