Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-29-2003, 05:40 AM   #1
Gustaf Rydevik
Dojo: Uppsala Aikikai
Dojo in Kyoto

Hi there!

My name is Gustaf Rydevik, and i will move to kyoto next semester to study at the KUINEP programme at Kyoto university (i'll be there oct -03 'til aug -04).
While in Japan, I'd like to continue training aikido, but have been unable to find any dojos on the net.
Does anyone know of any recommendable dojo nearby?

for what it's worth, I'm currently training at an Nishio Sensei affiliated aikikai dojo, and would preferably train in a not-so-different place (I'm only 5th kyu and still trying to get the basics right).

Thanks for any help,

Gustaf Rydevik
Old 04-29-2003, 05:45 AM   #2
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
I used to commute from Kyoto to the Seibukan in Kobe (about an hour give or take a few minutes) for a few months. THere are probably more dojo's a lot closer, but Nakao Sensei is well worth the trip.

If you look in the Town Pages (yellow pages) when you get there, you will find a couple or three dojo's listed. I never tried them though because I had already been introduced to Nakao Sensei and was very happy where I was.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 04-29-2003, 06:24 PM   #3
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
If you want to stay Aikikai Ze'ev's info is probably as good as your going to get.

I personally would take a little bit of a chance to explore further. The following page has a link to the Shodokan Kyoto branch.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/shodokan/en/index.html

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-30-2003, 09:07 AM   #4
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Aikido in Kyoto

There is also Aikido at the Budo Center - about 3 nights a week - with each class being about 90 min. The Budo Center is right in the middle of town - pretty much. Classes, when I was there were taught by Nomura Shihan, from the Osaka Aikikai. Folks came from many places, and from many federations to train there - classes were always on the larger side - and so I ran into many different styles. From there I had met some people under Nishio Sensei's lineage - e.g. they had a dojo in Yasu. Classes were on Tuesday (evening), Thursday (evening), and Saturday (morning). They had many seminars, camps, etc. - and on special occassions you get to train in the old dojo - which is supposed to be the oldest dojo building in all of Japan.

Hope that helps,

dmv
Old 05-01-2003, 01:02 PM   #5
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: Aikido in Kyoto

Quote:
David Valadez (senshincenter) wrote:
There is also Aikido at the Budo Center - about 3 nights a week - with each class being about 90 min. The Budo Center is right in the middle of town - pretty much. Classes, when I was there were taught by Nomura Shihan, from the Osaka Aikikai. Folks came from many places, and from many federations to train there - classes were always on the larger side - and so I ran into many different styles. From there I had met some people under Nishio Sensei's lineage - e.g. they had a dojo in Yasu. Classes were on Tuesday (evening), Thursday (evening), and Saturday (morning). They had many seminars, camps, etc. - and on special occassions you get to train in the old dojo - which is supposed to be the oldest dojo building in all of Japan.
I think thats where the Shodokan folks that Peter mentioned train. Like you said, many styles, I suppose. There's a map here, if that helps to find the place. It looks absolutely wonderful.

Sean

x
Old 05-01-2003, 04:11 PM   #6
senshincenter

United_States
hmmm? Maybe things have changed since I was last in Japan - it has been about three or five years now. On the map - yes that is the same place - the Budo Center right behind the Hiean Shrine. Only when I was there the class was affiliated with Osaka Aikikai, which was their own sub-federation under the Aikikai federation. Classes were taught by Nomura and not Nariyama. As I said, this is the same place, but either, now, Tomiki style has taken over the classes or classes are held at the same place on different days. The Budo Center is a big gym that has many different arts training there all at the same time - just using different days of the weeks and different times of the day. For example, to get to my Aikido classes, I had to park my bike near the naginata class, walk passed the iaido class, and then make my way to the Aikido area. On the way home, I passed by two or three different arts just to get to my bike again. :-) It was great training in the old dojo. But most often our classes were in the modern facility - which is pretty convenient during those harsher seasons like winter and summer. :-)

Thanks,

d

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:45 PM   #7
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
David - I suspect that both styles are taught on different days. I find it interesting though that two Osaka Shihans are teaching in Kyoto. That dojo is gorgeous though - isn't it?

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-01-2003, 06:55 PM   #8
senshincenter

United_States
Hi Peter,

Yes - the dojo is gorgeous. And there are two great places to eat around the corner as well. That's always a plus after a hard workout. One was a Mexican place that was really top notch - go figure, of all places, Japan. But the couple that ran the restaurant travelled to Mexico to learn how to cook Mexican cuisine. It is a great place with a great atmosphere - very intimate and friendly. The other is a raman place that I have to say had the best fried rice I have ever had! No other place came close! lol The Osaka Aikikai Hombu dojo is also quite nice as well but a bit expensive to get to from Kyoto on a regular basis. It is very modern but set to old-style flavor. There is another great, modern, dojo in Yasu - Nishio style. It had great facilities - very convenient. But my favorite dojo (for the building) was an Osaka Aikikai affiliate near Nara. The dojo was located in a Zen temple, and we actually practiced in the zendo itself. Wow! Talk about atmosphere! :-) Nothing quite like doing Tai-no-henko with Bodhidarma glaring down at you! (They had a big picture of him on the main wall of the zendo.)

Thanks for writing,

d

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:42 PM   #9
akiy

Dang it. Makes me a bit disappointed I didn't drop into the Kyoto Budokan when I was there in Kyoto a couple of summers back. I'm also still sorry I didn't get to hook up with you, Peter. Oh well.

Next time...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:14 AM   #10
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel
Re: Dojo in Kyoto

Times changed... I would recommend in Kyoto:
1. Aikido Kyoto (Yoko Okamoto Shihan): http://aikidokyoto.com/English/Eindex.html

2. Kyoto Budo-Center Aikikai group:

http://budothought.blogspot.com/2010...ma-san-to.html

http://budothought.blogspot.com/2010...-in-kyoto.html

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 03-12-2010, 04:56 AM   #11
nekobaka
Dojo: Washinkai (Kizu)
Japan

Nomura Shihan is no longer teaching at the budo center, it looks like there are a few instructors, head instructor being a direct student of Tanaka Bansen sensei. There have always been a lot of foreigners at that dojo, so no one will even bat a eye at another. also a lot of people practice there, which can be good for learning to practice with various kinds of people.
I'm a student of Nomura Shihan, and I think he is amazing. he teaches mostly in Nara and a few dojos in Osaka. Other people have recommended great instructors, it's well worth taking a trip to visit different dojos once in a while.

Nomura Shihan's links
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=JP&hl=ja&v=a1jkjP_LIUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuLwSJun-Sg
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~aikido-tennoji/
http://yamato-aikikai.jp/
Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
lls

Yoshida Tomoyuki is now the official sensei at the Kyoto Budo Center. He is from Osaka and he is also a teacher at the Osaka Aikikai Honbu Dojo. He is very good but people who are not used with the Osaka Akikai style might be a bit surprised. Some others are indeed former student of Tanaka Bansen.

Nomura Shihan stoped teaching there in 2005, sadly.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
raul rodrigo
Philippines

I can heartily recommend Nomura shihan, who taught a seminar in Manila last year. The other shihan in the Kyoto area I would like to train under would be Yoko Okamoto.