Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
iplan

Dojo: Aikido Academy of Self Defense
United_States
Intriguing gun defenses on YouTube

A few months ago, I saw the most intriguing youtube video on gun defenses ~ and now I can not find it.

The particular video demonstrated how to use aikido techniques to keep from having your gun taken away from you.

In other words, the good guy had the gun, and the bad guy was trying to disarm him.

The techniques used were simple tenkan movements, nikkyo, ikkyo, iriminage, kokyunage, etc.

I have searched and searched without finding it ~ any assistance would be appreciated!

best,
iplan

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we're going to be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be." Kevin Higgins
Old 07-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
iplan

Dojo: Aikido Academy of Self Defense
United_States
Re: Intriguing gun defenses on youtube~~~~

I found it ~~~

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q89PMSAwbE8

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we're going to be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be." Kevin Higgins
Old 07-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States

http://john-hillson.blogspot.com/201...anto-nage.html

Maybe the one clip on handgun retention here? I assume all our Jo Nage practices had a background in rifle retention. There was a book on police Aikido that had a demo of kubishime attacks with the wrist being held while Nage was removing the pistol from the holster.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:14 PM   #4
jurasketu
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

James Williams does weapon retention.

http://www.systemofstrategy.com/

All paths lead to death. I strongly recommend taking one of the scenic routes.
AWA - Nidan - Started Aikido training in 2008
Old 07-31-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Here's one method, by Bob Koga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCXGslNmd9E

Gambarimashyo!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #6
jurasketu
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

Sometimes for fun I teach weapon retention exercises since it is a natural extension of wrist grabs. Just give it a try with a tanto or a baton. Be careful - weapon amplified techniques can deliver serious pain.

All paths lead to death. I strongly recommend taking one of the scenic routes.
AWA - Nidan - Started Aikido training in 2008
Old 08-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
ninjedi

United_States

Lots of stuff on weapon retention can be traced back to samurai using similar techniques to keep others from pulling/drawing/taking their sword or wakizashi. Seems almost more common (and rightly so) to teach weapon retention rather than gun disarms in the dojo.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:13 PM   #8
genego
United_States
Re: Intriguing gun defenses on YouTube

As a retired police officer with 30 years experience, (and 35 years Aikido practice), I can't help but think that my firearms instructors would have lost it watching someone waving their gun around one handed. Having made an arrest or two over the years, I cannot remember every holding someone at gunpoint while holding the firearm extended at arms length in one hand. That is just begging for a person to attempt a gun grab.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:22 AM   #9
rugwithlegs
United_States

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bWsz7u4eN8I

Yeah, there is some goofy fun stuff out there. With all of the non-empty hand stuff, important not to let Hollywood set the standard. I imagine the best retention strategies involve prevention - control Maai and keep aware.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #10
dps

Quote:
Benny Goolsby wrote: View Post
As a retired police officer with 30 years experience, (and 35 years Aikido practice), I can't help but think that my firearms instructors would have lost it watching someone waving their gun around one handed. Having made an arrest or two over the years, I cannot remember every holding someone at gunpoint while holding the firearm extended at arms length in one hand. That is just begging for a person to attempt a gun grab.
Instead of "grab my wrist " its grab my gun".
Old 09-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #11
ninjedi

United_States

Quote:
Benny Goolsby wrote: View Post
Right -- which is why weapons retention is arguably more important to learn as opposed to gun disarms.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #12
rugwithlegs
United_States

Quote:
Josh Brown wrote: View Post
Right -- which is why weapons retention is arguably more important to learn as opposed to gun disarms.
The blog entry I had above, I was talking about some of the Tomiki practices like Tanto Kaeshiwaza waza and Tanto Nage. I don't do this much, but if a student always obsesses about grabbing rather than cutting I'll pull out stuff for them to hold. Gun retention is useful for a small subset. The forests surrounding our university if you don't keep your cell phone, you cannot phone for help. Lose your keys, long way home and you cannot use your car. I'll hand out small whatever's for students to hold on to, sometimes an object to protect and sometimes an object that could be used as a weapon.

Kisshomaru Doshu had written that Aikido practice included Nage with a knife, uke with a knife, and both uke and Nage with knives. I've never seen it.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:29 AM   #13
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

It's interesting to note that everyone contributing to this thread so far is in the USA. I wonder why?

Alex
Old 09-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #14
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa

Because everyone else in the world lost their gun rights to totalitarian governments?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #15
rugwithlegs
United_States

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
It's interesting to note that everyone contributing to this thread so far is in the USA. I wonder why?

Alex
Canadian living in the USA. Point made, but this is a cool practice if you just approach it as not having an empty hand. The second Doshu wrote about Tanto Nage, or Tanto on Tanto as part of Aikido practice. When I worked corrections, I had a radio and keys. I work in hospitals, and I have medications or equipment. Have fun, and make it about more than guns. The practice can apply anywhere if you don't just make it "pull the trigger." In Budo, O Sensei refers to the demonstrated Tanto dori as also techniques against pistols, and jo Dori as against rifles - so maybe on Japanese source on the subject?
Old 09-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #16
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

I agree that dealing with someone attempting to take something valuable from your hands is useful and revealing - as you say, think of a wallet or a camera instead. I can't say I have ever worked on this in an aikido class, apart from some jo-dori and batto-ho, so this discussion is interesting, despite the "gun thing".

Alex
Old 09-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #17
ninjedi

United_States

Quote:
John Hillson wrote: View Post
Kisshomaru Doshu had written that Aikido practice included Nage with a knife, uke with a knife, and both uke and Nage with knives. I've never seen it.
Yoshokai style has plenty of this.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #18
rugwithlegs
United_States

Quote:
Josh Brown wrote: View Post
Yoshokai style has plenty of this.
Thanks Josh.

Any clips you recommend of Yoshokai knife retention? Retention of other objects would presumably translate.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #19
ninjedi

United_States

Sorry, I meant Yoshokai has several tanto vs tanto techniques, not specifically having to do with retention. The weapons retention stuff I know was gleaned form my Bujinkan days (Takagi Yoshin, if I recall correctly). We started by learning sword retention, then knife, then concluded with how all that can still be applied to modern-day handgun retention.