Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-31-2017, 12:33 PM   #76
GovernorSilver
Re: Complementary Aikido Styles

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
You trained under Mr. Harris?
Yes. Roy had just started his BJJ class at the time. He was working as a security guard, or maybe campus police at University of California San Diego, so the class was on campus. He had also just started learning Sambo from a UCSD graduate student, who was from Russia. They rolled one day and he got Roy with all kinds of leg locks, so they started exchanging information.

Roy did mention an Aikido guy who came to him for training. He wanted Roy to help him make his Aikido work against boxers, grapplers, etc. I don't remember if Roy mentioned his name.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:52 AM   #77
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia

Quote:
Paolo Valladolid wrote: View Post
One day he brought a couple of his BJJ training buddies with him to Judo class, and they threw everybody, even the sons of the head instructor.
The old days when BJJ practitioners had black belts in Judo, but off course hardly mentioned it.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #78
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States

Well, even O Sensei was a Judo student in his youth. Aside from remembering those who were explicitly both high ranked students of O Sensei and Kano Jigoro, few ever mention Judo and Aikido in the same breath.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #79
ninjedi

United_States

Quote:
John Hillson wrote: View Post
Well, even O Sensei was a Judo student in his youth. Aside from remembering those who were explicitly both high ranked students of O Sensei and Kano Jigoro, few ever mention Judo and Aikido in the same breath.
Don't all Japanese youths study Judo at some point? I think it's like a PE requirement or something. (Not kidding.)
Old 04-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #80
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Josh Brown wrote: View Post
Don't all Japanese youths study Judo at some point? I think it's like a PE requirement or something. (Not kidding.)
Well no - in Ueshiba's case his rich father hired a young judoka to teach him and a friend.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #81
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Josh Brown wrote: View Post
Budo training (Judo, Kendo...) became compulsory matters in the Japanese educational system during the 1930's until the end of WWII. Ueshiba trained Judo in 1911, in a private dojo built by his father.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:56 PM   #82
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Budo training (Judo, Kendo...) became compulsory matters in the Japanese educational system during the 1930's until the end of WWII. Ueshiba trained Judo in 1911, in a private dojo built by his father.
Most high schools I have seen have a Judo, Karate, Kendo, or sumo club, or a mix thereof. A few have Aikido clubs. I would say every major university has one or two or more massive dedicated dojos (A Karate dojo, a Judo dojo, Kyudo etc. etc), plus a sumo ring etc. It's just the norm there. Every small town seems to have a medium to massive Budokan.

I'm talking TODAY :-)

Old 04-04-2017, 04:33 AM   #83
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Square Re: Complementary Aikido Styles

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote: View Post
Well, he is the soon of Morihiro Saito so he is probably the best representative of Iwama and his fathers way of teaching and therefore by many accounts the way of O'Sensei. What's his name now?
It was Hitohiro, now Hitohira.

I think it´s pretty clear that he (Hitohira) is his own and that´s a very good thing. He is obviously exploring aikido and budo as well as making changes as he goes along. His students are usually very enthusiastic about their practice so in most cases I think a group connected to Iwama Shin Shin Shurenkai is a good choice as any to test Iwama-style aikido. There are however other senior teachers that remain within the Aikikai both in Japan and the west, like Inagaki, Takayasu, Hendricks, Evenås, Andersson, Larson, de Quiros etc that had a strong connection to Morihiro Saito and provides high quality Iwama-style instruction.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:38 AM   #84
GovernorSilver

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote: View Post
The old days when BJJ practitioners had black belts in Judo, but off course hardly mentioned it.
The two I mentioned did wear their black belts to Judo class.

There was one guy in Judo class who wore a white belt but clearly demonstrated skills far above white belt level. The head instructor eventually found out he actually possessed a brown belt from training elsewhere. That student was reprimanded in front of class. Afterwards he attended wearing a brown belt.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #85
MrIggy
Serbia

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
It was Hitohiro, now Hitohira.
I see but i don't understand the difference.

Quote:
I think it´s pretty clear that he (Hitohira) is his own and that´s a very good thing. He is obviously exploring aikido and budo as well as making changes as he goes along. His students are usually very enthusiastic about their practice so in most cases I think a group connected to Iwama Shin Shin Shurenkai is a good choice as any to test Iwama-style aikido. There are however other senior teachers that remain within the Aikikai both in Japan and the west, like Inagaki, Takayasu, Hendricks, Evenås, Andersson, Larson, de Quiros etc that had a strong connection to Morihiro Saito and provides high quality Iwama-style instruction.
Yes, i heard about many of them. I just thought because of the strictness in the way of instruction, that his father had, that he would be the best option. In that case any one of the above mentioned would be a good choice, while also having a connection to the Iwama Shin-Shin Aiki Shuren-kai.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #86
MrIggy
Serbia

Quote:
Paolo Valladolid wrote: View Post
The two I mentioned did wear their black belts to Judo class.
Fair game.

Quote:
There was one guy in Judo class who wore a white belt but clearly demonstrated skills far above white belt level. The head instructor eventually found out he actually possessed a brown belt from training elsewhere. That student was reprimanded in front of class. Afterwards he attended wearing a brown belt.
Sneaky little...
Old 04-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #87
zakariae abbad
Dojo: Dojo Aiki Fez
Morocco

I think this is a good spirit and open mainded to search in all Aikido styles, because I think that all styles have something at least (if I do not say a lot of things) to teach us about Aikido, but you need to know (and according to my little experience) that all styles share the same basics, such as: triangle, cercle, square, hips movements...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!