Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #1
lil_aiki_man
History of Aikido in Malaysia

Hi all,

I would like to highlight the History of Aikido in Malaysia
who claimed that this person is the Founder of Aikido.

http://www.aikikaimy.com/
- please click the image "Aikido Founder of Malaysia"

For those who are not aware, Aikido in Malaysia started by Thamby Rajah Sensei in 1952. He has been awarded by Malaysia Book of Record as The First Aikido School in Malaysia and also The Oldest/Longest Practising Aikido Teacher.

Even, Malaysia Aikido Association also recognized that Thamby Rajah Sensei is the first person who started Yoshinkan Aikido in Seremban.
- Refer, http://www.aikido-maa.com/history.php

I think that website is misleading.

Regards,
little-aiki-man
Old 01-25-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
David Yap
Malaysia
Re: History of Aikido in Malaysia

Quote:
Azlan Ahmad wrote: View Post
Hi all,

I would like to highlight the History of Aikido in Malaysia
who claimed that this person is the Founder of Aikido....I think that website is misleading.

Regards,
little-aiki-man
Dear Little Ki Man (sorry, pun intended),

Thank you for directing me to the website for a view of the article.

The story is actually about Tun Datuk Patinggi Haji Abdul Rahman Ya'kub, the former Chief Minister and later Governor of the State of Sarawak in East Malaysia, who was the person primarily responsible for introduction of Japanese martial arts (including aikido) in Sarawak. The author of the article might have wished to give credit and his/her appreciation to Tun Datuk Patinggi Haji Abdul Rahman Ya'kub - so, let it be. For us Malaysians, it is given that we have two localities, West Malaysia and East Malaysia. For most of us who have been abroad we found that a lot of foreigners do not even know where Malaysia is located.

The aikido community in Malaysia is so so small, nothing worth politicking but rather reconciling.

Yours in aiki

David Y

Last edited by David Yap : 01-25-2008 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

One is the founder of the aikikai lineage and the other is of the yoshinkan lineage.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

I don't think both website is misleading Malaysians, but it is a fact because lineages of Aikikai and Yoshinkan in Malaysia are different. As i remember, Michael Tham Sensei brought Aikikai Aikido to KL at 1970s.

KamiKaze
Old 02-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
boyana
United_States

Interesting.Thank you!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:24 AM   #6
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Anthony Wong wrote: View Post
...As i remember, Michael Tham Sensei brought Aikikai Aikido to KL at 1970s.
Hi Anthony,

Wow. I've met you and trained with you. You look too young to have started aikido in the 70's. Just joking, you probably meant to say that you've read from somewhere about Michael Tham starting aikido class in KL YMCA in the early 70's.

Way, way back in the late 60's (I must have been 10 or 11 at that time) my cousin sister was a trainee teacher in a secondary school in Port Dickson. She commuted from PD to Seremban almost everyday to train with Thamby Rajah sensei. Yes, I might have my first induction to Aikido at that age. Yes, she was a peer of Michael Tham sensei and she still remembers some of the people she trained with those good ole days. She is now little over 60 and the best part is that the last time I met and spoke with Thamby Rajah sensei, he could still remember her about 40 years later and amongst the hundreds of his students.

When I started my restaurant, I had the golden opportunities to meet some of the people who had trained aikido in the 70's with Michael Tham sensei either in Seremban or at the KL YMCA. I have heard some first hand accounts of the history of aikikai aikido in West Malaysia from these folks. Perhaps I will write about my "interviews" with these interesting folks one fine day.

As I have mentioned before, the history of aikido in Malaysia is not just about Yoshinkan or Aikikai lineages but also from the Peninsular Malaysians' and East Malaysians' points of views.

Regards

David Y
Old 02-22-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Thanks for a lot, David!

KamiKaze