Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Belt_Up
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Nocquet
United Kingdom
Taiji - some rather fine diagrams.

I've rarely seen stuff like this.

http://brisbanechentaichi.weebly.com...knowledge.html
Old 11-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Taiji - some rather fine diagrams.

Hmm?

I'm kind of surprised that this post got no replies.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 11-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
Belt_Up
United Kingdom

I'm not. Threads in this section of the forums either do extremely well, or, er, not. I hope the link is helpful to whoever sees it anyway! It's really good to see things like this openly available.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
I'm kind of surprised that this post got no replies.
What do you think could/should be discussed? Did you find something special wrong/new/different ... that should be adressed?
Old 11-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Belt_Up
United Kingdom

Well it doesn't appear to be doing too badly on r/aikido.

Such clear, concise explanation of body mechanics and physical principles that are common to taiji and aikido is very new to me. Quite often, I have had to rely on complex, imprecise instructions. These diagrams, shorn of a lot of the cultural trappings (Japanese or Chinese) are easier to understand, and should be widely disseminated.

They may be old hat to those more experienced, I don't know. To relative and actual beginners, however, they will come in much more useful than a long-winded explanation, or outright dissembling.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Ah, ok. Yes you are right: Even if it's not new, those diagramms are indeed very interesting and helpfull.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Stephen Nichol
Dojo: Aikilife, Canberra
Australia

Quote:
Geoff Byers wrote: View Post
Well it doesn't appear to be doing too badly on r/aikido.

Such clear, concise explanation of body mechanics and physical principles that are common to taiji and aikido is very new to me. Quite often, I have had to rely on complex, imprecise instructions. These diagrams, shorn of a lot of the cultural trappings (Japanese or Chinese) are easier to understand, and should be widely disseminated.

They may be old hat to those more experienced, I don't know. To relative and actual beginners, however, they will come in much more useful than a long-winded explanation, or outright dissembling.
+ 1 for me on this.

This explanation along with the exercise set from the Aunkai DVDs are very useful. They help one be more aware of what they are doing when both observing the movement inside the 'techniques' of Aikido and what to be mindful of when doing those movements yourself.

So big thank you for find this and linking it here.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
Belt_Up
United Kingdom

You're welcome, please continue to pass it on.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
PaulF
United Kingdom

Yep good stuff Geoff, thanks
Old 11-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
Michael Varin
United_States

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
What do you think could/should be discussed? Did you find something special wrong/new/different ... that should be adressed?
What makes anyone reply to any thread?

I thought the drawings were very well done. The author/artist obviously put a considerable amount of thought and effort into the drawings. And they seem to communicate something the author/artist felt was important, and also something that many here have struggled to express with words.

In the past, this sort of thing has drawn a lot of commentary. I don't really care one way or the other. I was just surprised that nothing was said about the content of the drawings.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 11-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #11
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Quote:
In the past, this sort of thing has drawn a lot of commentary.
Oh, I wasn't aware of that.

Quote:
I was just surprised that nothing was said about the content of the drawings.
Indeed I think they very well done and express a lot of experience. I myself read a lot of books about qi gong /taiji quan and relatet stuff. So I am used to things being explained by such drawings. And also I did not find some controversial stuff in those drawings but only basics.

So not realizing that there had been discussions about similar drawnings in the past, I wondered what your question was about.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #12
Michael Varin
United_States

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Oh, I wasn't aware of that.

Indeed I think they very well done and express a lot of experience. I myself read a lot of books about qi gong /taiji quan and relatet stuff. So I am used to things being explained by such drawings. And also I did not find some controversial stuff in those drawings but only basics.

So not realizing that there had been discussions about similar drawnings in the past, I wondered what your question was about.
Come on. You've been around long enough. You don't remember Mike Sigman's lines that were drawn over Tohei that wasn't actually Tohei, or Eric Mead's advanced engineering diagrams, or any of Chris Hein's representations of alignment? None of which had the artistic detail of the drawings that were the subject of this thread.

Really, I'm not requesting further discussion. Just wondering why it didn't occur.

-Michael
Old 11-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Come on. You've been around long enough. You don't remember Mike Sigman's lines that were drawn over Tohei that wasn't actually Tohei, or Eric Mead's advanced engineering diagrams, or any of Chris Hein's representations of alignment? None of which had the artistic detail of the drawings that were the subject of this thread.

Really, I'm not requesting further discussion. Just wondering why it didn't occur.
Because in the very same way so many experienced people stopped posting due to comments by the barrage of comments by over-enthusiastic IP enthusiasts, now it seems it is impossible to have a discussion about some things without the over-enthusiastic non-IP enthusiasts grasping at straws sticking out of the very tired and worn out straw man.

I know quite a few folk, instructors themselves, high ranking, many quite well known who rarely post any longer. Because it's the same dynamic, just the other side of it. (And no, I'm not trying to use argument from authority, there are likely just as many if not more disgusted high quality/high ranking folk not posting for the exact opposite reason.) These are the people (from both sides generally) who get together and answer the questions on the mat because discussing it here is simply too painful when you have to deal with the arm chair occupying demands from way off in the cheap seats.

FWIW I had a long and very detailed discussion with a couple folk I train with on these drawings as I forwarded the website to them. Yes, they are lovely drawings and they do illustrate aspects of things some of us are working on. Do I have anything more to say about it here?

Nope.

I've been in the martial arts (with a few breaks) basically all my life starting from childhood. I'm over 50 now and I quite frankly have long lost the desire to placate the skepticism of others on an on-line forum. It is too difficult to have these discussions here. And I'll say I've *never* had a bad experience simply getting together with fellow martial artists including the sincere folk who doubt. It was great seeing William Hazen (sorry to drop your name, dude) at a recent seminar. We got to "hold hands" a few times in that seminar. Big, strong, powerful man that I would in no way want to tussle with. And to his immense credit you could damned near see the light bulb light up over his head. I gained tremendous respect for him that Saturday morning. A lifetime of training and he walks in to put it on the line and see what's going on. But I also sincerely doubt he feels he's wasted time, or that his training was a waste in any way, shape or form. I would guess his reaction was much like mine -- Cool, more stuff I can work on to get better. Which is what drives an awful lot of folk who get good at this stuff, neh? It ain't the confirmation, it ain't the "winning", it's about having more to explore, more nuance, more things to try...

Yeah, maybe it's not the "real thing" and maybe it's not "real that" or maybe it's not "this" but really "that". Don't give a damn about those things really. To me it's simply more good stuff that I find feeding in to most everything I have learned over these decades, including stuff that has nothing at all to do with Aikido. Just good martial practice.

No, not much discussion. Because if you do take the longer view looking back over the discussions, really, the discussion has been going on for a really long time. So please feel free to continue talking. Just understand that there are a whole lot of people who likely still just read along, get annoyed, think of posting then remind themselves of the Heinlein quote "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." And before anyone gets their fundoshi in a knot, no, I'm not comparing anyone to pigs. Wonderful, intelligent creatures and their smoked bits are fantastic. They're just not big on singing. I get that.

So I guess I could have summarized this entire post thus... Damatte keikoshiro. Now to act on that very thing... EOM.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

It's a nice link to explaining the basics of what's going on. It's also somewhat indicative of the tremendous amount of work required to get your foot in the door of doing anything even approaching 6 harmonies type of activity. Nothing else to discuss, argue or evangelize here.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
Belt_Up
United Kingdom

Quote:
These are the people (from both sides generally) who get together and answer the questions on the mat because discussing it here is simply too painful when you have to deal with the arm chair occupying demands from way off in the cheap seats.
Do you have to respond to them or even acknowledge them? If they're anti-IP, and we know IP is a thing (or a good chunk of our community is totally deluded), then why bother to even talk to them? I appreciate the process of discussion on aikiweb and forums in general can be very wearing (hence the opening of a section here to explicitly discuss IP, I suppose) but I posted these diagrams thinking they would assist the visualisation process (and possibly understanding) for people who viewed them, without any thought to another round of Yes-it-does/No-it-doesn't on IP. I didn't even think they could be debated on such terms (more the fool I!), I thought of them merely in connection with good practice and what your average aikidoka is trying to do, and I've never had any personal experience of IP.