Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #26
MM
United_States
Re: internal skills progress?

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
damn! I am already committed to a week in DC for a summer camp (aikido) the end of June which blows my budget out of the window. I won't be able to make Akuzawa seminar. Although, since I'll be in DC for a whole week, I am willing to bribe with dinner and drink for you gentlemen and ladies that could show moi the internal ropes (so I can hang myself).
Thanks ahead.
I'll probably get blasted for this, but ... my suggestion would be to cancel, if at all possible, the DC summer camp in favor of making Akuzawa's seminar. Why?

1. If it's a summer camp, I'm betting that attendance will be large. And I've yet to see a large seminar teach much of anything relevant that stays with you.

2. Akuzawa's seminar will be small. Rob will be there. So you have two quality instructors for about 40 people (my guess). It's hard to beat that.

3. Akuzawa isn't known to do many seminars. I think this is his first on the whole East side of the Mississippi. Summer Camps are just that ... each summer.

4. The experience of hands on with Rob and Akuzawa is priceless. I haven't had hands on with Akuzawa, but with Rob. If you want opinions on Akuzawa specifically, ask the attendees from the previous West Coast seminars.

5. Attending a Summer Camp seems to be more "organizational", more "social", and more "political" than anything else. Attending Akuzawa's is geared more towards developing structure and internal strength which is the basis for DR, Aikido, Tai Chi, etc. This will get you started so that you can then visit others and keep somewhat on track.

6. Akuzawa's training methodology is far better than most Aikido schools. I don't need to train with Akuzawa to know this. I see how Rob has progressed in three years as opposed to some people spending 10 or more. (Same goes for Dan. I see his students and their progression. Can't say that for Mike because I haven't really met any of his students. I don't know that he has any, except us semi-ignorant aikido people. ).

All IMO,
Mark
Old 05-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #27
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
damn! I am already committed to a week in DC for a summer camp (aikido) the end of June which blows my budget out of the window. I won't be able to make Akuzawa seminar. Although, since I'll be in DC for a whole week, I am willing to bribe with dinner and drink for you gentlemen and ladies that could show moi the internal ropes (so I can hang myself).
Thanks ahead.
Find the money... it's worth it. The great thing about what Akuzawa is teaching is that you can take it with you and work on it on your own. It's all about doing the work. It's hard work but completely comprehensible. I agree with Mark that you shouldn't miss this.

On the other hand I am teaching at DC Camp and I think that Mark's comments about camps don't reflect the proper way to get the most out of events like that. There will be some very senior folks at the camp teaching, some of whom are quite excellent at instructing. The best training is obtained by working with these folks as partners. Grab them and ask to do a class or half a class. If you can't get on their dance card, grab them after class and ask questions. You can get virtually private instruction doing this. Ask if they could work with you during the lunch break on whatever you want to get help on... That's the way to really come away from the large events with something tangible. Go after the knowledge you want, don't just sit there and do the standard group thing... I can't think of any instructor who would say no to working with you at some point. The "hungry" folks get fed.

But do train with Akuzawa Sensei and grab Rob as frequently as you can as a partner. These guys have a VERY clear and sequential training methodology. Seminars like this are why God created plastic! Remember, you are not broke as long as you have balance available!

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #28
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Ledyard Sensei,

So you will be at summer Camp at Catholic?

I will try and make it up there, if nothing else, i'd simply like to meet you and say hi and shake your hand!

I will try and make at least a day of training if I can. I hope I can maybe work with you even if just a little.

Thanks!

Kevin

Old 05-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #29
MM
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post

On the other hand I am teaching at DC Camp and I think that Mark's comments about camps don't reflect the proper way to get the most out of events like that. There will be some very senior folks at the camp teaching, some of whom are quite excellent at instructing. The best training is obtained by working with these folks as partners. Grab them and ask to do a class or half a class. If you can't get on their dance card, grab them after class and ask questions. You can get virtually private instruction doing this. Ask if they could work with you during the lunch break on whatever you want to get help on... That's the way to really come away from the large events with something tangible. Go after the knowledge you want, don't just sit there and do the standard group thing... I can't think of any instructor who would say no to working with you at some point. The "hungry" folks get fed.
Well, putting it that way, I don't think I can disagree. A very good strategy for making the most out of a crowded seminar.

Mark