Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-16-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Mats

I'm curious. Has anyone come up with an inexpensive way to build or make mats or has found a real reasonable place to buy them? I'm not talking about the fold up kind but rather building permanent ones. Prefer a canvas top.

Looking at the prices out there is scary.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:55 PM   #2
John Tjia
Dojo: White Plains Aikido of Westchester
Shredded tires

When I was at the Park Slope Aikido dojo (Brooklyn, New York, Hal Lehrman chief instructor) 20 yrs ago, he went and found a place that shredded tires. The rubber pieces were small enough (and cheap enough) that you could lay down a 1"-2" pad over the floor, and then cover that with canvas, which was strung to the borders. It worked real well!
Old 03-16-2004, 02:14 PM   #3
indomaresa
Dojo: Aiki Kenkyukai
one of the dojos I've been to is a shoe factory.

They used shoe sole material for the mats.

pretty hot, but at least it's cheap.

The road is long...
The path is steep...
So hire a guide to show you the shortcuts
Old 03-16-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
Brehan Crawford
Though I've never seen its innards, as I understand it our mat is made out of powdered rubber in large plastic bags with carpeting and canvas on top. It's a great surface and afaik the only maintenance it needs is to have the rubber raked around once a year or so as it tends to shift and make bumps and gutters over time.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
ikkitosennomusha
Some people think by contacting foam companies that it would be cheaper. A good foam like the cross-linked oletex 40'x40'x2" can be more expensive than getting the zebra mats for the same area. If I come aross anything, I will post. Ideally, there should be a way to provide safe, comfortable flooring inexpensively but, it doesn't seem so.

Even if you find make-shift stuff for the floor, you still need to order a canvas large enough to fit over it which can run anywhere from $400-$1000 depending in size. So, its best to get the swain or sebra mats that do not have to be covered and should last a long time for the money.

If you are that hard up, you can salvage some old carpet and layer it up. I have to train on the ground from time to time and thats not fun. My experience with the zebra mats; they are great for break falls but killer on the knees for suwariwaza.

Brad

Last edited by ikkitosennomusha : 03-16-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:28 PM   #6
paw
John,

This thread archived by Stickgrappler may be useful. Various ideas are discussed and the thread ends with step by step instructions for building a solution.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Paul