Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Donations for O Sensei statue?

Hi,

There's been some debate* lately in spanish aikido forums about the Aikikai Foundation asking for donations to build a big bronze statue of O Sensei in Iwama.

The Aikikai Foundation is asking for a 3000 yen per individual (of course voluntary) donation to be made before 25 March 2009 so the statue can be ready for the 40 anniversary of the founder's passing ceremony.

I'd like to know how is the fund raising going in your countries and what are the opinions of aikido practitiones around.

*For what i'm reading these days, lots of people thinks this is not a very good idea: with world's financial crisis it seems this is not the best moment to spent money in statues.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States
Re: Donations for O Sensei statue?

Maybe the fundraising is mostly going on among the Iwama folks, but this is the first I've heard of it. Of course, I may not be well informed. In any event, there is a big bronze statue of O'Sensei in Tanabe, where he was born.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Hi,

The Aikikai Foundation is asking for a 3000 yen per individual (of course voluntary) donation to be made before 25 March 2009 so the statue can be ready for the 40 anniversary of the founder's passing ceremony.
Hello,

Where is this information? It does not appear on the website of the Aikikai Foundation.

Hiroshi Osoyama made a verbal announcement at the end of the IAF Congress in Tanabe, last year, but there was no time limit mentioned nor any mention of an amount.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Prof. Goldsbury,

This information has been published both in spanish forums, for instance in Aikiforum.com, and in aikido dojo websites like this one: Aikido club Amagoia.

Here is the google automatic "translation" for the announcement found in the Aikido Club Amagoia website:

Quote:
Sculpture of O Sensei in Iwama.

Coinciding with the fortieth anniversary of the death of the founder of aikido, Morihei Ueshiba, is to erect a large sculpture representing his figure in bronze at the shrine of Iwama in Ibaraki.
This sculpture will be funded with voluntary contributions from aikidokas worldwide. The single share that has established for this purpose Aikikai is 3,000 yen, which at the current exchange rate is about 25 euros. AEA (Association of Cultural Aikikai Spain, led by maestro Kitaura Yasunari) will be responsible for collecting input from those who want to contribute and send this money to Aikikai in Tokyo.
This has put at your disposal the following account of BBVA: AEA 0182 4072 66 0201 5204 43 you must specify the income concept Iwama Sculpture "and carried out before March 25.
I think this is more or less intelligible but if you need a better translation I'll give a try.

Regards.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Hello Demetrio,

I studied Latin for many more years than I care to admit, so reading Spanish and Italian is not so difficult.

I am aware that advertisements have appeared in the Japanese Aikido Shimbun, the Aikikai's newspaper, but I do not remember seeing any specific amount, or a payment deadline. Japan's economy is suffering, also, and it is fairly commonly accepted in the dojos around here that it will take a long time to reach the target.

Well, of course, people can pay what they wish, but if it were so important to obtain donations from overseas Aikikai members, it might have been better to publicize it on the Aikikai's website--in English, rather than in Japanese in a newspaper that very few people read overseas. Perhaps this is an 'initiative' from Kitaura Shihan.

Best wishes,

PAG

Quote:
Prof. Goldsbury,

This information has been published both in spanish forums, for instance in Aikiforum.com, and in aikido dojo websites like this one: Aikido club Amagoia.

Here is the google automatic "translation" for the announcement found in the Aikido Club Amagoia website:

I think this is more or less intelligible but if you need a better translation I'll give a try.

Regards.

P A Goldsbury
Old 03-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

For those who can read Spanish, there is a similar discussion here.

The general feeling is that there are better things to do with that money than erecting a bronze statue of the Founder on his 40th anniversary, specially in these times of crisis.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post

The general feeling is that there are better things to do .......
I couldn't agree more.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 03-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Prof. Goldsbury,

Regards.
Here's the original letter signed by Tada shihan:

David Y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Founder's_Statue.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	573  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 英文銅像寄付.pdf (529.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Hello David,

Yes. Since my last post I have seen the latest edition of the Aikido Shimbun and have noted the total amount requested and the individual amounts requested. So it clearly was not an initiative of Kitaura Shihan, in Spain.

At the last IAF Congress, Isoyama Shihan announced the project, but I have not seen any letter in Japanese, addressed to individual dojos in Japan, like mine. Perhaps the announcement in the newspaper was considered sufficient.

What more can I say? There is a statue of O Sensei near the sea in Tanabe and it is a popular place for aikido visitors to take their photographs. On the other hand, some of us believe that the money would be better spent on some kind of support scheme to help the development of aikido in poorer countries, or those countries in the center of local war zones. After all, aikido is all about peace, and especially about not about winning and losing, right?

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury