Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Cannea
Canada
Has anyone trained with Kimeda Sensei?

Hello Everyone

I am thinking about taking a traditional Japanese Martial art as I hear it is a great way of building discipline and character. Recently I noticed there is an Aikido dojo right near my campus here in Toronto. I looked it up on the net and I found out that Kimeda Sensei was the head instructor. And I have a few questions:

Has anyone here trained under Kimeda Sensei?
What do you think of his teaching style?
Is the Dojo the right size for the number of students they have?
Is Yoshinkai Aikido useful for self defense (I know a loaded a question right ) ?

How long will it take to become proficient at Aikido enough to be able to use it for self defense?

I know that there are allot of commercial "Martial Art Dojo's" that teach pure technique. That is fine, but I am not looking for that. I am very much interested in the type of Martial Art instruction that fosters and builds character, that is why I am thinking of picking up a traditional Japanese Martial Art. Does Kimeda Sensei train the physical and mental aspects of his students?

I know that these are many questions to answer, but I wanted to ask someone outside of the Dojo. Mostly because I am sure that if I went and asked these same question in person at the Dojo the standard answer might be something less then the truth. I had that type of experience asking similar questions at a Karate dojo, the answers that I got was that the head Sensei was the man, that particular Karate style was the deadliest martial art know to mankind and that after studying for 2 years I would be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound and perhaps gain X- ray vision. So it's nice to ask these question of people that do not have a vested interest in me studying at their Dojo. Thanks for your time
Old 08-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Re: Has anyone trained with Kimeda Sensei?

You can't go wrong at Kimeda Sensei's dojo. Your best bet is to go visit the school and talk with the senior instructors and Kimeda Sensei himself if possible.

He is a 9th dan in Yoshinkan Aikido. As for how long it'll take you to get proficient and whether YOUR aikido is effective is really up to you. You get out of your training what you put into it.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Adam Huss

United_States

My teacher was a student of Kimeda Sensei and holds him in very high regard. I would like to echo Miranda Sensei's sentiments and recommend you visit the school and see if it is a place you would like to train. I am drawn to Yoshinkan Aikido for its emphasis on detail and martial spirit.

A unique aspect of Kimeda Sensei's school is that he likely still holds Kenshu courses sometime during the year. Kenshu is an intensive study program designed to give students an in-depth practice and understanding of the martial way. This is something rare in my limited experience in the martial arts.

I find the particular teacher at a school is as important, if not more so, than the actual style of martial art being taught. If you try it out and don't have fun then, to you, its not really worth the time and money.

I like traditional Japanese martial arts for the particular reason you seem to be interested in it. Kimeda Sensei should be a good bet for those qualities.

Good luck in your searching and I hope you find something that works out for you. My teacher and my training has changed my life significantly...maybe you can find the same results at Kimeda Sensei's school (I very temporarily trained at one of Kimeda Sensei's satellite schools at the Ohio State University in the USA. While a small school, they embodied much of the martial spirit that drew me to Yoshinkan Aikido in the first place).
cheers,
Adam

Last edited by Adam Huss : 08-30-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
crbateman

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote: View Post
You get out of your training what you put into it.
Not always, but it's nice to think that it's possible...
Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
Cannea
Canada

Thanks for the reply Adam, I am definitely going to check the Dojo out and talk to Kimeda Sensei. I also agree with you that the instructor is more important then the style that he teaches. Thanks for the reply and cheers.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
aikispike
Dojo: Yoshinkan
Canada

I hear its pretty good. The assistant instructors are okay too.

Spike

--
Michael Kimeda
Old 09-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Oh Man...That was good!
B,
R (coming down for Utada's anniversary by any chance?)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 09-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
aikispike
Canada

Did you go?

Quote:
Sebastian Barant wrote: View Post
Thanks for the reply Adam, I am definitely going to check the Dojo out and talk to Kimeda Sensei. I also agree with you that the instructor is more important then the style that he teaches. Thanks for the reply and cheers.

--
Michael Kimeda
Old 09-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
aikispike
Canada

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
R (coming down for Utada's anniversary by any chance?)
I didn't know about it. When is it? I really doubt I can get the time to go, but you never know...

--
Michael Kimeda
Old 09-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Spike! Good to hear from you again, I hope you and your family are well.

Quote:
35th Anniversary of the AANA
This year marks Yukio Utada Kancho's 35th year teaching Aikido in the United States, and marks the 35th Anniversary of the founding of the Aikido Association of North America. Please join the Doshinkan Dojo in celebrating Kancho's 35th anniversary, on Saturday, October 10th, 2009 at the Kendrick Recreation Center in the Roxborough section of Philadelphia, PA, and Sunday, October 11th, 2009, at the Mandell Theater on the campus of Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA.

You may register online using the following packages:

35th Anniversary Seminar, Saturday (10am-12pm) - Place: Kendrick Recreation center, 5802 Ridge Ave, Philadelphia, Pa 19128. This price includes the cost of one demo ticket on Sunday, as well as a $5 website processing fee.

35th Anniversary Seminar, Saturday (1pm-3pm) - Place: Kendrick Recreation center, 5802 Ridge Ave, Philadelphia, Pa 19128. This price includes the cost of one demo ticket on Sunday, as well as a $5 website processing fee.

35th Anniversary Demo, Sunday (1pm - 2:30pm) - The demo will be held at the Mandell Theater: 3300 Chestnut St Philadelphia, PA 19104. The price online includes a discounted $10 registration fee, as well as a $5 website processing fee. The cost at the door is $25.

35th Anniversary Seminar and Demo (Everything) - This package includes both training sessions on Saturday October 10th (10a-noon, and 1p-3p, at the Kendrick Recreation center: 5802 Ridge Ave, Philadelphia, Pa 19128), as well as a ticket to the demonstration on Sunday October 11th (1p-2:30p, at the Mandell Theater: 3300 Chestnut St Philadelphia, PA 19104).
All are welcome! You can sign up on the website :http://www.doshinkan-aikido.org/
Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 09-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
Cannea
Canada

Hi Michael

Yes I did go, I am pretty sure I saw you there training two white belts a men and a women. Or at least I think that was you as I got the "Look" as in.... "is that the internet dude Look" as I came into the dojo.

I like the way you guys teach, you were helping the two white belts, the other white belts were parred up with black belts and Kimeda Sensei was watching everybody (and correcting them). Even the people that thought they were not being watched .

I will come later this week and sign up.