Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
PE for Body Mind and Spirit

Hi,
As some of you may already know, I have been involved in developing and teaching a New Martial Arts curriculum in secondary schools, or schools for "kids at-risk" as is often the term.
After a lot of work, contributions and collaborations among many diciplines, educators,and administrators our program guide is available online for anyone who is interested.

There is great info on how to develop a program in your school district and information on teaching diverse groups of youth.

The link is:
http://www.pe4bodymindspirit.santacr...ogramGuide.pdf

Thanks to everyone who contributes to teaching and to training. Your hand is in this work also!!!!!

Jen Smith

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States
Re: PE for Body Mind and Spirit

Thanks for this. I browsed it, and it looks pretty informative and detailed. Often thought about getting an after school program started with a local school, but admittedly know nothing on the admin side about getting the ball rolling.

Shannon

Old 01-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
crbateman

Another good resource can be found in a book titled "Aikido: Beginning and Intermediate Studies", authored by John Litchen. Aikido is a PE elective in Australia, and this book was written to serve as a textbook for those courses. It is a very structured and methodical approach. Google the title or the author for sourcing info.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
gdandscompserv

United_States
Thumbs up Re: PE for Body Mind and Spirit

Good stuff! Thank you Jennifer.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
crbateman

Jen, that is a very ambitious program. I'm sure it will give much opportunity to the students. As for the Aikido component, I like that you have focused your theme on "Masakatsu Agatsu". This is a very appropriate one. I hope that your program leads many students to continue their training beyond the conclusion of the coursework.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
Jen, that is a very ambitious program. I'm sure it will give much opportunity to the students. As for the Aikido component, I like that you have focused your theme on "Masakatsu Agatsu". This is a very appropriate one. I hope that your program leads many students to continue their training beyond the conclusion of the coursework.
Thanks so much for the resource ideas in your previous post! I can't wait to check it out.

So far, I'm having fairly good luck with student retention and continued good attrition. The students who sometimes do not continue in the actual classes have come up to me and mentioned stories of using aikido based on moves we did in class; sometimes physically but mostly in principle.

It will interesting to watch how things continue to develop.

Thanks again, jen

Jennifer Paige Smith
Old 01-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
crbateman

Not at all... Glad I could be of some small help. This planet needs more people propagating the ideals of the Aikido philosophy, rather than only teaching the mechanics. It is I who should be thanking you...
Old 01-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States

A program like this should be available to ALL our schools. It made me want to sign up for the courses! I remember my first martial art training was in a short summer program after my freshman year of high school but there was no local martial art school in town to continue training and we were so poor I could not have been able to afford the training any way. I would have loved to have had a school based program. That short exposure prompted me to continue in the martial arts my entire adult life. My training gave me the confidence and self discipline to become a productive happy person. Only time will tell the full impact of this program on the students. I'm sure some will continue training in one of the arts and the others will still carry the memory in their hearts.
The guide is excellent and a valuable contribution to the martial arts.
Thank you from all of us.
Doc
Old 01-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

Interesting reading. I use tai chi, yoga, aikido, karate, jkd, wushu and boxing in my PE program, and this has some wonderful articulations about the subject of martial art.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

Thanks for the materials. I reviewed them and will be presenting them to some of the clinical coordinators at the chemical dependency treatment facility where I work. I think something along these lines would be very beneficial for our clinical population.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #11
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Quote:
Eric Webber wrote: View Post
Thanks for the materials. I reviewed them and will be presenting them to some of the clinical coordinators at the chemical dependency treatment facility where I work. I think something along these lines would be very beneficial for our clinical population.
You're more than welcome! It may be of interest to you to specifically look into the Juvenile detention/ probation office in Santa Cruz County where they have been teaching yoga and mindful meditation for many years. Recently I was approached about providing a program in that institution, also. It is a also process in the works.

For thse who are reading this and wishing that they could get a program started in their own commuity, you should know that this was a federally funded project that satisfied the PE academic requirements for every state in the US. If the outline is followed, it is a federally/state fundable program. The trick is finding the money. Not to let my personal political views about our 'war on drugs' or whatever in this country out of the bag, but you can get funded through many drug and alcohol abatement programs that have a lot of cash and clout behind them. Also,many prisons and judicial institutions are well funded at this point and money can be
found there for programs like this.

You know, the content material can be adjusted to fit different individuals teaching approach and particular philosophy regarding Aiki. It isn't necessary that these programs be 'PC'. It is, however, crucial that they demonstrate an improvement in the coping skills or physical condition of the students that participate.

If most of our training is any indication, we should be able to accomplish this.

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Paige Smith