Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-03-2007, 06:57 AM   #26
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Poll: If a 50 year old person came into your aikido dojo and said that they would

At almost 57, I would have to say, "Welcome youngster, let me show you how to bow in."

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:52 AM   #27
gdandscompserv

United_States
Re: Poll: If a 50 year old person came into your aikido dojo and said that they would

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
At almost 57, I would have to say, "Welcome youngster, let me show you how to bow in."
Nice Lynn.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #28
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

And note the actual wording of the questin. It is not "Become a shihan" ,it's "Study to become a shihan" and essentially, we are all doing that, whether we ever chose to even become Instructors.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 07-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #29
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada

So long as their goal wasn't to take Aikido and use it to oppress others, I would be encouraging regardless of a person's age. I would be even more so in that they are 50 and have set such high goals for themselves (no matter how seemingly unrealistic they might seem to some) --- if they are highly determined and willing to put in the effort and practice that it takes to work towards that goal, even if they don't quite get there, I would be behind them one hundred percent every step of the way. "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

It might also be worth quoting something I have posted on my office wall at work:

"We must not allow other people's limited perceptions to define us." --- Virginia Satir

Far be it from me to discourage another from their dream if they're willing to work for it.

Last edited by jducusin : 07-03-2007 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Addition, and correction of a typo.

Open Sky Aikikai - http://www.winnipegaikido.com
"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 11-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #30
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

Inaba Shihan told me a story once of a man who joined Kobayashi Dojo in Japan when he was in his 60s. He was up to 7 dan 20 years later.

I could have the details wrong, but the point of the story was that age is not a barrier if you have the motivation.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #31
BC

Well, Norio "Mike" Mamura Sensei from the Milwaukee Aikido Club started aikido at the age of 47 and advanced to 6th dan well before he passed away at the age of 82 in 2000. By today's standards he would most likely have been named a Shihan within the USAF.

Robert Cronin
Old 11-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #32
Sy Labthavikul
Dojo: Aikido Academy USA of Alhambra
United_States

One of the 5th dan at my dojo is now 69 and started aikido in 1986 at the age of 48ish. When I discovered this fact my jaw hit the floor, since he moves like a man half his age and his aikido is particularly swift and powerful (he's always in our blind spots like a ninja; when he teaches he always says "you have to disappear"). I seriously thought he was in his late forties or early fifties.

---------------------------------
train as if the tengu will never visit, execute as if they already have
Old 11-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #33
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England

Well, as we don't have Shihan in among any of the wonderful non-Japanese senior teachers I have trained with over the years, I would firstly explain that I couldn't see the Yoshinkan bestowing that title in a hurry as there are quite a few ahead in the queue!

Actually, I would have to add to the cries that this is the wrong reason to train, as to train to a goal, usually means that people give up when they get there - mind you they wouldn't get there (so maybe they would give up when they realise?)!!!!!

It is that old story:

"Sensei, how long will it take me to get to Black Belt?"

"10 Years!"

"How about if I work twice as hard?"

"20 Years!"

"Sensei, I say I will work harder and you say it will take longer?"

"With one eye on the goal there can be only one eye on the path!"

Or something like that!

Osu!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #34
siwilson
England

What is a Shihan anyway?

Osu!
Old 11-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #35
Travis Johnson
Dojo: Nippon Kan Aikido, Denver, CO
United_States

From the sources I have read, shihan means "master instructor."
Old 11-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #36
siwilson
England

Teacher of teachers is the one that I've heard mostly, but whar does it really mean? It isn't to do wih rank, but people are awarded the title in some organisations.

Osu!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:25 AM   #37
Marc Kupper
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley / ASU
United_States

Quote:
Andrew Barron wrote: View Post
What would you do if a 50 year old Shihan came into you dojo and wanted to take part in a beginners class?
We say "of course" and ask he he or she would like to teach. Friday night is our Introduction to Aikido class and on one occasion a shihan flew in for a weekend seminar, dropped by the dojo to say hello, and ended up teaching. It seemed he really enjoyed showing people how to do their first low forward roll and it was a great class.

I don't think we have had an official shihan on the mat as a student in the beginners' class though we have had 5th dan students including one that was shortly afterwards promoted to 6th dan meaning that we must have taught the right stuff.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #38
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

There are shihan in the Yoshinkan, including non-japanese. Amos Parker has a shihan certificate from Shioda Kancho.

I think the Yoshinkan is similar to Aikikai, in that for a while the title was kind of associated with the hombu dojo...the only people who really spoke of it were those who were of high rank and who taught at the hombu, or had their own major dojo in Japan.

I think the usage has drifted back and forth over the years...maybe Spike Kimeda can fill us in on the "true" usage. He spent many years at hombu.

SPIKE!!!!!

Best,
Ron (the above are just my impressions...not statements of fact, except for Amos Parker's cert)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)