Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #351
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
United_States
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

If a mere crack occurs in SPF4 from an earthquake, then Japan will literally be finished. A collapse of the building isn't necessary as Gundersen reported before. If that happens how long before TEPCO lets people know, or would they have to keep it out of the media indefinitely?

Dr. Hiroaki Koide, Research Associate at the Research Reactor Institute of Kyoto University
Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #352
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

I have tried to keep balanced view on the fukushima situation over the past year, but I'm coming to the conclusion that this is still a potentially massive disaster for Japan. We know at this stage that people as far away as Tokyo and Chibe recieved much higher doses of radiation than were initially announced.

On top of that, fish in lakes in Gunma are testing five times the limit for caesium.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120404x2.html

A tenth of the country has been contaminated:

http://abcasiapacificnews.com/storie...11/3373127.htm

This article also addresses something I have wondered for the past year: Why the government/Tepco didn't encase the whole site in concrete:

http://enenews.com/breaking-mainichi...play-the-risks

Basically, the radiation in this reactor is so strong that it cannot send robots in to asses the damage!
Humans would die within seven minutes.

IMO, they need to encase the reactor in concrete and declare a huge area a no-go zone.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #353
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States

I guess eating fish is safer than previously thought.

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...-fukushima.ars
Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #354
oisin bourke

Ireland

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
I guess eating fish is safer than previously thought.

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...-fukushima.ars
Not if it's from lakes in Gunma!

Seriously, though, I really hope that's right. I'm not into scaremongering. People in Japan have enough problems. However, even in fairly optimistic pieces such as this, you have the final two paragraphs:

"The authors use a computer model of the local currents to figure out how much radioactivity must have been discharged to produce the pattern they see. The answer turns out to be on the high side of estimates (22 PetaBecquerels), indicating that the direct discharge was a significant route for contamination, accounting for about two-thirds of the total radioactivity release.

Nevertheless, the isotopes that landed on the ground have stayed there, creating a serious contamination problem that may take years to resolve. Although the seas in the immediate vicinity of Fukushima probably experienced a very high dose of radioactivity during the months immediately after the disaster, as long as none of the isotopes accumulate in any organisms, the effects are unlikely to be long-lasting.
"

This is the piece that reminded me that the problem is still really bad:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120329a1.html
Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #355
Tenyu
United_States

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post
I have tried to keep balanced view on the fukushima situation over the past year, but I'm coming to the conclusion that this is still a potentially massive disaster for Japan. We know at this stage that people as far away as Tokyo and Chibe recieved much higher doses of radiation than were initially announced.
Oisin,

‘Your' description is very similar, nearly verbatim, to the media's doublethink. "Potentially" implies it's not already the largest industrial disaster in history. "Received" implies Tokyo residents aren't still receiving doses indefinitely into the future or that the corium in each building is no longer fissioning, in fact it's been increasing at times if you follow enenews. Tokyo's tap water reservoir is less than 40 miles from Gunma which I posted on before. The only reason fish from that region's testing above government limits now because they just lowered (link) the limits from a temporary ‘full blown crime-against-humanity' 500 bq/kg to an ‘acceptable crime-against-humanity' 100 bq/kg. I also just posted Gundersen's random ‘non-cherry picked' soil sample tests from Tokyo last month in David's thread. With all the data I've been posting it's unbelievable, not that anything surprises me anymore, anyone would consider posting propaganda articles saying only 10% of Japan's land has been contaminated. TEPCO's been building a tent around one of the reactor buildings if you haven't seen? It's not meant to contain the radiation, as that's impossible, but to funnel it out the top directly into the atmosphere to mitigate exposure for workers on site.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #356
oisin bourke

Ireland

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
Oisin,

‘Your' description is very similar, nearly verbatim, to the media's doublethink. "Potentially" implies it's not already the largest industrial disaster in history. "Received" implies Tokyo residents aren't still receiving doses indefinitely into the future or that the corium in each building is no longer fissioning, in fact it's been increasing at times if you follow enenews. Tokyo's tap water reservoir is less than 40 miles from Gunma which I posted on before. The only reason fish from that region's testing above government limits now because they just lowered (link) the limits from a temporary ‘full blown crime-against-humanity' 500 bq/kg to an ‘acceptable crime-against-humanity' 100 bq/kg. I also just posted Gundersen's random ‘non-cherry picked' soil sample tests from Tokyo last month in David's thread. With all the data I've been posting it's unbelievable, not that anything surprises me anymore, anyone would consider posting propaganda articles saying only 10% of Japan's land has been contaminated. TEPCO's been building a tent around one of the reactor buildings if you haven't seen? It's not meant to contain the radiation, as that's impossible, but to funnel it out the top directly into the atmosphere to mitigate exposure for workers on site.
Well, I am couching my language because, as I have said, I don't want to add to unnesscecary hysteria. Therefore, I am limiting my statements to what can be verified by reputable news sources.
By "potentially" I mean that an event such as the mass evacuation of Tokyo has not happened, but it is still possible. Government sources have confirmed dosages recieved.

TBH, there is so much hearsay and rumor, it is impossible to verify what's real and what's not.

However, even being cautious, it's still really serious.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #357
Tenyu
United_States

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post
Well, I am couching my language because, as I have said, I don't want to add to unnesscecary hysteria. Therefore, I am limiting my statements to what can be verified by reputable news sources.
"Reputable news sources" are nothing more than public relations arm of business, they don't exist to educate but to obfuscate. They're commercials and noise to drown out signal.

Quote:
By "potentially" I mean that an event such as the mass evacuation of Tokyo has not happened, but it is still possible. Government sources have confirmed dosages recieved.
Surely you jest or speak purely metaphysically. Fukushima City has yet to be evacuated and their population is less than 1% of Tokyo's.

Quote:
TBH, there is so much hearsay and rumor, it is impossible to verify what's real and what's not.
I've posted many videos of Gundersen speaking for himself, horse's mouth doesn't qualify as hearsay nor rumor. If you've given any attention to my posts you'd already know much of his credentials, but here they are again.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #358
Tenyu
United_States

12 to 16 million becquerels/m^2 in Nihonmatsu, approximately 80 km from Daiichi.

Press conference in NYC.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #359
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States

http://www.nature.com/news/fukushima...allied-1.10686

Few people will develop cancer as a consequence of being exposed to the radioactive material that spewed from Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant last year — and those who do will never know for sure what caused their disease. These conclusions are based on two comprehensive, independent assessments of the radiation doses received by Japanese citizens, as well as by the thousands of workers who battled to bring the shattered nuclear reactors under control.

The first report, seen exclusively by Nature, was produced by a subcommittee of the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR) in Vienna, and covers a wide swathe of issues related to all aspects of the accident. The second, a draft of which has been seen by Nature, comes from the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva, Switzerland, and estimates doses received by the general public in the first year after the accident. Both reports will be discussed at UNSCEAR’s annual meeting in Vienna this week.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #360
Tenyu
United_States

We're already well familiar with Pluto-san.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #361
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States

3 interesting articles:

http://enenews.com/former-fukushima-...usly-every-day

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/wo...says.html?_r=1

http://enenews.com/mainichi-expert-s...comment-page-1
Old 05-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #362
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/25/wo..._r=1&src=rechp
Read this and thought of this thread...

Gambarimashyo!
Old 05-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #363
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/25/wo..._r=1&src=rechp
Read this and thought of this thread...
Yeah, that's why I was absolutely unconcerned with "becquerels" and other infinitesimally precise terms our resident experts were throwing out right after the incident started. If I don't know the difference between a millimeter and a centimeter, well, that's on me. But such quibbles hardly matter when the problem is thousands or even millions of times higher than TEPCO and the government admit.

Thanks.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 05-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #364
Chris Parkerson
United_States

I am more concerned about the cesium release that the short half life threats.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #365
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Check this out you sushi lovers:
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/...radiation.html
Old 06-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #366
Tenyu
United_States

Up to 650 million becquerels per square meter (not kilometer) in Minamisoma where evacuation order was recently lifted.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #367
Tenyu
United_States

Quote:
Up to 650 million becquerels per square meter (not kilometer) in Minamisoma where evacuation order was recently lifted.
Quick calculation = 65,000 becquerels per square CENTIMETER.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #368
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Quick calculation = 65,000 becquerels per square CENTIMETER.
But that's only dangerous if you understand what a becquerel is.

If most people, like me, don't even understand what a becquerel is, there's no danger at all.

David

Thanks for keeping us posted.

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 06-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #369
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Hmmm ... Science 1 July 2012 shows a > 3,000,000Bq/M2.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.