Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #26
raul rodrigo
Philippines
Re: dirty uniform

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Vinegar doesn't "fix" indigo. It might conceivably help the fabric shed the massively excess amount of dye applied to it, but probably no more than simple wash/rinse/repeat will.
So that explains it. An aikido "old wives tale," so to speak?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #27
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I don't disagree that it isn't something that a man couldn't say, but depending on the person and their personality, sometimes one method is better then another. I guess an example would be if you had your zipper down at work. Sure you would want someone to tell you. Some would prefer to be told in a quiet subtle way. Others could care less if you yelled across the room "JOHN! YOUR FLY IS DOWN!"

On another note, just because someone is an adult doesn't mean that they aren't shy and sensitive. Everyone feels awkward when they first join a dojo. It was just a suggestion that could help minimize the embarrassment or the awkwardness of the situation.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:14 AM   #28
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Hello,

in my dojo no one cares who wears make up, who stinks and who has long finger- or toenails. If a gi gets smeared, you can wash it, can't you? Most people do that anyway after class, so where is the problem? And if we don't stink sweaty at the beginning of the training, we sure do at the end - so where's the point?

But I remember when training in Azerbaidjan, I had my usual make-up, and before training a woman came with some mirror and a make-up box and said something in Russian. I didn't understand anything; I thought maybe my make-up was out of order and she gave that to fix it again. So I put some more colour on...and that was exactly the wrong thing. She said something more in Russian which I still didn't understand, and afterwards another woman came and explained I was supposed to take the make-up OFF. So I did, but until reading this thread I still hadn't understood why; I kept thinking that taking off make-up was maybe an Azeri aikido ritual.

However, I think there is no point in getting offended, neither by someone's make-up on your kimono nor by someone telling you to take off your make-up (or to cut your nails, to take off your gold chain, to wash your feet or whatever).

Have a nice day!

Eva
Old 03-08-2011, 03:51 AM   #29
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Eva, I don't mind the occasional strong odor. But there are some people who can knock down an uke just by raising their arms. Seriously. Doing the waza is hard enough without throwing chemical warfare into the mix.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:57 AM   #30
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote: View Post
Eva, I don't mind the occasional strong odor. But there are some people who can knock down an uke just by raising their arms. Seriously. Doing the waza is hard enough without throwing chemical warfare into the mix.
Raul, that is Ki (-li-kili) power!

Sorry, everyone.. inside joke..

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 03-08-2011, 04:10 AM   #31
raul rodrigo
Philippines

"Inside" to any Filipino on Aikiweb, that is. Hi, Sito. For Pinoys, it's a wisecrack that's hard to resist.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #32
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Sorry Mary, I don't see the strawman either. Your suggestion that it best be handled by the other women of the dojo gave rise to my comment. I simply don't see any reason why any person in the dojo couldn't successfully speak to this woman in a polite and tactful way. Your advice sounded to me as if you considered it inappropriate that a male address the issue, thus suggesting to me that political correctness was rearing it's head. If that wasn't your intent, then I apologize. If it was, I will ask one of the women to offer you my apologies for offending you.
There's a difference between tact and political correctness, although lately it seems that fewer and fewer people understand the distinction, and are quick to yell, "Political correctness!" anytime someone suggests the use of tact.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #33
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

When I was teaching a class at BCC one of the female exchange students had terrible foot odor. She wore awful smelling sweaty socks and really didn't want to take them off. She spoke very little English and I spoke even less of her language so comuncation was tricky. She was very large and socially awkward. My goal was for least possible amount of harm from her classmates.
So I prayed for an idea...It came. I bought her six pairs of really cute socks and asked her to change into to them especially for class. She loved the idea and the gift.
It worked...she was a dear heart and such a gift to me and the rest of the class.
Mary
Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #34
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
I bought her six pairs of really cute socks and asked her to change into to them especially for class. She loved the idea and the gift.
It worked...she was a dear heart and such a gift to me and the rest of the class.
Mary
In this case you were sizing up an entire situation and came up with an elegant solution!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #35
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Like most things... Sempai should step up first and point out the issue. I have zero problem with Mary M's approach as it strikes me as a reasonable, sensitive approach. But if that isn't going to happen I have zero problem letting someone know that I don't want to explain lipstick on my gi to my wife later. It just isn't the place for makeup. Or jewelery. Or hygiene problems. Or whatever. This ain't really a dojo issue so much as just a "people gettin' along" issue. Seems like a minor thing to me. Just say something. It's not the place for makeup nor is it the place for 3 inch fingernails. Simple as that.

One kid came back from vacation once with all sorts of beads braided into her hair. Caught one of those in my face. Suggested either a beanie cap or taking out the damned beads next time...

Old 03-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #36
dps

Quote:
Eva Röben wrote: View Post
I kept thinking that taking off make-up was maybe an Azeri aikido ritual.
lol

dps

Last edited by dps : 03-08-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Go ahead, tread on me.