Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWiki

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-04-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
akiy

RealLife

This is the discussion thread for the AikiWiki article "RealLife".

Please add comments below regarding the article.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
MikeLogan

United_States
Re: RealLife

Were everyone of these experiences shared by the same person?
Quote:
I got into a bad argument with a man. I struck him and held him with a kotegashi pin. He suggested we discuss it outside, and stupidly I followed him.
Try to get as much out of that as I did, it's really all you needed to say. Or even stop at just:
Quote:
I got into a bad argument with a man. I struck him...
As for the rest of it, all fine observations, but you could get a lot more mileage out of them if you back up a bit for a larger perspective. Most of these situations you had no need to involve yourself at the moment in which you did. The occasion of the karate instructor being pinned I agree with your decision for sake of the conversation, as well as seeing to your girlfriend when two strange men claim to be advocating her interests, but even that situation should have been felt out a bit further. You could have asked them to walk with you so you could make sure she got home alright. If they don't respond favorably to your rational request it will at least give you something better to go on, instead of popping some random do-gooder in the eye.

I don't want to come off as saying you shouldn't have gotten yourself into these situations. Not all of us are monks. Thanks for sharing, even if it was anonymously.

michael.

Last edited by MikeLogan : 04-04-2007 at 11:13 PM.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

Helping others is good. Too many people turn a blind eye to helping others in need. "It's not my business," seems to be a battle cry today. I would rather be wrong 99 times in responding to a call for help than to miss that one time.

When I first began training aikido, my instructor impressed upon me the importance of ukewaza and ukemi by saying, "you need to control yourself before you can start controlling others." I think that many aikido people falsely believe they control others when they practice aikido. This misperception of control then expands to the real world and can lead to dangerous situations. We all wish to make brave and courageous decisions to help others in need, but sometimes we don't quite have enough training under our belts to see those decisions through.

Last edited by jonreading : 04-05-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:10 AM   #4
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Sounds like there was too much testosterone and not enough common sense involved.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."