Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #26
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: The internet phenomenon and its affect on aikido

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
George,
You speak as if this internet discourse is serious stuff.

Ricky, (the fool known worldwide)
Hello Ricky,

If it weren't for the smiley , I'd have thought you were being serious.

Over on E-Budo there is a lawsuit in progress, brought against E-Budo by a certain martial arts school. Accordingly, the discussion concerning this school is off public limits and is open only to admin and moderators.

With this in mind I have been following the discussion about Clint George with some interest and am curious whether Jun has pondered any legal issues involved, especially if Mr George is found to be innocent of the charges brought.

As George Ledyard stated, the Internet is a double-edged sword, especially Internet discussion forums. There, those who are Lost in Space (who need special attention) are joined by others who think they are very firmly on the ground and are ready to sue (and who need very special attention).

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
Old 05-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #27
tuturuhan
United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Ricky,

With this in mind I have been following the discussion about Clint George with some interest and am curious whether Jun has pondered any legal issues involved, especially if Mr George is found to be innocent of the charges brought.

As George Ledyard stated, the Internet is a double-edged sword, especially Internet discussion forums. There, those who are Lost in Space (who need special attention) are joined by others who think they are very firmly on the ground and are ready to sue (and who need very special attention).

Best wishes,
P.A.

Quite interesting...on another board, I mentioned to them that defamation and it effects on "business reputation" and "interfering with business practices" could potentially result in legal action.

It is one thing to be disrespectful and use foul language. It's another thing to affect the business reputation of a martial artist whose income has been lessened by unsubstantiated rumors and lies.

They (the other board) were quite upset with any "talk" of legal actions. Instead, they continued to put their head in the sand. I predict that it will be only a matter of time before we see more of these legal actions.

As a lawyer and forum user, I would not have any desire to file such actions. I prefer the unfettered comments of free speech. But, this is quite interesting information. We all need to keep aware.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 05-03-2008, 09:00 AM   #28
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
There, those who are Lost in Space (who need special attention) are joined by others who think they are very firmly on the ground and are ready to sue (and who need very special attention).

Best wishes,
And the trick is to figure out which one of those you are, and which one they are.
I like the internet. It gives me more choices. But one must remain cautious.
Personally, I believe the policy that e-budo and aikiweb have, that one must use their real name, brings more sue happy people to the feeding trough. It too seems to be a double edge sword. Most forums are much more anonymous than e-budo and aikiweb. I like the "real name" policy on MA forums as it keeps the noise down and it seems to keep discussions more civil. It also seems to keep discussions a little closer to what they might be "face-to-face." On the flip side, I would suspect that someone who wanted to sue you would not have to go through the legal process of obtaining your real identity since you have already voluntarily provided it. I am guessing that makes the suit process less cumbersome.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:47 PM   #29
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

I can tell you the affect the internet has had on my aikido.

When I first started aikido there was only Aikido-L and AikiWeb (pre-discussion forums). It was AikiWeb that helped me find my current dojo and a Aikido-L that helped me adjust to my new dojo.

Also, I agree there is a lot of information and misinformation out there. I usually take what most say with a grain of salt, but I will file the interesting stuff in the back of my mind to sort through later. Doing this really helped in my training and aikido perspective. First the internet allowed me to realize that my dojo is part of a much greater aikido community and a much greater aikido community outside my own organization.

Also, the internet is probably the only place where I can non-stop talk about aikido with other folks without them thinking I'm a complete geek for talking about aikido non-stop because we are all aikiaddicts. I wouldn't even discuss aikido like this with other people in my own dojo.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 05-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #30
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

I agree entirely. In the dojo, rank and position matters. If your sempai says something stupid, you can think "go suck an egg" but you really shouldn't say it unless you have a very strong relationship with that person. On a forum, everyone gets equal say. If someone says something horrible (even if it seems perfectly normal to them) you can call them on it and discuss it as equals. I get to hear George Ledyard's and Dennis Hooker's perspectives on aikido and ASU issues in general that I never (or extremely rarely) would have had access too otherwise.

Due to the internet, I learned that my idea of cooperative practice was really called "progressive resistance" AND that some other people's idea of competition oriented practice was mostly ALSO "progressive resistance. We met mainly in the middle and just happened to refer to our extremely similar approaches by terms that more favored the polar opposites.

Thanks to the Internet, I learned about some of the more interesting internal training type things that Ikeda sensei had recently been teaching with uke's holding both ends of the jo staff and him touching the middle - and it inspired some good ideas for me to think about in my own training.

-Rob

I found other people who were more like minded and got to better understand people who think remarkably differently,.