Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-12-2001, 04:10 AM   #1
Scott Grenney
Different Styles

Hi,

I practiced Aikido for a number of years when I was younger (around 7 years ago now), and I'm thinking of starting it up again, but after reading a number of websites I've found there are different "styles" of Aikido like:

Aikikai,
Yoshinkan,
Ki-Aikido...

And more. What's the difference between them? .
Old 05-12-2001, 04:21 AM   #2
mj
Oh my God! Get ready for the replies...

Old 05-12-2001, 07:48 AM   #3
guest1234
Talking

I'll grab the bandages, you get the splints...
Old 05-12-2001, 08:48 AM   #4
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
The teachers, your fellow students and the all around dojo atmosphere will mean much more to you than the style that they practice.

Make a list of schools were you can reasonably attend classes based on your schedule, their schedule, commute times, etc. This will probably be a pretty short list.

Observe and possibly even participate in several classes at each one. Call ahead and ask permission. Be specific about when you're coming. Call and apologize if something comes up and you can't make it.

Listen a lot and don't say much. Don't nod or shake your head to yourself. Don't cross your arms across your chest.

Speak with the teacher. It is important to be very polite. Mainly just introduce yourself. Maybe ask a non-offensive but open ended question like "Does it take a lot of athletic ability to be become accomplished?"

Speak with some senior students. Ask them questions like: "How long have you been training here?", "What do you like about your instructor?", etc.

Don't ask frivolous questions. Specifically do _not_ ask "How long does it take to get a black belt?". You're really just trying to get a feel for the place.

Jot down some written notes (obviously not while you're speaking with them).

Then review your notes and use your own judgement. You know yourself and the kind of training you want. It's different for everyone. However, a lot of people walking around with non-trivial injuries is a universally bad sign.

Remember that it's a long-term venture. Pick a dojo that you can stick with for the long haul.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 05-12-2001, 09:38 AM   #5
Jim23
Scott,

I agree with most of what Greg said, except the part about not crossing your arms across your chest (just kidding).

Although you should be polite when talking to the teacher (by the way, he/she should be polite also), ask as many (non-offensive) questions as you like. In most cases you will be paying for the teaching.

Make sure you find a teacher(s) that you can respect -- avoid the arrogant types.

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 05-12-2001, 11:23 AM   #6
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Good advice from Jim and Greg;

Look at all the students - not just the senior ones. You will be spending time with these people - if you get hooked - more time. Are people having a good time, are they interacting well together, are these a bunch of people you could get to know and like.

Rank of teacher is not important enough to base your decision on. Teaching experience is, they are not necessarily the same.

Finally, try not to pre-conclude what style of Aikido you prefer. Trust your gut - you will know what's right for you when you see it.

As to the original question there are major differences and major similarities. Take a look at the introduction section of http://www.aikidofaq.com I would change a few things such as how to classify Tomiki but essentially it does a good job.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-12-2001, 12:06 PM   #7
Scott Grenney
I'll have a look around. I would liked to of picked up the style I used before, but I guess I'll be started from fresh anyway so the style type would not matter.

Thanks for the advice
Old 05-12-2001, 12:10 PM   #8
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Grenney
I'll have a look around. I would liked to of picked up the style I used before, but I guess I'll be started from fresh anyway so the style type would not matter.
I should say when I moved I switched styles and really gained a lot out of it. Ended up opening my own club doing what I did before but there is a lot to be said for exploring a bit.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido