Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
camt
Canada
Aikido 3D 2.0 and Donovan Waite

I'm looking to hear some opinions of Sensei Waite's Aikido. Do most agree that he was a good choice for such a detailed example of technique that Aikido 3D seems to provide? Do some experienced Aikidoka feel that he portrays an aikido that is of the variety akin to "dancing" (I hope not)? From my inexperienced eye this doesn't seem to be the case, but I would like to hear from people of experience.

Obviously I'm looking to see the best examples of Aikido's martial effectiveness, and I'm wondering if Sensei Waite's style is a worthy model. Again, it seems to me that he is very good.

FYI I would be purchasing this product as a supplement to training outside the dojo. NOT replace the dojo and proper instruction .

Thanks for any input!
Old 03-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
camt
Canada
Re: Aikido 3D 2.0 and Donovan Waite

Many views but no response. I'll take that as a sign that Sensei Waite is a good example to follow. Also, I imagine it would be hard to stick your neck out and say otherwise against a 7th dan instructor on an Aikido forum. I meant no offence, just wanted to hear some criticisms that any might have and why (e.g. his Aikido lineage etc.)
Old 03-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Waite Sensei is highly skilled and a wonder to watch - especially his ukemi. I tried the Aikido 3D product and just didn't find it all that valuable, particularly because our lineage does things differently. To me, it was an interesting novelty and little more. Others have supported the product whole-heartedly. It was quite a coup to get someone of Waite Sensei's quality to participate in the production. YMMV.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 03-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
NagaBaba

Quote:
Cameron Tarr wrote: View Post
Many views but no response. I'll take that as a sign that Sensei Waite is a good example to follow. Also, I imagine it would be hard to stick your neck out and say otherwise against a 7th dan instructor on an Aikido forum. I meant no offence, just wanted to hear some criticisms that any might have and why (e.g. his Aikido lineage etc.)
I don't practice the same style that Donovan, but I think he is one of the most talented aikido instructors in North America. I have great pleasure to practice in his seminars every time I can, his aikido is precise, technically excellent, flexible and of course very powerful.

I'm not sure what is your goal when buying dvd….If you want to practice his style, you should follow his seminars, receive techniques from him, or practice in his dojo. This dvd stuff is useless IMO if you don't have firsthand experience what he is doing on the tatami.

Otherwise buy dvd of your instructor LOL

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 03-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

i'll echo what michael and szczepan have said.

waite sensei has great aikido, impeccable form and ukemi. i always get alot out of his seminars. BUT, if its not the aikido that your sensei teaches, it may not do you any good.

get a strong, basic foundation from your teacher first.

practice hard
Old 03-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
camt
Canada

Are the styles really so different in aikido that one couldn't learn from this product? As a new student of aikido it seems to me that it would be extremely useful as a reference and detailed analysis of the movements (better than any book or video). This program also has many features that dvd's don't offer, like full 360 viewing and slow-mo, for example.

So, I just don't really get the above advice. Unless the styles truly differ, aikido 3d seems immensely useful to me. Kotegaeshi is kotegaeshi, no? I'm not a salesman for aikido 3d by the way hahah. I'm just excited by what it seems to offer.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
NagaBaba

Well, aikido is not merely an exercise of some kind theoretical analysis, it is in fact a lot of suffering on the tatami. You shut down your brain and simply practice again and again....next 20 years...so simple

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 03-22-2014, 12:32 AM   #8
robin_jet_alt
Australia

I've been doing aikido for 13 years. Over that time I have trained consistently in 4 different styles and I've been to occasional seminars in other styles. I also just learned a new way to do kotegaeshi on Monday. So the answer to your question is yes, they differ, and no, kotegaeshi is not just kotegaeshi. I'm not sure about the aikido that you study, and I'm not sure about the computer program, but it seems to me that 90% of what real aikido is cannot be adequately conveyed using a program like that. All you can really learn from it is form. This is why you want it to be the same form as the person who will be teaching you all the other important stuff. If it's not, you will just get confused. This is why you are getting all of these answers. Anyway, nobody is going to tell you that Donovan Waite is not good. He is very good. However, we are all concerned that you are spending money on a product that may or may not be beneficial for your training at this stage.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:15 AM   #9
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

I think it is a great tuition DVD that demonstrates the basics of Aikido. For a beginner like myself this DVD is a valuable tool, for remembering the name of techniques, taisabaki movement and the many 3D views that clearly show ukemi. Sure the DVD is not explicit to the style I learn and study but Shiho nage is Shiho nage, Kote gaeshi is Kote geashi. It my not be the variation I am learning, but at least I do know the name of the technique that is expected from me, especially when I am Sempai to my training partner. As I become more senior I have been less reliant on the DVD.

Motto tsuyoku
Old 03-22-2014, 05:54 AM   #10
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Can't hurt - maybe gives you a new perspective.

Just don't go on the mat at your home dojo and start pulling "yes but .....'

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
Just don't go on the mat at your home dojo and start pulling "yes but .....'
Thanks Peter, that's a very good point of order! Something I adhere too. Cheers

Motto tsuyoku
Old 03-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Well, aikido is not merely an exercise of some kind theoretical analysis, it is in fact a lot of suffering on the tatami.
I agree and disagree. Too much analysis can get in the way really should be done only by your teachers until you reach a certain point.

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
You shut down your brain and simply practice again and again....next 20 years...so simple
That definitely does not describe how I train. The balance of how much brain engagement is part of the training, IMO.

Actually, what that describes to me is another, but important, part of training, which is recreating.

With respect to Donovan Waite's DVD, I found it interesting but not useful to my own training or my students training, but we're not in the same lineage and don't approach our training the same way.

Best,

Tarik

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 03-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
Dave Sampson
United Kingdom

Quote:
Cameron Tarr wrote: View Post
Are the styles really so different in aikido that one couldn't learn from this product? As a new student of aikido it seems to me that it would be extremely useful as a reference and detailed analysis of the movements (better than any book or video). This program also has many features that dvd's don't offer, like full 360 viewing and slow-mo, for example.

So, I just don't really get the above advice. Unless the styles truly differ, aikido 3d seems immensely useful to me. Kotegaeshi is kotegaeshi, no? I'm not a salesman for aikido 3d by the way hahah. I'm just excited by what it seems to offer.
I practice Yoshinkan. I am an 8th Kyu now but when i was a white belt i went on youtube to start learning on my own. I saw the "big" people in my dojo doing Kihon Dosa kata like synchronized swimmers and i wanted to start doing that myself since this is something i can on my own.

So i started watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoqWF3Sdbxk

It was Yoshinkan after all so what can it harm? I was teaching myself the wrong technique watching that and trying to emulate the video. There were some small differences and the only reason i was not called out on my mistakes was that the Kihon Dosa in our dojo is only required at 5th kyu.

I did not want to pick up stuff from the video and learn it wrong. Not that what they, in the video, do is wrong, it is just wrong in the context of our dojo.

Hiriki no Yosai Ni is done in our dojo without pivoting on the balls of the feet in one spot but rather like turning around in 180 and then taking a step forward while extending the arm forward to re-inforce the square hips.

To a noob like myself these small differences were not immediately noticeable since in the beginning we are overwhelmed with information. But i was teaching myself wrong. I had good intentions though so that did not harm. What harmed me was having to relearn it the proper way. All good now though and i stay away from youtube. I film the "big" people in my dojo with my helmet camera instead when i dont get something.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #14
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dave Sampson wrote: View Post
I practice Yoshinkan. I am an 8th Kyu now but when i was a white belt i went on youtube to start learning on my own. I saw the "big" people in my dojo doing Kihon Dosa kata like synchronized swimmers and i wanted to start doing that myself since this is something i can on my own.

So i started watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoqWF3Sdbxk

It was Yoshinkan after all so what can it harm? I was teaching myself the wrong technique watching that and trying to emulate the video. There were some small differences and the only reason i was not called out on my mistakes was that the Kihon Dosa in our dojo is only required at 5th kyu.

I did not want to pick up stuff from the video and learn it wrong. Not that what they, in the video, do is wrong, it is just wrong in the context of our dojo.

Hiriki no Yosai Ni is done in our dojo without pivoting on the balls of the feet in one spot but rather like turning around in 180 and then taking a step forward while extending the arm forward to re-inforce the square hips.

To a noob like myself these small differences were not immediately noticeable since in the beginning we are overwhelmed with information. But i was teaching myself wrong. I had good intentions though so that did not harm. What harmed me was having to relearn it the proper way. All good now though and i stay away from youtube. I film the "big" people in my dojo with my helmet camera instead when i dont get some
Dear Dave,
Rather than teach yourself, why not just let your teachers teach you?No disrespect meant here, but as an 8th kyu[which suggests to me you are a beginner]I would suggest teaching yourself is a bit advanced.You can sometimes unintentionally pick up bad habits which then have to be put right at a later date.Watching vids is interesting but you cannot always do the waza shown.
I would suggest if I may just practice .It all falls into place at a certain point.
Cheers, Joe.

Last edited by akiy : 03-27-2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags