Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
RED
United_States
Winter Camp 2009

Hey I just got back from Winter Camp 2009 in south Florida.
I was wondering if anyone else on here went to it? I was wondering because I've noticed there isn't a great deal of USAF members that I've yet to meet on this site.
I'd be cool if anyone else went. There was like 400 people there.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
tim evans
United_States
Re: Winter Camp 2009

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
Hey I just got back from Winter Camp 2009 in south Florida.
I was wondering if anyone else on here went to it? I was wondering because I've noticed there isn't a great deal of USAF members that I've yet to meet on this site.
I'd be cool if anyone else went. There was like 400 people there.
Hey maggie my sensei from cincinnati was there hes also the new chairman of the board for the usaf charlie mcginnis along with susan monroe,arif mehter shihan my daytime instructor pat patton walter oka a few students btw the unique training expierence you started a thread about was it at this camp if so I know your training partner
Old 11-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Christpher Crandall
Dojo: Raleigh Aikikai
United_States

Hi Maggie -

Mostly a lurker here and you probably don't know me (although we may have some common USAF friends), but I made it to camp this year as well. 5 of us from Raleigh made it down. Actually, one of my students took her shodan test at camp so it was a good camp for us.

-Chris
Old 11-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
RED
United_States

Quote:
Tim Evans wrote: View Post
Hey maggie my sensei from cincinnati was there hes also the new chairman of the board for the usaf charlie mcginnis along with susan monroe,arif mehter shihan my daytime instructor pat patton walter oka a few students btw the unique training expierence you started a thread about was it at this camp if so I know your training partner
I worked out with sooo many people lol. I'm the short round red headed chick

I remember them talking about the change in chairmen at the meet and greet.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
RED
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Crandall wrote: View Post
Hi Maggie -

Mostly a lurker here and you probably don't know me (although we may have some common USAF friends), but I made it to camp this year as well. 5 of us from Raleigh made it down. Actually, one of my students took her shodan test at camp so it was a good camp for us.

-Chris
Which student was yours', the young girl with the hurt wrist, or the older lady?
It was sad, some guys got failed on their shodan tests.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
...some guys got failed on their shodan tests.
BUT it does show that there's good quality control. that's a good thing.

winter camp is one of my favorite seminars to go to. i always look forward to shibata sensei's classes, but didn't make it this year.

practice hard
Old 11-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
RED
United_States

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
BUT it does show that there's good quality control. that's a good thing.

winter camp is one of my favorite seminars to go to. i always look forward to shibata sensei's classes, but didn't make it this year.
Yeah, Yamada Sensei explained the next morning what was some of the technical issues with the Shodan tests.

This was my first Winter Camp and I was really looking forward to the Randori. There were a few good go arounds, but some of them it felt like the Uke should of just got in a line. Randori is really where the quality of the Aikidoka comes out.

I took two of Shibata Sensei's classes. He was scary good. Very martial. He really didn't teach any specific technique. He just had guys attack him and he did whatever he felt like. Then he'd yell for everyone to train. lol It was hard to get used to at first. He mostly just scanned the sea of people training and threw them randomly as he went. It was cool.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
Christpher Crandall
Dojo: Raleigh Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Which student was yours', the young girl with the hurt wrist, or the older lady?
It was sad, some guys got failed on their shodan tests.
She was the one with the wrist brace.

Failure is a part of life. Shame on their instructors though for putting them up when they weren't ready. I spend the year before the test getting a student ready so that they are ready for anything. Last year at winter camp my guy had a 40 minute shodan test (20min ukemi/20min test). He was ready for it and still had some in the tank when he was done. You gotta be prepared for whatever they throw at you.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
RED
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Crandall wrote: View Post
She was the one with the wrist brace.

Failure is a part of life. Shame on their instructors though for putting them up when they weren't ready. I spend the year before the test getting a student ready so that they are ready for anything. Last year at winter camp my guy had a 40 minute shodan test (20min ukemi/20min test). He was ready for it and still had some in the tank when he was done. You gotta be prepared for whatever they throw at you.
Oh yeah, three of our guys tested last year.
I still hear about the 40 minute tests. We clocked this years' test at 9 minutes. Some one told us that 40 minute test were going to be the new standard,... but never under estimate the call of spaghetti dinner!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #10
RED
United_States

Quote:
Oh yeah, three of our guys tested last year.
I still hear about the 40 minute tests. We clocked this years' test at 9 minutes. Some one told us that 40 minute test were going to be the new standard,... but never under estimate the call of spaghetti dinner!
Our guys said they clocked their test at 50 minutes... much too long! No one can ever complain about a black belt test to them a tleast.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
BC

We only had a couple members of our dojo go down this year. I heard the sandan tests this year were awesome...

Robert Cronin