Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
bankai
United_States
neko ukemi

Does anyone have any insight or advice on how to do a good neko ukemi? It`s basically a high "soft" landing break fall.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
WilliB
Dojo: Minato Aikikai
Japan
Re: neko ukemi

Quote:
Son Mai wrote: View Post
Does anyone have any insight or advice on how to do a good neko ukemi? It`s basically a high "soft" landing break fall.
There are plenty of Youtube videos with step-by-step instructions.
Me, I have tried but can´t seem to get it into my system, but I envy the people who can. It certainly looks cool.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
guest1234567
Spain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMpBp...layer_embedded

This is how we learn it in our dojo
Old 10-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Carina Reinhardt wrote: View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMpBp...layer_embedded

This is how we learn it in our dojo
Good Video....I recommend it.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
amoeba
Dojo: Aikido Netzwerk
Germany

Looks like we do it...
Although the same, "soft" way of falling can make quite a lot of noise (the slapping arm) when you're thrown forcefully!
Old 10-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

A tip that I got from a dojo mate recently was to let the energy of the throw travel from tori's arms into your slapping arm. Somehow that idea made all the difference to me.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 10-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
RED
United_States

I don't like the slapping arm thing while exiting the breakfall. Ouchy. Not soft.
We are taught where I'm at to not slap with the breaking arm so much as to make contact and to continue to roll past it.
I 2nd Carina's video.

MM
Old 10-18-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Hi,

in our dojo we train it regularly as a part of warming-up exercises.
(Don't have a video...sorry).

You take your partner in ai hanmi kata te dori, and then you turn so that our joint hands are at the level of his belt knot. You do the fall over these joint hands. Lower your head to the knee corresponding to your free arm and extend the free arm as much as you can backwards (like reaching out over your head, but lifting the arm over your back, not on the front side => the way your partner holds your arm when throwing you kaiten nage). In the last moment, before your head hits the knee, you withdraw the knee. Then your hand touches the mat, you roll over your arm and shoulder. If well done, it makes no noise at all. That's where the cat fall name comes from. After practicing a few hundred times this works very well, and for SOME throws it remains silent. Such like kote gaeshi, kaiten nag or shiho nage where you can spin in a large circle. But if someone throws you dynamically with ten shi nage, sumi otoshi or irimi nage there would normally still be a noise...at least to my knowledge.

It is also possible to practice the cat fall on your own. Just do mae ukemi starting position, lower the head to your knee and put the arm up backwards, such as in kaiten nage. Then bend forwards until the hand touches the ground.

And it also works for yoko ukemi, only that you should do it sidewards; that's a bit more difficult. But it works.

Best regards,

Eva
Old 10-18-2010, 04:50 AM   #9
bankai
United_States

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was hoping to see something new I haven`t tried. I`ll be trying out some of the suggestions.wish me luck
Old 10-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
amoeba
Dojo: Aikido Netzwerk
Germany

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
I don't like the slapping arm thing while exiting the breakfall. Ouchy. Not soft.
We are taught where I'm at to not slap with the breaking arm so much as to make contact and to continue to roll past it.
I 2nd Carina's video.
Hm, I don't think we're talking about the same "slapping" here? What we do is actually very soft as the arm hits the mat first and the rest follows. The harder the throw gets, the more energy's also in the arm.

In this video you can find a few examples of how it looks if done nice and slow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ15XY39KlY

When done faster, it looks quite like the normal "Tissier-style" breakfalls. I personally think that the "ultra soft, quiet and slow" approach is just a way of learning. In energetic training, I no one I know falls without making a noise. To the contrary, some of the best ukes in Jans dojo (the one in the video...) make quite a lot of noise! But they can fall very soft if they want to...