Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
dps

Sokaku Takeda - Central Location for Teaching?

Did Sokaku Takeda have a central location where he taught DR or did he teach just by traveling from one place to another where his students were teaching?

"Sokaku lived a somewhat itinerant life, travelling the length and breadth of the country giving seminars in martial arts to military officers, police officers and martial arts enthusiasts, often of high social standing. He left extensive records of those he taught in the 'eimeiroku' and the 'shareikoku' which were attendance and fee ledgers of those who attended and paid for lessons from him."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeda_S%C5%8Dkaku

David

Last edited by dps : 08-21-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
aikibudo

Dojo: tohkon judo club/strand aikido
Re: Takeda

David, this is an interesting question, im not sure of the answer right off but I will try to ask my Sensei in a couple of weeks when I see him again, his Sensei was Somekeichi Kobyashi Sensei who was taught by Takeda Sōkaku Sensei, so im assuming he might know a bit about this.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
thisisnotreal

Quote:
Aaron Hillock wrote: View Post
David, this is an interesting question, im not sure of the answer right off but I will try to ask my Sensei in a couple of weeks when I see him again, his Sensei was Somekeichi Kobyashi Sensei who was taught by Takeda Sōkaku Sensei, so im assuming he might know a bit about this.
Hello Mr. Hillock,
Greetings!
Well, may I, as politely as I can, suggest, if you are actually able to ask questions of the man, To ask: how and why his hands were so big? How he trained them, specifically? (No joke;eh; Big forearms too, i've read). I find the body development aspects (more) interesting.
Cheers,
Josh
Old 08-21-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

Quote:
Josh Phillipson wrote: View Post
Hello Mr. Hillock,
Greetings!
Well, may I, as politely as I can, suggest, if you are actually able to ask questions of the man, To ask: how and why his hands were so big? How he trained them, specifically? (No joke;eh; Big forearms too, i've read). I find the body development aspects (more) interesting.
Cheers,
Josh
His question is fine.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:29 AM   #5
dps

Quote:
Aaron Hillock wrote: View Post
Thanks Aaron,

I am also curious if the students he traveled to were taught a certain amount of material and he stayed with them until they perform the material well and then left them to practice what he had shown them until he returned to teach them more material?
Did he allow or encourage experimentation or want to maintain the material as it was taught?

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
I am also curious if the students he traveled to were taught a certain amount of material and he stayed with them until they perform the material well and then left them to practice what he had shown them until he returned to teach them more material?
Did he allow or encourage experimentation or want to maintain the material as it was taught?
All these questions are answered in full detail in "Transparent Power" by Tatsuo Kimura. That book will also bring up a lot of other questions about a lot of things, but it will give you more than you ever expected to know about Sokaku Takeda and it will give you an amazing look at a man fantastic in his own right: Yukiyoshi Sagawa. Read that book.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 08-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
K. Abrams
Dojo: unaffiliated
United_States
Re: Sokaku Takeda - Central Location for Teaching?

I remember reading that when Sokaku Takeda lived with O-Sensei, a dojo was built for him by O-Sensei. But I think it was so Master Takeda could use it to teach him. There is another book where I read (if I remember correctly) that another of Master Takeda's students did the same thing, but that dojo was also open to other people to come and train. Family friends and local officials, maybe.

But the histories I have read indicate that Master Takeda was mostly itinerate and didn't have a central dojo except perhaps for his own home, private dojo for his own training and guests. But the histories say he wasn't home much because he traveled a lot. He was invited to teach a number of high level people such as military officers, aristocrats and government people. So wherever he was invited, they provided dojo space or private rooms for him to teach in. He also had students who were teaching his art in various places, and he would visit them and teach in their dojos.

I'm not an expert in daitoryu history, so I'm just reporting what I have come across while trying to find out more about aikido's roots.