Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-27-2003, 07:20 AM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
broken mushin

~~Hi All!

I called this thread broken mushin because I was training the other night and really noticed these workings inside myself. We were training in jiya waza on ushiro entries and, without trying, I could see/sense these imaginary thought lines going from my brain out into my body at times right after I'd been thinking the old 'what now? what now?'. Every now and then a technique would arise without thought and surprise even me! But usually not.

My query then: Does anyone have pracices for shutting the mind up or increasing those moments when things just happen? Is it just more years on the mat? Meditation? Being exhausted when training?

Take care

~~Paula~~
Old 10-27-2003, 12:33 PM   #2
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
Your partner is your partner.

There is no enemy.

It is not about winning nor about losing.

When I die by the sword, I will do so with honor.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 10-27-2003, 02:23 PM   #3
paw
Quote:
My query then: Does anyone have pracices for shutting the mind up or increasing those moments when things just happen? Is it just more years on the mat? Meditation? Being exhausted when training?
You might consider keeping a training journal and noting when such things happen for you. You might be able to see common indicators that would lead you to your answers.

Regards,

Paul
Old 10-27-2003, 02:47 PM   #4
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: broken mushin

Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
~~My query then: Does anyone have pracices for shutting the mind up or increasing those moments when things just happen? Is it just more years on the mat? Meditation? Being exhausted when training?
The best analysis I've seen of it is Susan A. Jackson, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Flow in Sports (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...lance&n=507846)

Unlike Plato, Takuan, and Choisai, they not only describe it, but offer conditions for facilitating it. Excellent.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 10-29-2003, 05:29 PM   #5
SeiserL

United_States
Yep, sport psychology has tons of this stuff. It basically comes down to relaxation, mental training/rehearsal, minimize or automate internal processing, and maintaining an external focus of awareness following the continual flow of the activity through its end point.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!