Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #451
Tengu859
Dojo: Yushinkan NYC
United_States
Re: Spiritual and i/p

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
I agree..

Peace.G.
I'm glad you like. Take care. Enjoy life. Your on your own path...

ChrisW

Old 06-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #452
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Ok. Thank you for answering. I didn't mean to provoke in any way.

I just don't understand the intention to seperate a given word with oblique stroke. In the Geman language this wouldn't make any sense at all. There would be no "information" in it.
It's just an initialism. Like shorthand. It may be lazy grammar technically but very common here. Sure you know what it stands for.

I could have said: Spiritual Aikido fe de conscious man dem and de udder ip ting deh fe dem internal people dem.

Peace.G.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #453
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Spiritual Aikido fe de conscious man dem and de udder ip ting deh fe dem internal people dem.
So you've been telling us...

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 06-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #454
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
United_States

Quote:
Sure you know what it stands for.
I seem to recall many a post of yours which chastises others for assuming what you do or do not know.

Quote:

I could have said: Spiritual Aikido fe de conscious man dem and de udder ip ting deh fe dem internal people dem.
And just as intelligible as your previous posts. RASTA!

Haha.
Ah Graham, you crack me up.

Take care,
Anthony

Old 06-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #455
sorokod
United Kingdom

Quote:
It's just an initialism. Like shorthand. It may be lazy grammar technically but very common here.

Peace.G.
Very common? In U/K?

Old 06-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #456
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

For Carsten: Very common in English, although formally incorrect. Like using quotes around words on signs or putting an apostrophe before the final 's' on words that don't need it. I think people feel like a bunch of letters got left out, you should have something in there to show that they're gone. I'P? I.P.? That would be correct, actually.) I-P? But a capitalized acronym doesn't need anything.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #457
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Thank you very much!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #458
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
It's just an initialism. Like shorthand. It may be lazy grammar technically but very common here. Sure you know what it stands for.

Peace.G.
Dear Graham,
The last quote [Rasta] is more intelligent than some of your other quotes.Why not just carry on using the Jamaica patois?Cheers, Joe.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #459
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Graham,
The last quote [Rasta] is more intelligent than some of your other quotes.Why not just carry on using the Jamaica patois?Cheers, Joe.
Joe

I trust your good lady is knitting you a rainbow coloured tea cozy ?

Henry Ellis
Co-author `Positive Aikido`
http://britishaikidoboard.blogspot.com/

Old 06-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #460
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Dear Graham,
Joe:

I think that we should put that to the test as well.... My friend from Kingston and I will drop him off in some nice places like Trivoli Gardens, Trenchtown, Spanishtown. etc. and see how the Patois hold up

Be Well my friend,

Marc Abrams

Old 06-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #461
graham christian
England

Quote:
Dear Graham,
Joe. Niceness my friend. Ya see, me na deal wit no intelligentia ya know. A genalship dat. (ya see dat word deh com from old time man deh, de generals.) So, dem man av de big word dem and dem inteligence but ya know wah, dem fool!!! Dem ave two face..

How do you like that?

Henry? Ya see big man don't affa chat so, me no know why im affa gwan so like me uncle......

Marc...ah true ting dat.....mek sure ya friend na deal wid no understanding ya hear me, im mus overstand de overstandings an no deal wid no dibby dibby business....

Peace.G.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #462
Tengu859
United_States

Yo G,

Mi hav fi ask ya. Is what you consider "true" aiki a martial art or is jus a spiritual path? The thread been long and winding, to go back and reread would take too much time... Thanks.

CW

Old 06-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #463
graham christian
England

Quote:
Chris Western wrote: View Post
Yo G,

Mi hav fi ask ya. Is what you consider "true" aiki a martial art or is jus a spiritual path? The thread been long and winding, to go back and reread would take too much time... Thanks.

CW
Yeah, it's a bit long.

I believe it is both. True spiritual path and thus true martial art.

Peace.G.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #464
Tengu859
United_States

G,

10-04. Enjoy!!! Take care.

CW

Old 06-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #465
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Joe. Niceness my friend. Ya see, me na deal wit no intelligentia ya know. A genalship dat. (ya see dat word deh com from old time man deh, de generals.) So, dem man av de big word dem and dem inteligence but ya know wah, dem fool!!! Dem ave two face..

How do you like that?

Henry? Ya see big man don't affa chat so, me no know why im affa gwan so like me uncle......

Marc...ah true ting dat.....mek sure ya friend na deal wid no understanding ya hear me, im mus overstand de overstandings an no deal wid no dibby dibby business....

Peace.G.
Graham,
The mail above would make a good rap song/Ska song.Your wasting your talent .Rather than sitting at the keyboard telling us about the many aspects of your aikido, you could be making loadsamoney as the worlds first Aikido rapper sensation.Cheers, Joe.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #466
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Joe:

I think that we should put that to the test as well.... My friend from Kingston and I will drop him off in some nice places like Trivoli Gardens, Trenchtown, Spanishtown. etc. and see how the Patois hold up

Be Well my friend,

Marc Abrams
Hi Marc,
Are you testing Grahams vocal skills in Rasta talk, or are you suggesting that you are trying to lose him somewhere?Be a good fellow , send out a rescue party for Graham[not too early ] or lend him a sat nav, to get back to civilization.Cheers, Joe

Old 06-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #467
graham christian
England

Quote:
Graham,
The mail above would make a good rap song/Ska song.Your wasting your talent .Rather than sitting at the keyboard telling us about the many aspects of your aikido, you could be making loadsamoney as the worlds first Aikido rapper sensation.Cheers, Joe.
Just feel it Joe, then blend and flow, Aikido.....yo!

Peace.G.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #468
graham christian
England

(Aiki...is not...and never was...about joining.)

Just read this on another thread. Is this an Aiki perspective?
Peace.G.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #469
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
United_States

Quote:

Peace.G.
Which thread? Is it better than this one?
Regards,
Anthony

Old 06-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #470
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:

Peace.G.
I think that would depend on the semantics. I'm guessing this essentially means that aiki is not about compromising yourself for the sake of another, which is, I think, the meaning some folks apply to the idea of harmonizing with an attacker (in some kind of de factor sense, at least). My understanding, limited though it obviously is, is that aiki essentially forces connection...or at least includes, an irresistable force of attraction...that "sticky" quality.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #471
graham christian
England

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
I think that would depend on the semantics. I'm guessing this essentially means that aiki is not about compromising yourself for the sake of another, which is, I think, the meaning some folks apply to the idea of harmonizing with an attacker (in some kind of de factor sense, at least). My understanding, limited though it obviously is, is that aiki essentially forces connection...or at least includes, an irresistable force of attraction...that "sticky" quality.
Take care,
Matt
That's interesting. Like sticky hands in wing chun?

The reference of not ever being about joining was followed by a sentence saying it was always learned solo, before ever touching hands.

That all fits with my view on I/P and puts it in perspective for me. Back to internal stuff yet nothing to do with Aikido.

Peace. G.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #472
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
I think so...similar at least. My thinking had to do with a quality to practice where once connected, ideally aite cannot seperate unless tori allows for it.

Quote:
The reference of not ever being about joining was followed by a sentence saying it was always learned solo, before ever touching hands.

That all fits with my view on I/P and puts it in perspective for me. Back to internal stuff yet nothing to do with Aikido.

Peace. G.
I couldn't say for sure of course, but my guess is this might have to do with meditation practices like chinkon no gyo, designed to focus on the integration of forces within the body; centering around centers of power like hara, etc. I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with Aikido. It might not be necessary for its practice, but I get the sense it can be a very big and central part of it and that O Sensei pobably felt it was important.
I'm not sure of much though, so, for whatever it's worth...
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #473
DH
United_States

Quote:

Peace. G.
And the founder ...of...aikido would completely disagree with you. You don't get it Graham and none of the Teachers I have met ...in...aikido can function against what I am doing.
Why?
Because I (and others as well) am the one doing the aiki...do, that Ueshiba was talking about. The teachers I have met have no ability to blend with me, or move me with aiki because they quite simply do not know what aiki truly is.
When Osensei said "I am the universe" He was not making an egotistical or shamanistic statement. You need to develop aiki in you, then when someone touches you, your ki controls their ki.
"Aiki in me, before aiki between thee and me."
I am very well aware of the fact that this is diametrically opposed to the accepted doctrine of modern Aikido. I am also intimately aware of the fact that my view (which is the classical view Ueshiba kept talking about) continues to completely take apart all those who practice your view. In other words. Your aikido ceases to function against aiki.
Ignorance of thousands of years of Asian teaching doesn't make someone correct or the result of their mistranslations now...true. It just makes them ignorant of profound truths.

Where we stand now is that people want to eliminate "competition" or success against pressure for the simple reason that it then allows all manner of New-age spirituality and personal spirituality to be acceptable and equally true or valid as a practice, when none of it empowers them to actually do..anything of worth against those who know the correct model.
Ueshiba was right and it seems desperately ignorant to ignore the fact that he...always won, and those practicing this way...keep winning as well.

Graham
I will be happy to check in with you when I can meet one of you who can do "aiki" with me. I will be the first to shout it from the roof tops!!!
In the mean time, I will continue to practice ...and quote...what Ueshiba was talking about, while everyone I continue to meet in Aikido stands there dumbfounded at what HIS work produces!
It is stunningly obvious that he was right after all.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 06-16-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #474
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Matthew Gano wrote:

"...aiki essentially forces connection...or at least includes, an irresistable force of attraction...that "sticky" quality."

Quote:
Like sticky hands in wing chun?
No. I think he means that the person who grabs an aiki person finds it difficult to let go of them.

Wing Chun sticky hands is a technique. The wing chun man learns to stick to the other guy and lead him.

What I mean is when you can't let go of the aiki man--no matter where you grab him. As Matt said, "an irresistible force of attraction" that comes from the body of the aiki practitioner. You become stuck to him and must go where he goes.

I, unfortunately, have not developed that but I have felt it with others. Very few, but some.

FWIW

David

Last edited by David Orange : 06-16-2012 at 12:26 PM.

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 06-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #475
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States

David,

Can this sticky-Aiki be done without First affecting the uki's frame/structure?
And, if so, can it be done without touching (like a magnetic force) uke's body?
Can it also Act as a repelling force without making contact with uke's body?

With great interest,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Parkerson : 06-16-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Closed Thread