Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-04-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of December 31, 1969:

Have you every personally and specifically thanked your aikido instructor for their efforts in teaching you?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:25 AM   #2
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
Jun? Why does it say 1969?

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 04-04-2004, 09:58 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States
Yes.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-04-2004, 10:23 AM   #4
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
Yes
Old 04-04-2004, 12:34 PM   #5
akiy

Quote:
Jo Adell (Qatana) wrote:
Jun? Why does it say 1969?
Hm. Interesting. I'll take a look at it.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-04-2004, 12:35 PM   #6
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Every day.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:36 PM   #7
John Tjia
Dojo: White Plains Aikido of Westchester
Remove "I don't do aikido"

How about removing the "I don't do aikido" option? People who don't do aikido shouldn't be answering these aikido-related questions.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:48 PM   #8
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Jun, if one updates dojo-search entries the date also comes out as 1969. I suspect a clock problem somewhere.

Our dojo has an unwritten rule that if even one student shows up, the class is held, so I've had occasional private lessons from various instructors. This is a huge gift and I can't imagine not thanking them specifically for it.

Mary Kaye
Old 04-04-2004, 05:56 PM   #9
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
Re: Remove "I don't do aikido"

Quote:
John Tjia wrote:
How about removing the "I don't do aikido" option? People who don't do aikido shouldn't be answering these aikido-related questions.
I actually think that's why it's there. If there were no "I don't do aikido" option, those that would have selected that choice would instead answer the aikido-related question, thus throwing off the results a little.

At least that's why I thought it was there.

Sarah

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
-Albert Einstein
Old 04-04-2004, 06:23 PM   #10
Josh Bisker
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai, and Renshinkan London
United_States
i find myself thanking the instructor for class frequently. if a class is good i see nothing wrong with telling the instructor so, and thereby thanking them. and we have mostly good classes, so ...

btw, jun, there's a typo in the question, too. "ever" and not "every." sorry for being nitpicky!

-josh
Old 04-04-2004, 06:33 PM   #11
skyetide
Holy shocking question batman!

Yes, I thank my instructors daily. I pay for instruction in Aikido technique, but my thanks comes as recognition that they teach me much more than simple moves. When they help me make connections, give me positive reinforcement, or just give me their time in discussion of Aikido they are giving me gifts beyond what is expected. I also try to thank them by training as best as possible. It's amazing what kind of power looking someone in the eyes and thanking them sincerely has. As a teacher by profession (not Aikido), I know that I do not expect thanks for doing my job, but when it happens sincerely it recharges my energy and it makes me want to do even more because I know the energy that I put forth is being used and not wasted.

Someone gives you the gift of Aikido and you don't thank him??? Most shameful indeed. But then, I've only ever had good instructors.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:59 PM   #12
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
All the time!

After all, it is common to have good classes, but we also have EXCEPTIONAL classes from time to time.

Everyone needs to be appreciated for their efforts. Our dojo-cho is volunteering his time and expertise for us, FREELY and it is very gratifying for him ( I am sure) to see this appreciated.

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 04-04-2004, 09:40 PM   #13
Jerry Miller

United_States
Yes.Every Day.

Jerry Miller
Old 04-05-2004, 12:27 AM   #14
cuguacuarana
Dojo: River Valley Aikido
I thank my sensei and sempai after nearly every practice. I am not only thankful that they take their time to show me the techniques, but because I am the newest member of our dojo, I take the most time to learn techniques I am greatful for the patience everybody else has shown me.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:05 AM   #15
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
My answer is no.

I`m trying to figure out why that is. I train in Japan and it seems that personally and specifically thanking the teacher in a way that is not part of the form of the class is just not done. I am interested in hearing what others who train/have trained in Japan think. When I train in the U.S., I have thanked my teachers, but in Japan, I have never even thought about it.

Charles Hill
Old 04-05-2004, 03:51 AM   #16
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Hi Charles - this is a good point. Basically at the end of class you DO thank your teacher - each and every time. Doing it again seems a little over the top.
Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
My answer is no.

I`m trying to figure out why that is. I train in Japan and it seems that personally and specifically thanking the teacher in a way that is not part of the form of the class is just not done. I am interested in hearing what others who train/have trained in Japan think. When I train in the U.S., I have thanked my teachers, but in Japan, I have never even thought about it.

Charles Hill

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-05-2004, 10:59 AM   #17
rcoit
Dojo: northeast aikikai
United_States
I have offered, albeit infrequently, appreciation to Sensai for some specific theme of the session. Much more often, however, I thank Sempai.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:39 AM   #18
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
Hi Charles - this is a good point. Basically at the end of class you DO thank your teacher - each and every time. Doing it again seems a little over the top.
Yes, but it is part of the form. I personally feel extremely grateful to my teachers, but from the outside what I do to express it is physically the same as some other guy in the dojo who really doesn`t care.

I think that personally, having been (fortunately? unfortunately?) indoctrinated into the Japanese way of doing things, the main reason I don`t thank my instructors "personally and specifically" is that it is just not done here and I would feel strange to act outside the norm.

I`m not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. As a non-Japanese living in Japan, this question is just one part of the total problem of how to act in the best way. Having lived here awhile, I generally know how a Japanese person would act in a certain situation, but I also find that merely doing the same thing does not always adequately express my feelings as a non-Japanese.

Charles Hill

Last edited by Charles Hill : 04-06-2004 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:56 AM   #19
Min
Dojo: Rochester Aikido Club
Yes.

At my club we have an instructor that might leave in a year or two. I like to take time now to recognize the contribution he is making to each of us.

Also, I thank my sempai as well, who sometimes lead class, when there is an especially good set of points that they cover in their instruction. This way they are provided feedback and encouragement for their efforts.