Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-02-2002, 12:37 PM   #1
jaxonbrown
Internal pain when taking a fall

I usually eat before going to class since class starts at 7:30pm. More often than not, I get gas that I hold in so that I won't disrupt/disrespect the other students. Sometimes I take a fall with a gut full of gas and some medium amount of pain erupts as it moves around. Between lessons, I try to go somewhere to eliminate it out of courtesy. I was wondering if there could be any long-term damage I am doing to myself by taking falls and not letting it run it's course.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:15 PM   #2
daedalus
Dojo: Seiryukan Dojo/Illini Aikido
Talking

Heh. Let it out, and use it as atemi. Very affective atemi.

Brian
--
http://www.shinjinkai.org/
Old 05-02-2002, 08:18 PM   #3
shihonage
United_States
You should eat 2 hours, or more, before the class actually starts.

Problem solved.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:29 PM   #4
Edward
Thailand
Actually, holding gas in might help give you a bigger Ki
Old 05-02-2002, 10:50 PM   #5
Amendes
I don't eat anything that gives me gas before class.

However if it comes to the point where I feel its coming out I always have a package of gaviscon in my Aikido bag, so I know it won't ale me. Oh the gaviscon has done its trick.

:-P
Old 05-02-2002, 11:23 PM   #6
JohnH
Dojo: SWT Aikido Club; SJC Aikido Club
I never had gas in class, but my class time does conflict with my normal eating time. I just eat a small snack to tide me over then I eat afterwards. I know that that can't work with every schedule, but I thought I would offer my two cents.
Old 05-04-2002, 11:47 PM   #7
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Burping is rude, but flatulence is natural. Go with it...

I share the same problem as you in that I need a couple of hours to digest my food properly. Training earlier then that will cause some discomfort ranging from your flatulence problem to real pain and rolling in the stomach.

My solution... eat two hours or earlier before training, or eat afterwards. If normal ppl can fast the whole day without dying, a couple of hours training before dinner won't kill you either.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:06 PM   #8
warriorwoman
internal pain when taking a fall

Flatulence and burping could possibly be viewed within a cultural context. I think if you are in a culture that frowns upon passing gas, then you should probably follow the norms of that culture. On the other hand, if one passes gas accidently, people are adult enough to deal with that without making a big deal about it.

I do believe that you could be causing some type of injury to yourself by tensing your abdominal muscles, however, especially when you take ukemi and that is my concern. I would suggest that you follow the advice previously given that you should either not eat, or if you must, then have something very light (like a BLT sandwich) to tide you over and even then not right before class.
janet dtantirojanarat
www.warriorwoman.org

janet dtantirojanarat
www.warriorwoman.org
Old 05-13-2002, 06:24 AM   #9
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Distress?

There are a few remedys for gas distress ..

one of the oldest is a pill called

Beano.

Yep.

Beano.

Unless you change what you eat, or eat after class, sooner or later someone is going to say something, despite the benefits of gas to put off your training partner, you might soon be asked to leave the room.

"Nobody wants to play with me ...."

Go check with you local pharmacy, I am sure there is something simular in the store.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:12 AM   #10
jaxonbrown
Re: Distress?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Baker
*snip*
Beano.
I've tried it. For some reason, it makes you keep the gas inside you rather than letting you expel it. Good for long meetings, not good for rolling out of technique. It actually causes more gas to accumulate thus causing more pain. The pain isn't so bad I'm just wondering if there's any long-term damage being done to my plumbing if I keep taking painful falls.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:41 PM   #11
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Too much captain ...

I didn't want to say it, but ...

"... I can't do it captain, the pressure! the Pressure is too much! It's gonna blow!"

Seriously though, I know my body went through changes as to different types of food affecting intestinal distress.

Lately, the pepcid AC has been the gas/acid reliever, alone with not eating a meal before class, just a lite snack two hours before.

If the gas keeps up, I think the polite thing to do is a very strong air freshner, or for real, go see a your doctor about it.

It ain't fun to get a gas cramp with a muscle cramp in practice. Really, go see your doctor ... and a little research on the internet wouldn't hurt either. You might find the foods you are eating are not agreeing with your digestive system?
Old 05-14-2002, 05:56 PM   #12
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by Amendes
I don't eat anything that gives me gas before class.
So what happens when you don't eat before class?
Old 05-14-2002, 08:56 PM   #13
guest1234
Eating at least two hours before class will make sure your stomach empties, so that will help gas in the stomach, or if you get reflux (esp. with all that rolling). But it won't necessarily do anything for gas in the intestine.

Things that might help that: avoid gas producing foods (esp for meals earlier in the day)---for most folks this is beans, onions, cabbage, cucumbers, melon, often milk. Also, gulping your meal, or talking and eating, may cause you to swallow air, increasing the gas problems. Solution? Eat like Mom always told you to, slowly and chewing carefully, and without a lot of talking at the table.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:01 AM   #14
computerdog
Dojo: Shu Shin Kan
I have had students that reported this 'problem'. What we found was that these students most of the time had a bad food choise. Look into it and try to eat avoid fat and fastfood. I am pretty sure that this is where the problem lies. I have to eat 30 minutes before training while I drive to class. Therefore it is important that I do not any fastfood.... (even though I eat it fast )