Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-21-2002, 11:16 PM   #1
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: b5ef7fb5
Anonymous User
Help me please

This person has practiced for less than half the time I have. I have practiced for 13 years, I think he has for 4 or 5 now.

But the problem is that he is constantly belittling me. He treats me like a 6th kyu or something. Everything I say he says is wrong, or that my understanding is wrong. He posts on the aiki web and in the posts he acts like I am his student and he is a master. It drives me nuts, if my Sensei has promoted me to this rank I think Sensei would want me to be treated like the rank I am.

Thank you
Old 08-21-2002, 11:44 PM   #2
"anon"
IP Hash: bef6e9a8
Anonymous User
Sounds like a very, very frustrating situation.

I'd try to avoid the guy as much as possible. Find other training partners when it's time to pair up.

If he contradicts everything you say, maybe you should stop saying anything. "Shut up and train," as the saying goes. Your technique will show whether you understand or not. And if he starts correcting you during practice, you could just smile, say "sure," and keep doing what you're doing.

If lousy behavior persists & you can't avoid him, maybe you should just take it as yet another variation on the problem of a "difficult" uke. Think of it as training for conflict outside the dojo.

All this may be harder if you're teaching, though (whether leading the class, assistant teaching, or as trusty sempai) - are you? If he's busy contradicting whatever you say when you're actually teaching, not just training together, he's way out of line. I don't know what to tell you on that one. Have you talked to your sensei about the problem?

One last thing. From what you've written, it sounds like the guy himself is a large part of the problem. But could your own attitude be making it worse? Your last line about wanting to be treated like the rank you are is the voice of wounded pride & ego. Could it be that you're a little too attached to your rank? After practicing for 13 years, you must be pretty damn good - and your technique will show that clearly. Who cares what rank he treats you as? Skill can't be hidden (and can't be faked, either).

Good luck & best wishes. Keep me posted on what happens.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:10 AM   #3
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 797c7f03
Anonymous User
Yap !

I agree with the above... get off the line- He'll sure simply loose balance.LOL
Old 08-22-2002, 01:03 AM   #4
Edward
Thailand
Just kick the guy's butt a few times, throw him around heavily and put a little more pressure than usual on those nikkyo and sankyo. I'm sure he'll understand. This shouldn't be difficult with your long experience compared to his. If not, then he might have a point.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:09 AM   #5
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Help me please

Quote:
() wrote:
This person has practiced for less than half the time I have. I have practiced for 13 years, I think he has for 4 or 5 now.

But the problem is that he is constantly belittling me. He treats me like a 6th kyu or something. Everything I say he says is wrong, or that my understanding is wrong. He posts on the aiki web and in the posts he acts like I am his student and he is a master. It drives me nuts, if my Sensei has promoted me to this rank I think Sensei would want me to be treated like the rank I am.

Thank you
1) He sounds like an irritating person.

2) Rank really doesn't have anything to do with it. He'd be irritating no matter what the rank relationship .

Anyway, IMO rank really shouldn't have anything to do with how you treat a person.

Best,

Chris

Old 08-22-2002, 01:10 AM   #6
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Re: Help me please

Quote:
Christopher Li (Chris Li) wrote:
1) He sounds like an irritating person.

2) Rank really doesn't have anything to do with it. He'd be irritating no matter what the rank relationship .

Anyway, IMO rank really shouldn't have anything to do with how you treat a person, or how they treat you,

Best,

Chris

Old 08-22-2002, 04:05 AM   #7
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Smile

Yeah do some training with him and just make sure you really wap on the nikkyo's n sankyo's

Remember tho you are both learning even when you reach 10th dan but you should also remind him of this fact and if he insists on stating your wrong or contradicts you infront of the class then make sure your sensei notices, has he recently got a black belt?

is the power going to his head?

is he trying to be an evil overlord before he's been a minion?

(ignore the last one if your not into world domination)

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 08-22-2002, 07:34 PM   #8
Ben_t_shodan
Dojo: Aikido Institute of Michigan, Seiwa Dojo
Re: Help me please

Quote:
() wrote:

Thank you
You know I am in the same situation, I started young so people in the dojo don't see me as an Aikidoka but as a kid. I have a little problem with a few people, mostly beginners that are older. They think I can do anything to help them because I am over half their age. Just ignore it.

You cant help them if they don't want to listen (on or off the mat). We have one black belt that is a sales man, so that is what he dose is he sells himself on the mat. To he dose that to a point that he stomps on everyone else.

Thank you

ben
Old 08-23-2002, 02:00 AM   #9
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
"he dose that to a point that he stomps on everyone else."

Hey Ben, I think I know who you are talking about. You've summed him up very nicely.

Bronson
Old 08-23-2002, 04:43 AM   #10
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I would disagree with pretty much every post above. O'Sensei was quite clear that aikido was to change yourself, and not to change others - also, he had the 'problems are opportunities to improve yourself' attitude. [maybe I should listen to that myself!]

Just because you have more experience does not mean he hasn't anything to teach you, though you would expect him to give you some respect. Maybe he's just filled with his enthusiasm for aikido and wants to spout his interesting ideas. Don't try and force locks on him, and don't leave the site (in my opinion); listen to what he has to say and give your valued opinion and ignore any rubbish or bitchiness that comes out - take what you need to improve yourself.

If nothing else you'll get better at responding to ill informed criticism!

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 08-23-2002, 04:44 AM   #11
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
P.S. if comments become argumentative, with no content, or insulting you can always report the post to a moderator.

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 08-23-2002, 05:09 AM   #12
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Ian has a very valid point; basically take lemons and make lemonade. Take the opportunity to turn it into something positive, at least as a point to learn something. It is frustrating to have someone belittle you, and is hurtful too. Why does he do it? What could you be doing that brings it out in him? What can you learn from this?

Another suggestion too; maybe this fellow doesn't have a good grasp of etiquette and the sempai/kohai relationship. Even if he is technically better (and this is a big IF), the relationship dictates respect (respect goes both ways, you as sempai should respect the junior for his potential and to nurture him; he as kohai should respect you for your experience and time on the mat). Possibly a good sit down and talk would help alleviate the situation.

Anyway, just my $.02