Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-08-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
Green Machine

Dojo: Iwama Ryu Caerphilly
United Kingdom
Torn Ligament

Hi All

there don't seem to be a section on injuries so I decided to place it here.

I have only been doing aikido for 4 months but a few weeks ago I was having sankyo applied and there was a tearing noise the person doing the technique did not release straight away but applied a bit more pressure and again there was a tearing noise. I continued to train for the session and went home. The next day my wrist was sore and it for the next few sessions I attended hoping that the pain would eventually go away. I decided to go to my doctor and was told that I got a torn ligament and am not allowed to train for 8 weeks I am really miffed at this and was hoping ( finally the point ) that someone could tell me if there is a quick fix here or do I have to stop for 8 weeks.

Awaiting your replies Andrew
Old 07-08-2004, 08:45 PM   #2
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Torn Ligament

Sorry Andrew-no quick fixes for a ligament. A torn muscle takes about 6 weeks to heal. Ligaments have less blood supply and take longer. You might tape it up and not let anyone touch it and train with the other hand-I did that when someone tore mine-put a brace on it and made them do all techniques above the wrist. Took a long time for mine to heal since the instructor tore several ligaments. I ended up getting a cortisone shot-never been the same. Sankyo works.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:04 AM   #3
BC

If I were you I wouldn't train until the ligament is completely healed. Believe me, you do not want to risk completely tearing and separating the ligament. The resulting surgery and treatment makes an 8 week recovery period pale in comparison. Just my two cents.

Robert Cronin
Old 07-09-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
Janet Rosen

An aikidoka w/ 20 yrs as rn and her own torn acl background says: stay off the mat. Yes, soft tissue injury takes 6 to 8 wks to heal; this is the "natural history" of injury and cannot be altered. Good nutrition, doing rehab, etc can improve overall outcome and prevent an acute injury from becoming chronic, but cannot speed it up.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-09-2004, 03:54 PM   #5
Green Machine

Dojo: Iwama Ryu Caerphilly
United Kingdom

thanks for the replies sorry John but I think I will opt for Robert and Janet's advice and refrain from getting on the mat. I guess eight weeks ain't to long a wait when you think about the long term damage if I decided to get on the mat now. Besides I can't even ride my bike so will just have to do some jogging to keep my fitness up. I have got a tubi-grip (support bandage) on it at the moment but John a brace would be better as I keep accidently knocking my wrist. I just hope it heals and I can get back to what I have come to enjoy. I am allready missing it sob!
Old 07-09-2004, 03:56 PM   #6
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
An aikidoka w/ 20 yrs as rn and her own torn acl background says: stay off the mat. Yes, soft tissue injury takes 6 to 8 wks to heal; this is the "natural history" of injury and cannot be altered. Good nutrition, doing rehab, etc can improve overall outcome and prevent an acute injury from becoming chronic, but cannot speed it up.
To add to that; once the 8-week recovery period is over; don't assume 'hey, I'm healed' and go right back ot the same level of training you did before - start slow, and work into it gradually. Start with careful stretching; slowly increasing tension over about a week. Walk through the 'kyo' techniques; don't rush back into full training intensity. The ligament may be healed; but it'll be fragile; you need to give it a chance to return to the same level of strength and suppleness it had before.
You might be going nuts from the time off; but think of how you'd feel if your first 'kyo' technique after coming back ripped the thing all over again.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:51 PM   #7
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

A good brace for the wrist (the one I used) is a carpal tunnel brace. It immobilizes the wrist in neutral allowing it to heal. Dave's point is valid. Rehab the wrist before you jump back in. I would also recommend wearing some type of a brace for a while after you start back. I wasn't particularly prudent continuing training-just did not want to give it up. I was real careful and did not let anyone touch the wrist for a long time. I still tape it to this day.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:54 PM   #8
Larry John
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia

Andrew,

I have personal experience with a similar injury. I strongly recommend that if you have the injury evaluated by a hand surgeon. They know the complex structures of the hand and wrist far better than most docs, and can conduct a more thorough assessment. Ask that doc to refer you to an occupational therapist who has worked with martial artists to develop a solid rehab program.

Best of luck!

Larry
Old 07-10-2004, 12:50 AM   #9
Infamousapa
Dojo: Aikido Institute of America
United_States

I had a serious wrist injury 8 months ago and kept working out.Doing aikido didnt help .Seven months later i got it checked and found out i wasnt helping my wrist working out.REST REST REST TRUST ME..
Old 07-24-2004, 01:26 PM   #10
oudbruin
Dojo: Independent
United_States

Several months ago while doing solo practice- I haden't warmed up properly, and, while extending my leg leg forward, managed to give myself a torn hamstring- right away I knew I was injured, I felt the tendon go "BOINNG!" ouch ouch%^##@@*%#
The following day I had a livid haemotoma the size of a pound note on the back of my thigh.
I could barely walk, and sitting behind my desk was a painfull proposition.
I tried pain killers, the chiropractor, my family practioner said I'd be out of action for at least 8 weeks. I went to massage theripist and several others- finally after a week of screwing around I went to an accupuncturist in princeton-
Being an insurance adjuster, I've always felt that thestuff with the pins was a little too close to voodoo, rattles and feathers.
Guess What ?? after 5 treatments I was back on the mat!!!!! total healing time- 6 weeks.
I'm now a believer in accupuncture, it works. what is more that the pain releaf was super. a few minor deep aches, but beyond that, there was no pain after I saw the good Dr.
Western medicine has much to learn from accupuncture and other forms of chi/ki channeling and focus.
Regards, HBH