Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How strong of a connection do you personally feel to Morihei Ueshiba?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of October 7, 2007:

How strong of a connection do you personally feel to Morihei Ueshiba?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Absolutely strong
  • Very strong
  • Somewhat strong
  • Not very strong
  • Not at all strong
Here are the current results.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Poll: How strong of a connection do you personally feel to Morihei Ueshiba?

Very strong.
Direct lineage.
Proud of it.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Good food for thought. Thanks Jun.

Since you said personally I had to say not very strong. I appreciate Morihei Ueshiba's gift to the world so much. We have a direct lineage to him too and I am grateful for that and for my own path that I travel.

Besides people that are alive I only feel a strong personal connection to my parents and maternal grandparents who have passed.

Mary
Old 10-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

A strong connection to someone I never knew personally, is a fantasy at best. That is not to say that I don't feel connected to his mission; I do, and have felt it an honor to be in the role of an aikido missionary. I hope this poll will give everyone good reflections.

In gassho

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 10-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
gdandscompserv

United_States

I look forward to meeting him when I die.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
Aiki x

No connection at all
Old 10-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Since you said personally, I said Not very strong.

Sure my lineage is very direct but what has that got anything to with anything personally.

There are a lot of people I admire much more than him. Not just who they were and what they said, but by their actions.
I think too many people in this art romanticize about him way too much. The more I have learned over the years the more disenchanted I grow with him. I think Stanely Pranin was right when he said that modern aikido in various forms has more to do with how it grew up and was shaped by his students internationally after the war when he was essentially retired not withstanding all the posturing by Iwama folk.

After watching Ken Burn's documentary "The War" the last few weeks, which depicts my Dad's generation (he fought in the Pacific), it was chance again to think about all I have learned.

What would aikido be today without Japan's defeat being a complete and unconditional surrender? A society so thoroughly drenched in militarism. That documentary was perhaps untintentionally the most startling poweful arguement for the use of the atomic bomb. Granted, maybe the only time in history.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote: View Post
A strong connection to someone I never knew personally, is a fantasy at best. That is not to say that I don't feel connected to his mission; I do, and have felt it an honor to be in the role of an aikido missionary. I hope this poll will give everyone good reflections.

In gassho

Mark
Yes, but W.W.O.S.D.? (What Would O Sensei Do?)

Seriously, I concur with Mark. I never met the man, but I feel VERY connected to his legacy. I don't know how/if I'll answer this one.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:24 AM   #9
robert weatherall
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Nocquet
United Kingdom

I'm lucky enough to have a good linaeage:
O'Sensei
Master Andre Nocquet
Sensei John Emmerson
Me

But I was never even alive when O'Sensei was. Although I appreciate what he has given the world I feel no more conenction to him than I do to Henry VIII. He' just an historical figure.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States
Ki Symbol Re: Poll: How strong of a connection do you personally feel to Morihei Ueshiba?

What does this have to do with lineage? Anybody ever played the game "Telephone" or one of it's variations, where a statement gets whispered through a chain of people? The more people are in the chain, the better odds that one of them will convey the message incorrectly. A subtle miscommunication in the beginning leads to completely incoherent conclusion later on. So are we saying that the farther away Aikido gets from O'Sensei, the more it suffers? Or that, "it's just a matter of time before somebody screws up the teachings and everyone is screwed forever and ever amen"? Maybe, if this was about a specific set of techniques, but it isn't. Its about an applied principle and a specific value system. IMO, the techniques seem very intuitive once you are grasping the principle. I feel more personally connected to O'Sensei, than I do to my own relatives from 200 years ago. Why? Because I feel that I understand what O'Sensei was heading towards, I understand and share much (of what I can understand) of his vision. I relate. I can't say the same about my own ancestors, I don't even know most of their names, much less whether or not I would have agreed with their philosophy on life and existence. So, regardless of pedigree... Very Connected.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 10-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #11
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States

P.S. - It almost seems like the question that is being answered is along the lines of:

"How important is it to you that you can directly trace the lineage of the Aikido you are practicing back to O'Sensei?"

Which is a fine question I suppose. But not, as I understand it, the one being posed.

W.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 10-10-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Not at all,

Then again, my lineage is to Minoro Hirai Sensei who founded Korindo Aikido and not to Ueshiba.

Amir
Old 10-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #13
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel

two things make me feel connected to him: His life long dedication to the pursuit of martial arts, and his ability to transcend the heritage of what he dedicated his life to, by applying the destructive knowledge of martial arts to constructive purposes.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #14
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

As suggested in some of the previous posts, the question should be divided into "Feel connected to the man and his philosophies", and "happy I can link myself to the linage cart".

I'm glad he founded the art -I like the art - I also like the missing components of aiki-juijitsu that modern aiki tends to lack. I'm glad, for lineage purposes,that I can trace what I've learned back to the founder. But that's only for the amusement of those who are more interested with lineage than with shu ha ri.

Shannon

Old 10-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #15
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
But that's only for the amusement of those who are more interested with lineage than with shu ha ri.
I'm a little confused...why does one have to be more interested in one than the other? Each has it's own import, and they can be viewed seperately or together. One does not exclude the other. Perhaps I am reading something in where there is nothing...
Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #16
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

In my opinion, one of the problems with Aikido as it is evolving is the loss of connection with it's Founder. People have only the sketchiest knowledge of what he was about. Aikikai Headquarters is not inclined to change that.

My own training under Saotome Sensei was quite different... O-Sensei was a daily part of my practice in that Saotome Sensei talked of him constantly. The lessons which O-Sensei personally provided my teacher were passed on to us, often in stories recounted after class over a beer or two. O-Sensei wasn't some remote figure, he is literally my Aikido Grandfather.

I had many years of training with Mary Heiny Sensei as well. O-Sensei's spirit as passed to her by Hikitsuchi Sensei was a daily part of our training. His memory was alive in the dojo. The connection has been kept vibrant by Hikitsuchi Sensei's student Anno Sensei with whom Mary and her top students have had a strong relationship.

I personally have little or no interest in an Aikido in which O-Sensei's dreams for the art play no important part. Saotome Sensei has been adamant, since day one, that we are part of a transmission from O-Sensei to him and from him to his deshi, of which I am one. For me, the art without that connection would be just another style of jiu jutsu and the most interesting one at that.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 10-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #17
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

So many lines to read - no need to focus between them. Good aikido is good aikido.

IMHO

Shannon

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
I'm a little confused...why does one have to be more interested in one than the other? Each has it's own import, and they can be viewed separately or together. One does not exclude the other. Perhaps I am reading something in where there is nothing...
Best,
Ron

Old 10-13-2007, 04:48 AM   #18
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
In my opinion, one of the problems with Aikido as it is evolving is the loss of connection with it's Founder. People have only the sketchiest knowledge of what he was about. Aikikai Headquarters is not inclined to change that.
Hello George,

I am not sure whether I agree with you there. Certainly, knowledge of the Founder is very sketchy outside Japan. However, the present Doshu has republished his father's biography of the Founder (which is now being translated), has published a collection of the Founder's articles in the Aikido Shimbun. His father's autobiography is still in print, and the bi-annual Aikido Tankyu regularly contains articles about the Founder. I do not think you can blame the Aikikai for the fact that this is all in Japoanese and has not been translated.

The IAF will hold its 10th Congress in Tanabe, the birthplace of Morihei Ueshiba. We preferred Tokyo, but the City of Tanabe approached the IAF via the Aikikai Hombu, to ask us to consider holding the Congress as a kind of memorial to O Sensei. When I met Doshu recently, he stressed that a large international aikido gathering in the birthplace of the Founder would be a very good way of keeping alive the Founder's memory.

I myself never met the Founder, but I have read everything that he wrote and so, for me, this congress will be a kind of pilgrimage.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 11-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #19
Matt Reischer

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Very strong.
Direct lineage.
Proud of it.
Very strong.