Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #26
Rod Yabut
United_States
Re: Aikido movies

I'm not sure of a movie but I did recognize a randori sequence in one CSI: NY episode. This thug was hiding in a dumpster and jumped out when Gary Sinise opened it. He tried to grab Sinise with two hands then ryokatatori kokuynage towards the wall happened. He re-attacked yokomenuchi-ish and Sinise did an crude iikyo and reversed it w/ a kotegaeshi and pin.

Like I said, it was crude...but it got me off the couch and staring at the tv
Old 06-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #27
inframan
United_States

I'll resurrect this old thread to add a couple more:

The Power of Aikido, starring Sonny Chiba and his little brother as Morihei Ueshiba. I haven't seen it but I've heard its almost all karate action. Don't know if there's an offical release, all I can find online is a Red Sun bootleg.

Hapkido, Angela Mao, Sammo Hung and Carter Wong, http://www.kungfucinema.com/review-hapkido-1972-15866 it was available in the UK under the Hong Kong Legends label, a lot of those are being re-released so hopefully it will be available again.

Yong Master it was already listed in this thread but I just thought I'd point out that in the uncut version the final (hakpkido) fight plays longer. The older releases were cut but the 20th Century Fox version is the full film.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #28
zivk

Dojo: Do-Gen-Do/Holon
Israel

Masterblaster - a 1987 thriller, with Yoshimitsu Yamada sensei as Mr. Yamada, "The Shadow Warrior".
Actually I didn't see the movie. I only saw this short youtube video. Check out 1:08. It seems promising having Yamada sensei in a movie. I hope I'll be able to see it sometime.

Here's a link to a review of the movie.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:45 AM   #29
Sacha Cloetens
Dojo: Ban Sen Juku Leuven - Masakatsu Dojo
Belgium

Some nice scenes in " After the rain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE8QNT_vmvI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHo8lCA65dQ&NR=1

enjoy
Sacha
Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #30
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Ziv Klausner wrote: View Post
It seems promising having Yamada sensei in a movie. I hope I'll be able to see it sometime.
You're joking, right?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #31
Anjisan
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States
Ai symbol Re: Aikido movies

I would have to say Seagal sensei's The Path Beyond Thought is very good and is not a teaching movie--worth checking out. Most of it is on Youtube. Also, I believe that even though it is mostly Kali/Escrima, the Bourne movies have some really good fight sequences in them. I find it fairly easy to incorporate Kali into my Aikido due to the passing and fluidity, nice compliment.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #32
Adam Huss

United_States

I'll second The Challenge and encourage people to try and seek it out. Its a good flick all around.

Gross Pointe Blank has one aikido technique in it when they are at the progtagonist's old high school and he is grabbed from behind by an old class mate.

I remember the Guyver scene. What a crappy movie, lol.

The main actor from the television show Burn Notice is some level of yudansha in aikido. I think he trained at New York Aikikai. He did an indie film that featured a lot of aikido. I think it was actually about someone who trained in aikido to overcome some sort of hardship in their life. Not sure, never saw it and have no idea how to track it down.

The Last Samurai has aikido in it. Hell, even the scene where they are doing kumitachi sets look very similar to the kumitachi I was taught by my "aikikai" style teacher.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #33
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

I spotted a shihonage in one of the battle scenes in The Chronicles of Narnia, Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #34
dps

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote: View Post
The main actor from the television show Burn Notice is some level of yudansha in aikido. I think he trained at New York Aikikai. He did an indie film that featured a lot of aikido. I think it was actually about someone who trained in aikido to overcome some sort of hardship in their life. Not sure, never saw it and have no idea how to track it down.
Was it,

Throwing Down (1996)
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809404031/info

dps

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #35
Janet Rosen

Not a movie but a live performance I saw in 2000 at ACT in San Francisco: a production of Sam Shepard's "The Late Henry Moss" starring James Gammon, Woody Harrelson, Cheech Marin, Nick Nolte, Sean Penn and Sheila Tousey. Penn did a textbook perfect looking kotegaishe - I don't remember on which actor! - to bring him down. Utterly floored me! (no pun intended)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #36
sorokod
United Kingdom

"Family Guy" gets my vote. I think Peter trained in Hombu for a while.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #37
Dave Gallagher
Dojo: Shobukan Dojo, St.Louis
United_States

This was mentioned earlier in this thread and I did a youtube search for "Aiki" and I found this but I don't know anything about it. It looks a bit hokey but after all, it's a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2U8j...eature=related

Last edited by Dave Gallagher : 06-21-2011 at 09:09 PM.

It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #38
Chris Farnham
Dojo: Aikido of Champlain Valley/Hamamatsu Aikidokai/Aikido Shidokai
United_States

Quote:
Andy Strawn wrote: View Post
The Power of Aikido, starring Sonny Chiba and his little brother as Morihei Ueshiba. I haven't seen it but I've heard its almost all karate action. Don't know if there's an offical release, all I can find online is a Red Sun bootleg.
It's on IMDB as Gekitotsu Aikido http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165296/
Old 06-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #39
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

Kamome Shokudo, a quirky movie about a Japanese woman who opens a cafe in Helsinki - http://www.nipponcinema.com/trailers...-diner-trailer has a little aikido. See her practicing shiko and later catching a thief w/ shihonage. Actually pretty fun movie.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #40
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

I've just read through this thread and thought I'd have a look for my all time favourite Aikido movie.

It starred Scott Glenn and Toshiro Mifune and was called The Challenge.

Can you believe it????? I just checked youtube and there it is .....uploaded only one day ago!

Here's the link and if you havn't seen it I highly recommend it (albeit a bit dated)

http://youtu.be/YFK1ZSVsVkg

Regards.G.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #41
Walter Martindale
Canada

The Challenge - yes, 1982. in the credits - martial arts choreography by Stephen Seagal.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #42
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
The Challenge - yes, 1982. in the credits - martial arts choreography by Stephen Seagal.
Yes indeed Walter. I remember once looking up Seagal movies and coming across that fact. I thought to myself that must have been part of how he got into movies in the first place.

Regards G.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #43
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Laid out on the couch yesterday with NyQuil on board and watched a few minutes of "Conan the Destroyer". In the fight sequence in the hall of mirrors, Conan did a ushiro tekubitori kokyunage and then a judo throw I recognized but couldn't name. In a later sequence he was fighting with his sword and assumed several sword kamae that we practice in our dojo as well.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."