Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom
Movement

In some videos of O-Sensei and Shioda I've noticed that he occasionally seems to be very light on his feet and almost skip or jump into techniques. Also I've seen this kind of thing in some koryu arts, especially kenjutsu where some practitioners seem to be exceptionately mobile and almost seem to dance around.

I've tried this out a couple of times in training and it seems to be quite a useful way of moving as it generates a lot of power along side the obviously increased mobility.
However, it doesn't (in my experience) seem to be a common way of moving in Aikido and in fact around here is outright frowned upon.
Does anyone utilise this kind of movement in their Aikido or has anyone got an explination of why this type of movement isn't common?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Movement

Well there is the "Tohei hop" which you still see in some Ki Society flavored dojos...it happens that just last month one of my sensei's senior students used it with me with very interesting effect as I describe here http://zanshinart.blogspot.com/2008/...tohei-hop.html

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
Joseph Madden
Canada

Alex,
What an excellent question. I've been told in the past when I've "hopped" that it was incorrect or rather incorrect for my level (I'm currently a nidan in Yoshinkan). We are constantly told to remain grounded to provide the power necessary to achieve proper technique. With regards to Kancho and his almost balletic spins, I believe it may have to do less with wanting to "hop" as having to, as many of his uke were taller than him, although my teacher, Kimeda sensei, is also shorter than I am and I've never seen him having to rely on "hopping".
Maybe when we achieve a certain level it's allowed, since I've been told that the movements may become tighter as we progress and the pivots shorter which may give the illusion of hopping in some cases.

Osu

Old 04-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
crbateman

The "Tohei hop", as explained to me by one of his most senior direct students, is a way to most efficiently move from certain positions to certain others. One must take care to know when and when not to execute this move, because in some positions it is not an efficient move, and can also commit one to an initial vector, without the ability to change directions or generate grounded power until one has reconnected with the mat. As for exactly how it all works, I cannot say, and suppose that considerable training time in a Ki Society environment would be necessary to fully understand it.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:29 AM   #5
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

While remaining "grounded" is good practice, when I was in Tokyo, we were put through practice on occasion to do taisabaki or irimi tenkan with a hop in the middle

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"