Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How often do you disagree with your aikido instructor's technical aikido explanations?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of June 15, 2008:

How often do you disagree with your aikido instructor's technical aikido explanations?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Always
  • Often
  • Sometimes
  • Seldom
  • Never
Here are the current results.

Cast your vote at the top right of this page.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo
Re: Poll: How often do you disagree with your aikido instructor's technical aikido ex

If you disagree with your instructor's explanations, why is she or he your instructor?

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 07-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: Poll: How often do you disagree with your aikido instructor's technical aikido ex

Quote:
Daniel Pierson wrote: View Post
If you disagree with your instructor's explanations, why is she or he your instructor?
Probably because there is no perfect instructor.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 07-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
justin
United Kingdom

Quote:
Daniel Pierson wrote: View Post
thats a bit of a black and white answer.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo

I was speaking in general- that's why I used that little "s" at the end of the word explanation .

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 07-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
Suru
United_States

I can only immediately think of one situation. It was kaiten nage and nage's inside leg ended up back, leaving the testes exposed. Looking back, this may have just been a variation of the technique, but when I practiced it I guess I employed some civil disobedience by doing it as I had learned from a different sensei before.

Drew
Old 07-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
SeiserL

United_States

Never.
I may not understand it, or it may not match the way I think about it, but I never disagree (especially publicly) with it.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
SeiserL

United_States

Never!

I may not understand their explanation, or it may not match the way I understand it, but I never disagree (especially publicly) with it.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

If I have a time of "disagreement" in my mind, I leave it there under the assumption I am not seeing the whole picture and will need some time to soak in the information being presented. At times I have seen the truth of an explanation with which I initially disagreed only after some significant reflection time.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
JAMJTX
Dojo: Aikibudo Seishinkan
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Never.
I may not understand it, or it may not match the way I think about it, but I never disagree (especially publicly) with it.
DITTO

Even when teaching I always make sure that what my teacher told me is included in the lesson. I may add my own thoughts but I never say "my teacher was wrong about that, this is the way it is".

If they later disagree with what was passed down from my teacher then that is up to them.

Jim Mc Coy
Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Charly C
United_States

I'd never assume him to be wrong -- there are an almost unlimited number of ways to explain how a technique is done, and IMO what makes it 'right' is when it results in the student executing it properly or achieving a new piece to the puzzle in understanding how and why to do it. Naturally, everyone is different, so I think that all teachers try to come up with several ways to explain aikido, and over time will gravitate towards using the languages that seem to be the most easily understood.

Sometimes the lessons come easiest from training with other beginners -- their latest epiphany can shed a new light of understanding on these things.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
jss
Netherlands

Since everyone is being so polite:
Major: Aikido instructors are people.
Minor: People make mistakes.
Conclusion: Sometimes what your aikido instructor says, is just plain wrong.

Addendum: a good instructor is not ashamed to admit it when he/she made a mistake.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #13
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

My Sensei actually encourages us (the "vetran students") to ask him when we disagree. Often, he may send sucha student to research and learn the reason.

I can currently recall one such case in which. When I asked about the Kata being performed, since it was obviously non-pratical. He showed me and my partner (another Yundasha) of our mistake, by showing the omote form.

I also recall cases where I remembered another variation of a kata which he showed, and he explained the diffrences and when to use which.
In our way of learning, such disagreements are a way of growth.

Amir
Old 07-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I never disagree-especially when I have felt it. I may not understand the way he communicates but it is not my position to question what he says other than to ask him for a clearer explanation or an add on question.