Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 AM   #1
MarkWatson

Dojo: Alexandria Bushin Aikido
United Kingdom
Leaning ?

I Attended a course yesterday (7th March) and i can safely say that i have never felt so fufilled from an aikido sesion.
The course was tought by Sensei Tony Sergeant 6th dan Iwama Ryu. Sensei sergeant is a great teacher and has alot of expertise to teach us.

This year his focus was on leaning and posture. He helped us realise how 'rubbish' our posture was using techniques such as koshinage and kitenage. Last year his theme was footwork so this year really interwined and tought us more than we cared to realise.

I believed that my posture and balance was good and I was as solid as a 70 tonne bolder, how wrong and nieve I was.

He tought us how to feel rooted to the ground and to be one with the ground. To feel so solid as to be a 200 yr old tree. I felt so satisfied by the end of the course.

My point here is that matter how good you think your posture is you should seriuosly look at it and re-evaluate your technique posture.

Im glad I had the oppertunity to realise this early in my aikido career rather than later and into bad habbits.
I also got some satisfaction seing other dan grades being corrected in their posture. Guilty pleasure :P

Mark.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States
Re: Leaning ?

So after having this training, what is your definition of having good posture?

"Aikido is nothing but an expression of the spirit of Love for all living things."

Morihei Ueshiba
www.aikido-kajukenbo.com
Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
MarkWatson

United Kingdom

I find that good posture comes from my centre, my lower back and my uper legs. I feel the energy running down my legs, through the balls of my feet and deep into the ground. I feel the energy running through my arms, through my wrists (tino henko ending posture) and rooting into the soil beneath me.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
crbateman

For me, aikido is filled with these little "lightbulb moments". Sometimes it is good to re-learn that you really have much yet to learn.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Posture rooting and alignment are very important for power and stability. Any time your body gets too far over your hips you lose ground connection and stability.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

In that posture, how free are your legs to move?

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
MarkWatson

United Kingdom

Your legs are free to move as per normal its usual irimi tencan posture.