Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-01-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
Tony Hudspith
Dojo: Hartlepool/Peterlee
United Kingdom
Mats hire for course in 2006

Hi everyone
HEEEEEEEELP!
I'm Tony Hudspith and I'm looking to hold next years week long course for Dynamic Aikido in the traditions of Master Andre Nocquet (DAN) in Scarborough England for 2006. Our only problem that I can foresee is that we will need extra matting for the large number of people attending the course for the week. Does anyone have any contacts as to where we can hire mats from and any idea on the cost of these mats.
Your help in this would take a whole load of weight off my shoulders.
Hope to hear from you all soon.
Tony Hudspith (3rd Dan United Kingdom Aikido Union)
www.aikidonortheast.com
Old 04-04-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
Jack Simpson
Dojo: Western Maryland Aikikai - Frederick, Maryland
Location: hangin' with the tengu in the "mountains" of Maryland
Re: Mats hire for course in 2006

Hi Tony,

First of all, best of luck with all the preparations . On the mats front, you may want to consider contacting Zebra mats . Not sure if they have a European office, but they are worth contacting. The deal we did for a seminar, and others as well (see: Aiki Expo ) is that Zebra provides new mats which you "buy". Then you can sell the mats after the seminar as "used" via Zebra, to local dojos and attendees.

It worked out great for us, as we got great mats for the seminar and all the mats were sold to satellite dojos afterward. Zebra may also have a route where you can just rent them, but I'm not sure.

Best of luck,
Jack
Old 04-04-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
mj

Tony - contact the local (regional) Judo clubs, perhaps they may hire you some or even give for free if you are willing to return the compliment sometime.

Old 04-04-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Local schools, gymnastics clubs - or even other Aikido clubs might be able to loan or rent you mats.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
Tony Hudspith
United Kingdom

Hi everyone
Thanks for your replies but we have tried schools, sports centres and other clubs but they are reluctant to hire out their mats. maybe this will change when we explain how important it is to us to hold this event.
In the meantime I am still looking for companies who hire mats out. This would eleviate any mat transportation that we would be likely to come across. Our resources are limited at the moment and rely on the good will of the other Aikidoka to help.
Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Once again thanks for all the help so far.
Tony
Old 04-06-2005, 09:20 AM   #6
Adrian Price

Dojo: None
United Kingdom

Good luck with finding mats.

My recomedation would be to ask some of the instructors that are attending if they could bring one of their mats with them.

I can understand the reluctance of Judo clubs to relinquish their mats for the week, most mats are owned by the instructors, and they will be fearfull of the mats being returned damaged.

If I was in a position to attend the course I would willingly bring one of my stes of mats with me.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Any chance of moving the seminar to a place that can supply mats, or has their own, a school or gymnastics gym???
Old 04-06-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
henry brown

Dojo: Soseikan, Worth IL

Maybe you could try doing this as a fund raising event, common in the US. That is, well-heeled people could sponsor the purchase of a mat. You could do this at different sponsorship levels both for individuals and for organizations (both dojo groups and corporate sponsors). You could give different donation levels goofy names 'friend of O Sensei" etc. You would probably need to give the sponsors some back-scratching (like a printed list of all of the sponsors, aikido related swag, etc.). Just like fund raising anywhere, you would need to stroke egos a bit.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:52 AM   #9
mj

Quote:
Adrian Price wrote:
My recomedation would be to ask some of the instructors that are attending if they could bring one of their mats with them...
At the very least you will have to hire a van to transport them.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:43 AM   #10
Tony Hudspith
United Kingdom

Hi everyone
Thaks for your ideas, I think the sponsorship idea is great. Maybe someone would buy us new mats and they could be delivered to the venue. Yes, we would still need to hire a vehicle to return them to our normal dojos but we had envisaged this anyway. This is something I really don't want to do as it can create a really big headache. (More pain than a nikyo AND a yonkyo on both hands!)
Keep your suggestions and ideas coming in and let's hope we can sort something out.
Byeeeeee
Tony
Old 09-23-2005, 11:06 PM   #11
johnharland
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Nocquet
United Kingdom

by the way this thread is going it seems i will be transporting some mats from hartlepool/peterlee to scarborough then huh Tony???

Oh and BTW guys ive felt tony's Nikyo and yonkyo - dont fancy that again in a hurry