Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-13-2002, 11:56 PM   #1
Bronx2Bama
Dojo: Aikido of Westchester
Evil Eyes Back Injury

I have recently become very interested in training for Aikido, but I recently injured myself while training to row this spring. There is still some pain, and I have lost much of my flexibility. Would starting to find a dojo be a bad idea? How much stress is put on the lower back while training. The uke seems to be where I might run into some problems. I really want to start training. Any advice?
Old 05-14-2002, 12:56 AM   #2
Edward
Thailand
Eventhough aikido involves all kinds of falls, rolls...etc. I am not aware of any back injuries caused by this. The most common injury from ukemi is at the shoulder level.

Anyhow, you can practice aikido at any pace that is comfortable for you, and it is not uncommon for us to practice even when we are seriously injured.

Obviously telling the teacher about the injury is essential as well as taking some basic precautions. There should be no problem, I guess.

As for the stress on the lower back, it seems to me that at the countrary, tori has more stress in this area for some throwing techniques.
Old 05-14-2002, 01:38 PM   #3
Kat.C
Re: Back Injury

Quote:
Originally posted by Bronx2Bama
I have recently become very interested in training for Aikido, but I recently injured myself while training to row this spring. There is still some pain, and I have lost much of my flexibility. Would starting to find a dojo be a bad idea? How much stress is put on the lower back while training. The uke seems to be where I might run into some problems. I really want to start training. Any advice?
Talk to a Doctor about your back before starting aikido. Also when you visit a dojo talk to the sensei about your back,especially after you know what is wrong with it, he should have an idea if aikido will make it worse or not. Having said that I just went to practice last night after having hurt my back last week (trying to get an uncooperative three year old out of the car) but I think it was just a pulled muscle. Anyways training didn't aggravate it at all, the pain was gone, except for when I rolled wrong on one side, so I just rolled on the other instead.
Hope this helps.

Kat

I find the aquisition of knowledge to be relatively easy, it is the application that is so difficult.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:33 AM   #4
Liz Baron
Dojo: Bury Aikido Club
United Kingdom
I must agree with Kat. Talk to your Doctor about your injury, and highlight the kind of exercises that Aikido has. I have a lower back injury which I have carried for a long time. It can affect quite a lot of my movement, especially lifting, which is what caused it in the first place. One of the bonuses I found with Aikido (and a reason I started) was that the warm up exercises matched well with the physical therapy regime I'm supposed to do every day for my back.

In general, Aikido has been kind to me, but there are some things that give me problems: When I was introduced to koshi nage my sensei took me to one side and personally walked me through the technique to see if it presented any problems, which it did. Until I'm stronger, I just have to accept that there are some things I won't be able to do!

Ordinary rolls seem to be ok for me, but so far I'm wary of some of the more energetic ukemi... just a matter of time I guess!

Liz

L

Windcheetah 176
"Handbuilt by Daleks..."
Old 05-15-2002, 12:14 PM   #5
SeiserL

United_States
Oh my aching back

IMHO, get a good MRI aaand X-ray done on your back to get the proper orthopedic diagnosis. Do a web search for physical therapy sites and do the lumbar stabilization exercises. Find a good dojo and watch them train. When starting always warm up first and sty relaxed when learning to fall.

Many of us (I have four disk bulges in the lumbar area that actually had begun to pinch the spin off) have bad backs and still train.

Good luck. Welcome to origami with people and learning to blend and become one with the mat.

Until again,

Lynn (51)
Nidan Tenshinkai Aikido
Lucaylucay Kali JKD

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!