Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Seminar in Honolulu with Dan Harden - July 1st - 4th 2011

Budo training and barbecue on the beach for the 4th of July! Dan has tentatively scheduled his 3rd Hawaii workshop for July 1st-4th 2011.

Exact schedule and details TBA, watch the Aikido Hawaii website for news, information and updates:

http://www.aikidohawaii.org/whats_new.html

Hope to see you all there!

Best,

Chris

Old 05-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Chris Li

United_States
Dan Harden in Hawaii July 4th - Head Count

I'd like to get a head count for the July workshop below with Dan Harden.

Please contact me if you are interested, and I will contact you when the registration forms are ready.

Our last workshop was full to capacity, so we may not be able to accommodate everybody.

Hope to see you there!

Chris

------------------------------------------------------------

"Internal training, Aiki, and empowering Aikido" - 3rd Hawaii Workshop

Date: July 2nd-4th (Saturday, Sunday, Monday) 2011
*Other details TBA

See http://aikidohawaii.org/whats_new.html for news, information and updates.

This workshop is a continuation of the workshops held here in Hawaii and on the mainland with advanced level aikido students and teachers from all over the United States. Dan is making his research into the Japanese arts and the resultant training practices of his private dojo available on a national level. The goal is to offer a workshop in a neutral environment, with an emphasis on learning and understanding internal power and aiki as a basis for martial movement in a global sense, while undertaking the difficult task of taking that first step into personal training and integration of the concepts into your own art.

The work shop will review and expand the principles of the system Dan has developed and taught successfully to hundreds of students and teachers from a wide range of martial arts. Dan will outline the training in such a way as to make the relevancy to martial movement immediate, clear and accessible. Included will be:

-> A presentation of how the martial arts take advantage of natural and common postural failures and methods for building a martial body that moves antithetical to the principles most martial arts use as their foundation for defeating the common body frame.

-> How the trained body can begin to take care of itself automatically in a live environment.

-> An emphasis on specific training tools (solo and paired) to develop internal power, and specifically how it relates to aiki connections in a martial context.

-> Creating and maintaining a structure supported on all sides and how to strengthen it with breath training exercises.

The material covered; while benefiting aikido greatly will not be "specific" to just the aiki arts like Aikido and Daito ryu, but any grappling or striking art, so teachers from other disciplines are welcome.

Dress will be sweats or shorts and T-shirts. No Gis, No budo affiliated T-shirts please. This will be very informal, and casual, but I strongly urge you to bring a notebook.

This will be a closed workshop with no pictures, video, or visitors allowed. People may or may not be accepted by Dan's sole discretion. Preference will be given to those who have attended previous workshops.

Seminar fee is not yet set, but will probably be in the $175 range. It will be a flat fee for the entire workshop (no partial attendance or single days).

Payment in full is required to register and reserve a place for the event. There is no registration at the door.

Thanks..see you there.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
Chris Li

United_States
Re: Seminar in Honolulu with Dan Harden - July 1st - 4th 2011

Registration forms for the Dan Harden July workshop are now available (apparently Dan's started moving on Hawaii time too ). There are only a couple of spaces left, so contact me ASAP if you are interested.

Chris

Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
DH
United_States

Hi Chris
Sorry, May took the stuffing out of me, I was barely home three days and...swoop off to another seminar. I won't do that to myself again!!
Payment and applications are coming in virtually overnight.

This will actually be four days of my time Friday evening, Saturday, Sunday and Monday for the price of two!! I will also be staying a full week, and I will offer nights on the beach to train for free...donations, dinner, something!!! gladly accepted
Plus there is some talk of a beach party on Monday I hear!!
All other days are my own. Max has me snorkling and learning to deep dive. Actually, I think he just enjoys watching me suck and struggle and look like a drowned rat!! I need to practice. Lets see, snorkling the hot spots, with boats dropping off dozens of women in bikinis every half hour while I train...sucks to be me!!
Hope to see ya there
Dan
Old 06-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

Go FISHING !!!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
Go FISHING !!!
Geez Howard, you really do have a one track mind

I am with Dan on the snorkeling and bikinis

Greg
Old 06-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
DH
United_States

Ahhh..how about all in one?
Snorkling and spear fishing this time!!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Ahhh..how about all in one?
Snorkling and spear fishing this time!!
Careful with that spear, those weapons are dangerous things - don't want to hurt yourself

My favorite pastime when the ship pulled into Pearl was sitting in Harry's Underwater Bar - there you could sit, drink, AND watch all the bikinis in the hotel pool with a wet underneath view of course sometimes you would get a 'whale' in a one-piece view, but that just made you drink more

Greg
Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
DH
United_States

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Careful with that spear, those weapons are dangerous things - don't want to hurt yourself

My favorite pastime when the ship pulled into Pearl was sitting in Harry's Underwater Bar - there you could sit, drink, AND watch all the bikinis in the hotel pool with a wet underneath view of course sometimes you would get a 'whale' in a one-piece view, but that just made you drink more

Greg
Budo humility warning...wait till the end

So my kid grows up with my weapon accidents. I make forge own machetes and weapons.
1. Buffing a horn bowie handle and it catches in the buffer, spinning out and breaking my thumb and almost severing it. Surgery and down time.
2. Clearing the field of old mountain laurel (like iron wood) with my machetes. Machete bounces off of trunk and hits my leg-severes through 7/8 of my thigh muscle at the knee. Surgery down time.
3. Pruning a dogwood while up in the tree. I get hit by hornets- 22 stings. I fall out of the tree and desperately grab for a limb. I catch what I think is a limb and squeeze really hard. The limb...is the machete blade! It severes my thumb (same one as the bowie accident!!), slices off half of my finger vertically, (you could see the bone and tendons) and slices open all the other fingers to one degree or the other. I go in the house to my ER trained NP wife. She freaks!! Not because of the cuts, but my face and chest are all swollen from the stings. She is afraid of anaphylactic shock, I am afraid because I can't find the other half of my finger!! Ambulance comes, I won't leave till I find it. Finally....I lift the machete, it is glued to the other side. Off to hospital. Surgery and down time.

So....My kid says to everyone at a party when he is older. "I'm never afraid to face my father with weapons. I just stand back and wait for him to hurt himself!!"

The deepest...cut of all!!

Ya gotta love it.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 06-09-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
gregstec
United_States

Quote:

So my kid grows up with my weapon accidents. I make forge own machetes and weapons.
1. Buffing a horn bowie handle and it catches in the buffer, spinning out and breaking my thumb and almost severing it. Surgery and down time.
2. Clearing the field of old mountain laurel (like iron wood) with my machetes. Machete bounces off of trunk and hits my leg-severes through 7/8 of my thigh muscle at the knee. Surgery down time.
3. Pruning a dogwood while up in the tree. I get hit by hornets- 22 stings. I fall out of the tree and desperately grab for a limb. I catch what I think is a limb and squeeze really hard. The limb...is the machete blade! It severes my thumb (same one as the bowie accident!!), slices off half of my finger vertically, (you could see the bone and tendons) and slices open all the other fingers to one degree or the other. I go in the house to my ER trained NP wife. She freaks!! Not because of the cuts, but my face and chest are all swollen from the stings. She is afraid of anaphylactic shock, I am afraid because I can't find the other half of my finger!! Ambulance comes, I won't leave till I find it. Finally....I lift the machete, it is glued to the other side. Off to hospital. Surgery and down time.

So....My kid says to everyone at a party when he is older. "I'm never afraid to face my father with weapons. I just stand back and wait for him to hurt himself!!"

Ya gotta love it.
Dan
OUCH!!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
Andrew Prochnow
United_States

Quote:

Ya gotta love it.
Dan
HA HA HA!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #12
Janet Rosen

Oh, jeez! Hope you use an electric shaver!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-10-2011, 05:46 AM   #13
Howard Popkin
United_States

I will clean the fish
Old 07-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
Chris Li

United_States

Another great workshop with Dan - less material, but more depth and details this time.

Dan's suffering out at the sandbar today, then extra training at Ala Moana Beach tonight.

Life can be tough when you go to a workshop around here .

Look for the next Hawaii workshop the first weekend in November, November 5th and 6th.

Best,

Chris

Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Look for the next Hawaii workshop the first weekend in November, November 5th and 6th.

Best,

Chris
Hmmm, wife has family in Hilo. And off-season. Might be a good time to visit family and spend a few days myself in Oahu... Now to see if I can talk the wife in to this...

Old 07-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #16
DH
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Another great workshop with Dan - less material, but more depth and details this time.

Dan's suffering out at the sandbar today, then extra training at Ala Moana Beach tonight.

Life can be tough when you go to a workshop around here .

Best,

Chris
Well, ...I...certainly had fun. I hope folks will continue to re-focus on the more important basics and not substitute the eye candy and external.
It was great seeing new faces....including the member of that super race who does bjj. Good grief, his teeth alone lite up the room. Some day I have to get to brazil, if only to see the gir...er..people. .

The sandbar was great, so was spear fishing, but getting past 20' , free diving and not having my ears hurt will make my day! And now ...my coach...is leaving!

Keith
I might be doing a seminar on the big island and one on Oahu, one week apart in Nov. We will see.
Cheers
Dan
Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #17
DH
United_States

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
Go FISHING !!!
Hi Bud
As I said "How about snorkling and fishing in one?"
I managed to do both in a single day
#1 Ascending from 20+' dive.
#2 Spear fishing
Poles, Howard? Who needs stinking poles when you've got a Hawaiian sling!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ascending-HALF SIZE.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spear fishing 7-6-11.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	887  
Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #18
DH
United_States

More fun in caves and arches
Four days of training and only two days of fun, I plan on changing that the next time out!!
I Can't wait till November.
Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	diving through arch.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	888   Click image for larger version

Name:	play time.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	889  
Old 07-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #19
Howard Popkin
United_States

I'm calling shenanigans
Old 07-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #20
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

You don't look too content with that pufferfish, Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spear%20fishing%207-6-11.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	891  
Old 07-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #21
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
That is Dan's in-yo-ho breathing teacher.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #22
DH
United_States

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
Yeah that thing was cruising but it was darting in between shelfs and arches before I got it. I'm such a dork that when I saw its face...I felt bad!!! And I couldn't eat it... so I fet sooo guilty!!
I'm such a softy, good grief.
Dan
Old 07-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #23
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
Hi Bud
As I said "How about snorkling and fishing in one?"
I managed to do both in a single day
#1 Ascending from 20+' dive.
#2 Spear fishing
Poles, Howard? Who needs stinking poles when you've got a Hawaiian sling!
If you keep getting your picture posted on the net with fish, people are going to, well, start thinking something fishy is going on with you

Greg
Old 07-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #24
DH
United_States

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
If you keep getting your picture posted on the net with fish, people are going to, well, start thinking something fishy is going on with you

Greg
There is....it's called Howard Popkin.
He got me addicted!!
But I found a way to combine two of my loves into one.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #25
gregstec
United_States

Quote:
There is....it's called Howard Popkin.
He got me addicted!!
But I found a way to combine two of my loves into one.
yeah, he is the fishiest guy I know