Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #26
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
Re: Hello from Atlanta! Any advice on Aikido schools here?

Funny thing - I lived in Atlanta 7 years and now that Im in a totally different country in the middle of nowhere, Im taking Aikido - when it appears that Atlanta has a ton of dojos. - well, a few anyway.

When I was in Atlanta I kept kicking around the idea of Wing Chun - I wanted a martial art where I could defend myself against multiple attackers. (Something happened 10 years back when I lived in Hungary previously, that influenced this choice.)
Needless to say I wound up not taking anything, and the same situation happened when I came back to Hungary, but I didnt need any extra skill, I defended myself nicely...but left the guy bleeding.

It was then I decided to try to learn a more peaceful route to defend myself that would not leave the attacker hurt. (of course it depends on the situation) So I took up Aikido, so that I could use a more peaceful means to protect myself and feel that I could defend myself. But now I realize, actually even before I started, that some of these wrist twist, etc. can do worse damage than a little blood squirting out the nose.

So in essence it comes down to inner attitude, and just walking away most of the time.

But, anyway - your question is if there are any places in Atlanta...yes there are a few, and some of the guys from Atlanta that post on here seem pretty cool.

Have fun whatever you choose to do.

peace

dAlen