Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #26
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands
Re: Muscles important for Martial Movement

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
It's probably being cooridnated by inner muscles close to the spine, but that's just a guess.
Ok so my experience is extremely limited but that would be my guess as well.
Quote:
Going back to the issue of Shiko, other than it being a connection exercise, I was going to point out that you reap the benefit of seperating your body into roughly three axis, and coordinating the musculature appropriately. Doing squats etc, only develop those connections with two feet on the ground, while Shiko does it in motion.
I got to confess... I started doing shiko again a while ago. The above is one of the reasons I like it.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 09-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #27
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
Neone else have differing perspectives they'd like to offer?
Just curious if you got my PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #28
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote:
Just curious if you got my PM.
GOt your PM, annnd was writing a long ass reply to it...then lost it I'll be sending another one your way
Old 09-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #29
A Reed
United Kingdom

Hi there Rob,

I was just wondering could you explain what you mean by "how to transfer weight efficiently in movement without commiting your weight" ?

I guess this is linked to namba aruki or something but I have got no idea (I think) how to transfer weight. Unless its kinda like where a leg is placed onto the ground but it is 'empty' (i.e non weight bearing) before the weight is moved (becoming full), as opposed to tranferring bodyweight with the leg as it moves ?

Thanks

Andrew
Old 09-03-2006, 10:21 PM   #30
Aran Bright
Dojo: Griffith Aikido Yuishinkai
Australia

One of the theories I have comes from studies in massage and human movement. some researchers have classified different muscles of the body and structural/functional, postural/phasic, movers and stabilisers. What ever model you prefer these ideas are based on the composition of slow and fast twitch muscle fibers ie the muscles ability to support over long periods or provide power in movement.
My theory is that when we are able to support the body using "stabilising" muscles this allows the "moving' muscles to be completely relaxed and thefore more capable of functioning better. When these roles are switched and confused body mechanics are compromised in many ways.
With regard to your comments on Chest v Back. Pecs are a prime example of a "mover". By stabilising with the muscles of the posterior ribcage this will allow the pecs to become soft and therefore more capable of a full contraction. Therefore more power.
I'll refrain from going on too much more...but. I believe that the description of o'sensei's back being very soft would be the result of fully functioning deep intrinsic muscles of the spine. They ideally should be working to hold the body posture. If the larger overlying muscles or called on to do that job they will fatigue and become tight and ropey creating a hard back. (And business for massage therapists too!)

I hope this is of some help.

http://brisbaneaikido.com

Brisbane Aikido Republic
Brisbane
Australia
Old 09-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #31
Gernot Hassenpflug
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Japan

Nice post Aran. Many people are looking at deep vs shallow, postural vs moving, and it's graet to see more any more corroborating views coming out here. Of course, can we do this stuff in practice is the crunch :-) Bu it helps a lot to have a more correct physical (close to reality) idea in our minds when we try to move the body.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #32
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

With all that said above I thought it would only be common sense to realize that of course you need muscles for any physical activity!
Develope them to the best of your ability,but that doesn't mean you have to become a body builder! Train your muscle for what you intend to use them for!