Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-18-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Which way of ukemi do you employ for you to learn aikido more effectively?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of November 18, 2007:

Which way of ukemi do you employ for you to learn aikido more effectively?
  • I don't do aikido
  • I fully resist techniques
  • I fully receive techniques
Here are the current results.

Cast your vote at the top right of this page.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:46 AM   #2
eyrie

Australia
Re: Poll: Which way of ukemi do you employ for you to learn aikido more effectively?

None of the above?

To clarify... I don't do ukemi like this (anymore)... My view of ukemi is about giving and receiving force and doing something with it. What you do with it is, is the key... not how you do it, as in fully resisting or fully receiving. There's no such thing as fully resist or fully receive - certainly not in a collaborative learning paradigm...

Ignatius
Old 11-18-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Poll: Which way of ukemi do you employ for you to learn aikido more effectively?

None of the above.

With some beginner students, I would actually correct their techiques so they will throw me with better movements then they have done alone (at least, this is my goal).

With advanced students slightly less then me, I will adhere to the purpose of the teacher as I understand it. This may mean:
- resisting with force to make them react with better body mechanics,
- or following their evasion moves with my attack if I can, to improve their timing
- or showing them any opening I can find in their techniques (and if repeated - reverse the technique if I can).
- or just showing them the exact direction their force is moving me (you may call this "recieveing only" but it often shows mistakes).
All in accordance with the teachers intention for the specific practice and\or the request of the person I am practicing with.

Amir
Old 11-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

I take it easy with beginners, but with advanced and senior students, I resist. I do not resist throughout the whole technique, nor do I muscle up, but i do attack hard and if it is a grabbing technique, I grab well and receive the technique after the initial hold is broken. If I feel there is a place I can resist later in the technique, sometimes I've tried and usually receive the proper motivating atemi.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I'd say none of the above as well.

It isn't about going with the technique (recieving), nor resisting the technique. It is about being uke correctly by offering a correct, balanced and tactical situation as possible. If nage makes a mistake, uke is in a position to help him along with developing his skill, or seeing the gap in it.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:39 PM   #6
akiy

Perhaps there ought to be an "Of the two," tacked onto the beginning of the poll question...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:22 AM   #7
eyrie

Australia

If that were the case, my answer would be "neither".

Interestingly though, a large percentage seems to have voted "Fully receive".

Ignatius
Old 11-19-2007, 04:07 AM   #8
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

The way I understand ukemi right now in my development, I voted fully receive. Not because I never resist, but because the way I see it, in order to resist effectively I need to fully receive at the same time. I guess if it was an option I might have voted "both".

I think it's nice to have polls abut seeming extreme opposites, makes one think.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 11-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
wideawakedreamer

Dojo: Bu Yuu Kan dojo
Philippines

None of the above for me. I resist just enough so that the nage really has to move me but not so much that it turns into a wrestling match (unless nage happens to be really good, in which case no matter what I do I am going down).

Old 11-25-2007, 07:45 AM   #10
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

In Kihon-waza (Basic pattern technique) the main idea is to learn the technique therefore I fully receive the technique.

In Jiyu-waza (Randori) the main idea is to apply the technique therefore I fully resist the technique.

Boon.

Last edited by xuzen : 11-25-2007 at 07:55 AM.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.