Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-04-2003, 02:31 PM   #1
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Idea for a new Segal movie !!!

You know, it occured to me that the story of Aikido would make for a great movie. (duh!) Segal couldn't play the role of anyone other than a westerner obviously, but with his connections... surely he could get the backing for a movie like this.

Good idea?

Bad idea?

Personally, I think it would create an absolute HUGE boom in people trying Aikido and would increase its popularity as well as educate people on just what it is.

Thoughts? I kinda like the idea. Send royalty checks for this idea to me care of my dojo. Its all good.

*snicker*

Old 06-04-2003, 02:35 PM   #2
Eric Joyce
Dojo: Budoshingikan
United_States
You mean a bio or something unrelated to Segal yet showing aikido? It might work. No offense, but if Segal is in it, it may not go over too well. Judging by the last 2 films I saw with him, they were just aweful.

Eric Joyce
Otake Han Doshin Ryu Jujutsu
Old 06-04-2003, 08:19 PM   #3
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
You mean like "Judo Saga" or the Samurai trilogy? That would be really cool, too bad Toshiro Mifune (best martial artist/actor ever!) and Kurosawa are not around anymore...
One of the great things about Aikido is that it doesn´t need wires or "bullet time" effects to look really cool! Ah, if only Neo knew taisabaki...that fight vs. the hundred agents would´ve been over before it started!

Last edited by Nacho_mx : 06-04-2003 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:29 PM   #4
fjcsuper

I think then the help of those people who were involved in the early Aikido days would be needed to tell the story. Btw, having bullet time effects for the action scenes might look cool... coordinated with extension of ki of the characters?

Hell, I bet Neo does know some tai sabaki. He has so many martial arts programmed into his brain!

But I think if Aikido were to be programmed into his brain, it would take up too much memory space!

It is inevitable.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:19 AM   #5
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
try the X-ray effect like in 'Romeo Must Die' when the hero do the sankyo for example.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:32 AM   #6
jaxonbrown
sounds great. do it.

hope it doesn't suck cuz then you'd be making the entire aikido community look stupid (besides seagal)

no pressure, bro.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:22 AM   #7
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
I was talking to a friend after class about this idea. Segal, if he wasn't part of the movie could produce it and consult or something... but being who he is would have the conections to pull this off.

Anyways, this wouldn't be a biography of O'Sensei nor would it be a documentary. Just do a story, a good movie version, telling the story of Aikido, its origins and creation, development, etc. Or just tell the story of O'Sensei but in a movie way, not documentary way. Make it entertaining as well as imformative... something people would go see and not nessecarily something for training, but just to get history and background.

I'm babbling, but I really think there is a story here to be told that would best tranlate in film and NOT book form. Its all fine and good to read about O'Sensei training the Japanese Police force but to see him doing it would be cool!

Old 06-05-2003, 09:45 AM   #8
Erik
I did not know that Jack Gallo practiced Aikido. By all means, if you think he can help.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:43 PM   #9
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
By the way... there is this japanese movie called Aiki. i watched it last month on my to Japan.

Its about this boy who was doing boxing, and who also had this destructive tendency. One day he met with an accident that crippled him waist down.

So after that he went through the usual... getting drunk, getting into fights, alienating his girl...etc. So after being kicked in the ass... he tried to enroll in some arts but many dojo turned him away cause of his condition. Until one fine day, he saw a martial arts demo. And guess what... it was an Aikijitsu demo.

After learning aikijitsu for awhile, he started to get back his life. And again another demo was put up, this time in front of a foreign diplomat. After the demo, some bad ass karate guys raised some ruckus that aikijitsu was fake. (don't you always get this with aikido? heh). And so this boy took the master on...with his wheelchair even, and of course he won.

Anyway... that was an aikijitsu movie which was quite entertaining and didn't focus too much on the art or its historical roots. It needed to touch base with potential audiences and this time, it was through the handicap issue and boy meets world kinda thing.

If you want to do something historical... my guess is, it would be pretty boring unless you spruce it up. Unless of course you're doing it for discovery or something. but in the movies... its gotta be about action, comedy or a tear jerker.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:55 AM   #10
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States
Morihei Ueshiba

Morihei Ueshiba living in pretty interesting times, and a Forest Gump style bio would be a fantastic movie. I would have to think the script writers wouldn't do much to his own life stories. Anyway I also thinks its a great idea. As for Seagal, I will leave that for someone else to judge.

Ryan
Old 06-09-2003, 09:00 AM   #11
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Just figured out how to improve the quality of still to come Steven Seagal movies.

Omit Steven Seagal

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 06-09-2003, 12:25 PM   #12
SmilingNage
United_States
lmao Erik take Seagal out off the movie.

How about a change and play a character that doesnt have a clouded cia past. Or maybe have script that doesnt require him to whisper throughout the movie because the dialogue is downright awful.

Doesnt it look like he is taking career advise from van damme. Last 2 releases straight to video. I feel having a wayans brother in any of your movies is the kiss of death,ie. glimmer man

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.